New Record Day Review of Tekton Impacts good thing or bad thing

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Manimal, Aug 5, 2019.

1. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

An interesting part of the reviewer's world is where he makes his money. Within two days this review has nearly broken his top 10 for highest views in 2019. That certainly must be up there with some of his faster rising given that the video is only a few days old. Ron has also been VERY vocal on his channel about wanting it to generate enough money to become a full time job.

If he's working off the stats... we might be seeing some more drama and harsh reviews in the future. Hopefully he's able to see longer down the road and doesn't pursue that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    HiFi Guy, Rolltide and SirMarc like this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

From the website:

“Ron is working hard to offer a unique site and product. The use of Youtube as a medium for his professional videos offers a true window into the world of High End audio. As mfrs., consider sponsorship seriously, as an investment in part of your overall advertising and marketing budget. Ron’s work, in my opinion, represents the future.

Dan Wright
    President, Modwright Instruments

Is this a manufacturer suggesting “sponsorship” as paid reviews?

Manimal likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

What's the old saying............ there's no such thing as bad publicity?

displayname likes this.
  4. displayname

Donation or lending of gear with the manufacturing taking care of shipping cost could also constitute "sponsorship," it doesn't need to be money changing hands.

HiFi Guy and patient_ot like this.
  5. displayname

I think if Tekton would have remained quite and just let the review happen, he would have found that to be true himself. He'll probably still get his ROI from this. I can't imagine NRD was charging thousands for the review. It's probably a couple hundred bucks. If he sells one set of these I'm sure he at least made the money back.

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

42 minutes- way to long and self indulgent.

bongobill, Manimal, macster and 3 others like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

Manufacturers' don't like negative reviews no matter what. It's completely understandable as they are in business to sell products to make money and don't want anything that causes a hit to their sales.

The only way I see to be 100% free from manufacturers' influence is to follow something akin to a full Patreon style model. Subscribers send in gear on loan or donate money that gets pooled to buy gear to test/review, then things get sold and recycled into the site to keep things going, rinse and repeat. Pretty much what ASR does.

elvisizer, nosliw and displayname like this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

How to get good, useful, fair, reliable and trustworthy product reviews -- the conundrum in the audio industry today. How to find a balance between the current pro reviews (all rosy, positive and there to spur sales), forums (that are becoming more and more unreliable for many reasons) and Youtube (can lead to credibility questions).

Then, once some is "paid" to do reviews suddenly they can't be trusted anymore? What if they weren't paid by the manufacturer, would people feel the same way? Then of course the question is who IS going to pay them?

The problem with today's model is it encourages amateur review sites to spring up like Audio Science Review (ASR) where both credibility and agenda are always in question, and you are left to the whims of one person as to their own biases and what companies they want to attack (which we witnessed not too long ago on the forum with ASR) How do we know ASR is not getting paid behind the scenes? We don't. It takes a lot of time, money and resources to review that much gear, and have trouble believing it is all just community service.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    dmorin, morinix, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  9. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Ever heard any? For a $2000 and under big tower speaker I like them, and I’ve compared them with others in that niche. And I have no interest in getting on an upgrade treadmill.

Manimal, Kristofa and displayname like this.
  10. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

Tekton won’t be answering those in public. Regardless what people think about New Record Days part of this, Eric with Tekton has the uncanny ability to find every negative comment on that video and respond with stones up and until there is a technical question posed with regards to his stating the review has false measurements...he seems to not notice those comments. That isn’t coincidence.

winged creature and displayname like this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

A few years ago I bought a pair of Tekton speakers, entry model, and sold them within a month. Luckily I bought them used and they were still the flavor of the month. My take was they had decent tone, but I could get no image depth at all, and I tried everything I could think of to get them right.
    About a year ago though, I was visiting with a friend and briefly listened to his Tecktons. I don't remember the model, but they were quite a bit larger than the Tektons I owned. Anyway, I have to say what I heard from his Tecktons was very pleasing. Even though I only spent about 10 minutes listening to them, I had to change my mind a little bit.
    Addressing @patient_ot DIY comment. The build quality of the two models I've experience with is exactly that; utilitarian boxes finished at the DIY level.

12. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

He finally responded saying the measurements are nothing alike ...

13. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

For people who say Ron should remove that review:
    whats the point of reviews then if they publish only positive ones? Sure, I can understand the value for manufactures, but there's no any for us, customers, IMO

Reviewers can have special "private testing" price for manufacturers, but for journalist/reporters/reviewers we are their customers, we pay them to see objective/subjective reviews.

