New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Where have you been the last 40+ years.? I remember her being referred to in an episode of the US sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati. So not entirely unknown in USA. 6 of her albums have featured in the US top 100, highest at 28. Drop The Pilot made 33 in US singles chart. Several top 40 singles in UK. She got a lot of airplay in the late 70s and early 80s. Pretty much continued to tour and record since.

DeRosa, art, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd never heard of her either before joining this forum. I'm 45. It may be an age thing. I am chuckling though at the idea of countering someone in 2019 not having heard of an artist by pointing out they were referred to on a television show that aired about 40 years ago. She may have been very popular at one time, but I'm not sure she has as much name recognition as some think.

Still, if there were an SACD, I'd have likely given it a shot. Found plenty of new artists to enjoy that way.

snkcube, fitzrik, ggjjr and 2 others like this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Perhaps Joan Armatrading was more popular in Britain than the USA. For those who don't know her 1976 album that was canceled, here's what you are missing out on. Produced by Glyn Johns, it might be Armatrading's most popular album. She's still out there releasing new material and touring (her last tour included six sold-out shows at City Winery in NYC).

[​IMG]

Spotify link:
    Joan Armatrading

Youtube playlist:

Wikipedia link:
    Joan Armatrading (album) - Wikipedia

Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it. But it’s worth checking out, IR release or no IR release.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

I just listened to the IR Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend last night. I've lived with this album since it came out on both cd and the original vinyl. I know this album like the back of my hand. The album has never sounded better than the IR reissue. The music sounds more organic and natural. It seems a couple veils have been lifted allowing this listener to get closer to Sweet's music. I experienced a new level of enjoyment of this album because of the sound quality of this reissue. The pressing was flawless and the gatefold album cover is beautifully executed. Kudos to everyone responsible for this pressing of Girlfriend! Only if all other reissues were this good!

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Why is the Girlfriends LP listed on amazon say the label is Urp Music Distributors? the description mentions Intervention.

IR Shane likes this.
  6. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

Hey, this is a great idea: I'm gonna pick up another copy of White Light, put it in my safety deposit basement for 25 years, then trade it in for a holographic Gene Clark to play in my outer space living space!

7. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Murray Head
    Gene Clark
    2x Matthew Sweet
    2x Flying Burrito Bros
    Joan Armatrading

So... SEVEN was my MAGIC number. :) And I would have bought anything from Joe Jackson & Erasure in an instance if it was on SACD.

art likes this.
  8. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

You would have been the same if it was your precious vinyls... :)

9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Erasure on SACD.... :drool:
    I'm still shocked this band was even looked at (and received) a good remaster...
    You rock Shane!

IR Shane and hamicle like this.
  10. I wouldn't, no. I have no guarantee that Shane will be releasing further anything; for me that is too bad, because like yourself, I want to have these spinning on my rig. But for us, what's a shame, is his business and dream trying to stay alive.
    No need to discuss this further.

polchik, Vandenville and IR Shane like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Not sure why this is so secret. Im curious about what you guys have bought. Has Shane requested secrecy, i thought he didnt want the thread to become dominated by this element but I think its ok to say what you are purchasing no?

IR Shane likes this.
  12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Oops sorry for my last post Shane. I missed your post here.

IR Shane likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Is the Matthew Sweet, 100% actually going to get a repress? @IR Shane

14. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I have no control over Amazon listings. They're brutal that way. I have to petition directly on each one to change it to IR. Most of the time I do, but damn it's time consuming. And wasteful. after 4+ years I still have to end them Links to why website to "prove" that IR is the manufacturer of IR records!

PhantomStranger and John D. like this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

finally got a copy of the White Light vinyl, and man oh man i'm glad i did. just outstanding all-around package. thank you for a top-notch reissue of a great album that isn't so easy to find in the wild.

IR Shane, googlymoogly, jlf and 2 others like this.
  16. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I may have had the opportunity to listen to a few of the things on "the list" and all I can say is that I *really* hope Shane finds a way to keep putting out vinyl. Just exemplary mastering and pressing. Unreal quality.

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I had an expensive day Tuesday, stressful too because I was in Mexico on their WiFi and data trying to make sure I didn’t miss out on an Intervention release.

I ended up with apparently all unreleased Intervention titles which makes a full set. Love it. Thanks to Shane for all he’s done to date. Hope it’s not the end.

snkcube, Joti Cover, IR Shane and 4 others like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice!
    Two pretty much blew my music budget for a couple weeks, back to the thrifts.... :laugh:

19. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I had eight unreleased test pressings arrive today. I’ve been playing through them but I have nothing new to report I’m afraid. Same old, same old. These are simply some of the best sounding records you’ll ever come across.

20. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I'm so happy for you and so sad that it had to come to this for Shane.
    Any man who sees fit to remaster and re-release Judee Sill's two and only two releases, deserves better.

21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I have to echo this thought. Very happy for you and disappointed for IR & Shane.

There were some amazing once-in-a-lifetime items up for grabs. Worth every penny but alas, I couldn't make it happen for the three that I coveted. I hope all found loving homes.

googlymoogly and sonofjim like this.
  22. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Once it was clear these were in the “pretty penny” category, I had to bow out due to it being time to pay Uncle Sam his yearly dividend. I’m sure I missed out on some fine reissues.

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yeah, I’m torn on this. It would be really cool if these were a once in a lifetime acquisition, for me and a few others.

On the other hand, it would be way more cool if we were all talking about how good these are and looking forward to what’s next. Hopefully, reality is some hybrid of these two states.

googlymoogly likes this.
  24. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

No doubt! I’m bummed these titles ended up being sold as test pressings, not regular releases.

sonofjim likes this.
  25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Don't misunderstand me, I'd much rather be talking about future IR releases and still hold out hope that this could happen. Unfortunately, the list had a feeling of finality which was depressing, made deeper by not really being in the place to commit to the historical offerings that were to be had. I'm stoked for anyone who was able to do so.

googlymoogly likes this.