New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

That's too bad

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

hey shane ! i went looking for 'white light' at amazon.ca and could not find it being sold by them, outside of a marketplace seller asking way too much for it ...... IR LPs have always been in the $50-$55 CAD range there.....and this marketplace seller is asking ..... $94.27 + $3.99 shipping for it lol ...... AND i could only find the listing by punching the ASIN number ..... it didn't show up in a regular search for 'gene clark white light vinyl' ..... the label in the details doesn't even say 'intervention records' it says 'urp music distributors' ...... but the photo of the LP shows 'IR' on the back ....

wondering if you'll be selling it officially via amazon.ca ..... as importing it from amazon.com will cost me over $66 CAD !

actually you know lol .... when i do the math, if the LP was $55 CAD, after tax and free shipping, it would be just over $62 and now that i'm looking at all the IR releases they do have, there are a lot of IR LPs over $60 maybe this is the new normal ..... as i think our dollar has taken a hit lately lol ...... perhaps i'll just buy via .com instead .... what to do what to do lol.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Buy direct. Supports the label, and the person who packs your LP will actually care about it arriving in functional condition. It might cost more, but would you prefer to go through the return process?

4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I apologize if someone has already mentioned this band already.

Shane, what do you think of Concrete Blonde? I just finished listening to Mexican Moon a few minutes ago after not having heard it in years. I'd forgotten what an excellent album it is, and Johnette Napolitano's voice is incredible. Oh, to have this mastered by Kevin Gray on SACD or vinyl.

Grohlfan, CraigVC, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Whoever finally decides to issue White Ladder on vinyl will basically be printing money for a while.

moonshiner and LeeGriffin like this.
  6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I think @IR Shane responded on this before with the request, that he'd asked and not gotten anywhere. I agree, it would be very cool to have them on vinyl.

DPM likes this.
  7. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

I wonder if Shane could access the Warners catalogue of Danny O'Keefe. Some of the most enduring and beautifully recorded singer/songwriter albums of the era. Currently only available as indifferent reissues by Wounded Bird- better than nothing, but when you know how the original records sounded, not up to snuff.

No Blue Skies likes this.
  8. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

For those of us outside of the US, it costs substantially more for us to order directly from Shane than you may realize. We're not talking about a difference of a few dollars. When I tried to place an order for the two Judee Sill albums, the shipping charges to Canada were either $47.87 for USPS Priority Mail International or $63.77 for USPS Priority Mail Express International. When placing the same order through Amazon.com, the shipping options to Canada were either $10.97 for Standard International Shipping, $13.97 for AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping, or $26.97 for AmazonGlobal Priority Shipping. The most expensive option from Amazon was still about half the cost of the cheapest option from IR.

As much as I want to support Intervention Records directly, I can't justify paying so much for shipping. In the case of 100% Fun, it ended up being even cheaper for me to get my local record shop to order it in for me than to purchase it from Intervention or Amazon.com, when factoring in the shipping and exchange rate.

Glennza and Geee! like this.
  9. InStepWithTheStars

$47 for shipping alone? On the same continent? Man, that imaginary line on the map sure is expensive...

10. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

There do seem to be a number of IR fans on this board in the Toronto area; wonder if there might be a possibility of splitting shipping if we all have some orders we want to make. I know St. Catharines isn't that close, but it might be workable. Just throwing it out there!

11. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

That's not a bad idea; it would definitely save all of us some money. I'm usually in Toronto once or twice a month for shows.

Stu02 and IR Shane like this.
  12. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

The USPS rates for shipping internationally (kinda odd to think of shipping to Canada as being international, but there it is) have gone through the roof in the last year, it seems. I'm sure IR would love to have the direct sales, but I can understand a non-U.S.-based buyer not going that route when the shipping costs are so high.

13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

:thumbsup:

Danny is local to the area also. I believe he still lives on Vashon Island. Just a hop, skip and a ferry ride from Shane.

14. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Agreed, the shipping to Australia makes ordering directly cost prohibitive. As much as I’d like to support the label directly, the charges mean I have to put my head before heart and go the Amozon or Importcds route.

15. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

The international shipping cost issue IS a dilemma. Amazon obviously benefit from volume, allowing reduced shipping charges, other outlets maybe similar to a certain extent. I don't think international customers should feel guilty about taking the cheaper option, but here are some other considerations...

IR benefits most from direct orders and perhaps least from Amazon orders, but other options, like my local record shop here in the UK, are somewhere in the middle - they order from Acoustic Sounds and benefit from a volume discount due to their longstanding relationship. Buying from a local shop helps support both IR and your local.

However, IR is a particularly worthy endeavour for those of us interested in quality vinyl, so maybe, in the the spirit of patronage (an old fashioned concept now, but very relevant) it's worth swallowing the shipping costs to give them the best chance of making this work long term. Perhaps save money in other areas... I may buy cheaper whisky for a while, perhaps get my next few bike parts online rather than the local bike shop, etc.

Frightwig likes this.
  16. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I am in Ontario, Canada. My record shop ordered Billy Squire from Intervention records and the cheapest price they could get it for was $70.00 plus tax. So, these titles are more expensive up here than in the US.

I should have it soon. Looking forward to it. Still going to stick with 40 Creek.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you are in the UK or EU it appears Diverse Vinyl are stocking most titles or taking pre orders. Cost of Joan Armatrading will be £45. Billy Squire and Burrito Deluxe £42.

IR Shane, Dai and jhm like this.
  18. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

My normal tactic is to just get LPs (and anything else) shipped to U.S. friends of mine when I know I'm going to be visiting them, then just bring them back. But I've got fewer trips in my future, I think, so gotta get creative.

dobyblue, Blair G. and Bods1968 like this.
  19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Could Starfish be a record store day release??

20. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

Or earlier haha. Really keeping my fingers crossed for this one. I think the recent white reissue for the AUS market is, I think, tough to get. I’m definitely not interested in another vinyl copy of Starfish unless IR releases it. Then I’m in for two

jimhb likes this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

The digitally ruined white vinyl that the band sold at their Australian shows? Knowing them, quite possible...

22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I believe Jim is talking about the Intervention Records all-analog version. Search this thread for more information...

jimhb likes this.
  23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

If you order from Shanes's shop on the Amazon.com site, it's $34.95 and $8.00 shipping to Canada. (US dollars)
    It's probably not easier and or cheaper than that, if you're doing one LP.

I've usually ordered my IR titles from Acoustic Sounds when I've got 6-8 titles on my wish list,
    and pull the trigger they have a promo code during a holiday or weekend sale.

24. InStepWithTheStars

I know. I was referring to the Church's decision to cut into Shane's market with their release. It's SUPER LIMITED EDITION... but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave it a wider release for RSD knowing that Shane is still trying to put his out.

ad180 likes this.
  25. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

I don’t know, the Church have a pretty strong fan base here in the US, so hopefully we’ll see Shane’s reissue in 2019.

JeffMo, jimhb and AlienRendel like this.