Robert C likes this.
  14. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Comment:
    I hope they "do bass" they be the size of an ATM machine. Wonder what actual music that the majority of people actually listen to sounds like on these. How bout some System of a Down

Response:
    Thanks for the comment, I need to make as much money as possible with these videos and if I played music people actually listen to, that would not be an option. Thanks!

The direction things have gone is products being made for critical analysis of music that most people don’t listen to. Not speakers or electronics that make the music we actually like sound better. And find another job if you have to base reviews on **** music so you can make more money.

15. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Negative reviews are fine, its the way it was handled which is the issue here...

16. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

Just a note: As the review was paid for, the review is in essence the property of Tekton.

Ron did not have the right to post any of this, even if he believed it was the right thing to do.

When he discovered his previous policy of being an advertiser in the guise of a reviewer was ill conceived, he should have given Tekton the videos and walked away, especially as he did not return the money.

Any agreement he had with Tekton was invalidated by his actions; I guarantee you thier agreement did not allow the release of private communications, neither explicitly or implied. Maybe an unflattering review, but not everything else.

bongobill, Manimal and 5-String like this.
  17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Regarding the bolded part...surely this isn't how it works. If you pay for a product to be reviewed, you are paying for the review to be done. That's it. You don't own the review. The review is the property of the person or company that conducted it. I mean, I could be wrong about this. But I think if Tekton owned the review it would be handed to them and they would post it on their You Tube account, or website, or Facebook page, etc. But that didn't happen. Pretty sure NRD has control over the content they create. If Tekton owned it then I'm quite certain the review would never have made it to You Tube at all, or it may have but the hard midrange and resonance issues would not have been raised.

If I was a reviewer I would not give up control over my content. If you are paid and you do that then to me you're just an ad agency, not a reviewer.

18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Folks waited FOREVER for this review by Ron, then he started doing these teaser videos very spaced apart time wise.. the last teaser video out of the blue started in on the rough electric guitar midrange. I’ve been checking out Rons stuff for a long time so I was familiar with his style and this review seemed like a veiled attack right off the bat. I’ve never seen Ron go into bracing, cabinet resonance and cheap speakers like this one. Something got personal between these guys fueled by the money I’m sure.
    Like I’ve said nobody wants to pay somebody to trash their product. If it got trashed on the up and up then so be it but the paid stuff messed it up for Ron and threw the whole thing into question. If I were a manufacturer I would definitely be spooked by this guy, if for anything, if we don’t get along this reviewer will torch me. If Ron just did commercials for these companies I would watch them for the entertainment aspect.
    I’ve noticed he hasn’t been replying to the sh.t storm over there but his brother has been defending him. He’s in OS mode I would think. Hope he learns from this.

19. mesaboogie

You don’t know the agreements language at all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Tebbiebear, Helom and patient_ot like this.
  20. mesaboogie

Well, he responded before he got called out. I don’t see any response since that doesn’t skip over the issues at hand. But then there is this....which he hasn’t responded to still and ignored. If anything, his own measure of the other pair will be way worse when the smoothing is off based on what he posted.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    patient_ot likes this.
  21. h46e55x

Would you like to share the actual language?

22. mesaboogie

You made the assertion Tekton owns it. Back it up.

Tebbiebear and patient_ot like this.
  23. thetakeout

thetakeout Active Member

I don't know if Ron returned the money or not, I figured he did but maybe I was wrong? It seems to me that returning the money (if it was paid up front) and just moving on and not publishing the review would've been the way to go.

I like Ron and will continue to watch his reviews. Reviewers just help shine a light on products worth considering. I would be highly unlikely to buy anything blindly based on one review.

Eric is in a tough spot. It seems clear he could use a person in charge of sales and customer service. Get him a little more insulated from dealing with people. In the internet era one bad experience seems to ripple into eternity. I didn't love my phone call with Tekton when I was calling to inquire about his speakers. I have a buddy who had the same experience. These aren't the last word, but it seems obvious he could use someone to interface with the public who has a softer touch. I am sure that is pretty common for engineers.

Eric doesn't need my approval. He gets great reviews and fills a niche the market needs. I am sure six months from now Ron & Eric with be busy with more important stuff.

I did like the comment, New Record Days of Our Lives.

Twinsfan007, CraigC, dolsey01 and 3 others like this.
  24. h46e55x

:pineapple:

25. JMAC

JMAC Forum Resident

He is referring to using royalty free music instead of music like System of a Down, which would cost him money in licensing fees to use in his video (if he wants to monetize his videos).
    I thought he was astute in the demo tracks he chose—each illustrated specific jobs that a speaker should do.