New Record Day Review of Tekton Impacts good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Manimal, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Subagent

Subagent All I know is What I Read in the Liner Notes

That’s pretty high-handed and not applicable to the way gguy has comported himself in this discussion. He likes the sound of speakers and said so. It seems to me that his concerns are bourne of limited experience rather than a desperate need for validation from card-carrying audiophiles and other smug experts.

2. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

There is no such thing as “correct sound”. What sounds “transparent” to one reviewer can be “bright” or “analytical” to another. One reviewer may prefer wide soundstage and pin-pointed instrument localization, another cares more about proper tonal balance and coherence. One reviewer wants to hear body and punch in the reproduction of electric guitar, another seeks naturalness in female baroque opera vocal. One reviewer has a large listening space, well-suited for big speakers, another may be having hard time to make those speakers “disappear” in his nearfield setup in a smaller room. Gear that sounds good to everyone or that can perfectly reproduce all genres of music does not exist. That’s why you should never trust reviews, trust your ears in your system and your room only.

RH67, morinix, nosliw and 1 other person like this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I was answering why some people care about reviews. My point wasn't high handed. My point was as long as the end user likes what they bought, who cares?

This from someone who bought and enjoys driving the least popular car in America. Literally.

displayname likes this.
  4. Subagent

Subagent All I know is What I Read in the Liner Notes

So you're the guy who drives the Volvo station wagon with the "I brake for antique shops" bumper sticker. Wait. That's the least popular car in my neighborhood. Never mind. ;)

rem 600, displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Amusing thread and worthless review. I have had plain vanilla Pendragons for a couple of years and still like them. In their price bracket they just sounded better to me than the alternatives I was able to audition here (Klipsch, Paragon, Revel, Golden Ear, Magneplanar are the ones that come to mind). Of course at that level I must note that stereo dealers don’t generally set speakers up and pair them with appropriate electronics as they do with higher end stuff. Anyway I like the Pens, but the way Tekton keeps changing things certainly makes an owner feel sort of left behind. So I generally ignore the buzz and just enjoy the music. When and if I change, I would probably look to something quite different, but when I bought these I wanted big speaker sound.

6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I just couldn't make it through that video, and I tried. Are we sure that isn't Chris Elliot doing a spoof?
    I mean it is a comically bad review.
    FWIW I have a pair of Double Impacts (w/ crossover cap and connector upgrades), and I was also going after a big speaker sound, these just seem to sound better everyday (I've had them for about 15 months), in my particular space they do magic and I haven't even played around with fine tuning placement, toe in or level adjust yet.
    I also got the grilles and I just leave them on.
    The last time I stumbled onto the Tekton site I noticed they had some interesting monitors specifically designed for low watt tube amps, given that they do squeeze great performance out of affordable, quality components, I am pretty curious what my pair would sound like with the twice the cost driver upgrades.
    It occurs to me at this stage that maybe some Tektons take their own sweet time to break in and that aspect might mitigate a reviewer's opinion - just a thought.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Kristofa, Manimal and RH67 like this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Azunyan! にゃーーー!

That's the power of YouTube with a camera and a voice.

You've got some good reviewers (IMO, I like HiVyNyws and barakapdub) and some really bad (cheapophiles who defend junk equipment like the LP60/Crosley players, people posting outright misinformation, make hyperbolic/embellishments, and other total nonsense junk by snake oil peddling audiophiles) on YouTube. Just because someone who post "high production" videos and have a voice of "authority" doesn't always mean they know what they're they're talking about.

Manimal, Subagent and zombiemodernist like this.
  8. JMAC

JMAC Forum Resident

The review made it sound like he had them for a year before finishing all the videos, though. A year should be long enough, no?

Clearly mistakes were made on New Record Day's side and Tekton's. I understand NRD's desire to just get the final video done and posted. Been there. But I wonder if he now wishes that he'd just scrapped the work he'd previously done on his video and created an entirely new one, a video with a clear message and no commentary patched on top of it.

They are actually perfect for each other in a way, because whether it's New Record Day waffling on becoming a reviewer-for-hire or Tekton changing their models every few months, they're both flying by the seat of their pants and hoping to arrive at something worthwhile.

9. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

The owner of the Tekton also has not answered this in the Youtube comments where individuals posed this question under his comments. Bottom line its a not a great review and it was a bit unprofessional for NRD to read the emails, but I feel the way Tekton is reacting is worse. With regards to being a truthful review, this is a paid review and NRD didnt give these speakers the most favourable review. Sounds truthful to me.

10. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I always view his site as one being run by an enthusiest (with a video camera) who figured out how to get demo gear sent to him. However, a lot of reviewers of hi-fi gear are in the same boat.

bongobill and displayname like this.
  11. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Agreed. But even those two better ones you listed have shared their fair share of misinformation, primarily because they refuse to do any empirical tests to coincide with their viewpoints like the established Hi-Fi magazine do. Sadly there really isn't any audiophile YouTube channel with a high standard of quality or consistency. Granted the magazines also struggle with pay-to-review models and questionable links to their advertisers, but most of these YouTube folks just profit from the fact that people like to see the product / reviewer. They provide that without putting much effort into the actual work of reviewing.

I really don't think it has to be this way either, as there are several reviewers in the AV Space on YouTube that do a great job. Check out HDTVTest and RTINGs, both of which are much larger channels than a lot of the audiophile channels, and are able to provided thorough informative reviews without losing clicks. It would be great to see an audiophile channel at that level, but until then, YouTube is for audio entertainment only IMO.

patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  12. nosliw

nosliw Azunyan! にゃーーー!

I agree. Unfortunately, this applies not just audio equipment but video games, make-up, toys, computer parts, clothing, sneakers, and countless other consumer goods.

It's a rather cynical attempt to acting like they're part of the social media "influencer" cool club or whatever instead of growing their channel the organic and honorable way.

EDIT: What I mean by "organic and honorable way" is without resorting to hyperbolic and gaudy clickbait thumbnails and titles or manipulating whatever algorithm that social media platforms uses. Countless YouTube channels are guilty of this and lately, I've been turned off by 95% of the content there.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  13. nosliw

nosliw Azunyan! にゃーーー!

I understand, for sure, even when I cited the said two channels I watch on YouTube. After all, YouTube is nothing but a platform for clickbait non-sense to sucker in people's confirmation biases and advertising "fake news".

zombiemodernist likes this.
  14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Bingo!

Manimal likes this.
  15. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

Im looking at Tekton website and product lineup.
    How many speaker designers are in that company, 50?
    While other companies are spending years for r&d and launch of one series (standmount, small floorstander, big/flagship), Tekton has dozens of different models released in last few years! How are they able to achieve that?
    And so many models in similar (~2000$) price range, so its rather confusing to go up through the (quality) ladder.

I like the review BTW, think we need more of those honest reviews where they don't talk just about nice characteristics so they don't make dealer/manufacturer angry. Magazines and YT reviews usually scale from "good" to "great", nothing below that, and there are some really mediocre products out there.

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nobody wants to “pay” for a review trashing your product, the reviewer getting paid to me is the worst part and what makes the whole situation..tainted. Ugh!

17. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

Seems to me that any design he experiments with he subsequently offers for sale on the website, even if it's only a one-off. I imagine he might not have as many CAD programs available to him as larger manufacturers and thus he builds all his prototypes. He could definitely benefit from an experienced marketing strategist.

Kristofa and Tim Irvine like this.
  18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

The best choice Ron could have made was to pull the review as a whole, and at least try to save face with Tekton owner. He simply could have stated, the review will be shelved until Tekton comes out with a new version, or I have requested a different model to review. Turning the review into a dogs breakfast was a bad choice on Ron's part by exposing emails between he and Tekton, those should have been for his eyes only. I could care less what they emailed about back and forth, but now Ron made it public.....bad choice.
    I suspect NRD will release another video about all this in a few weeks, I am sure he is getting blown up by other reviewers directly or other. I did like his format before he took that long hiatus, and now that he is back and getting money for the review from the mfg, could be the issue, sounds clips are rather meaningless on YT.

There really is nothing positive about his review as it is all clouded in this fiasco, he cannot hide behind semantics. His opinion and everyone understands that he means the speaker is harsh in the midrange, even if he tries to hide behind saying "the source music is the cause". If we all listen to the same source music on 5 different speakers and 2 are harsh sounding, then there you go.

Money makes people do weird things......

timind, Eigenvector, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well said.

20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Ron shouldn't worry if electric guitar sounds bad through the Impacts. I hear guitar bands are on their way out.

Manimal likes this.
  21. I still can't believe we gone this far in a speaker thread, especially a Tekton one, without hearing about Pendragons!

timind likes this.
  22. JMAC

JMAC Forum Resident

Scroll up.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  23. LOL
    Doh! Missed it.

24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Actually a pretty good progressive rock band...........Pendragon.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

The company is clearly marketing to a very specific type of customer. I wonder if buyers/fans get on a constant upgrade treadmill with all the different models? Frankly this company comes off as something only a couple steps above the hobbyist/DIY speaker scene and their use of multiple tweeter arrangements seems gimmicky.

Just my 2 cents.

F1nut, captouch, Robert C and 3 others like this.