New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Hope you enjoy it -- listening to Richard Lloyd rip **** up is just delightful, and that's just for starters.

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

This is very interesting, because I'm hearing it very differently (or perhaps have different understandings of the terminology). I wrote up a much more detailed comparison in the dedicated Body and Soul SACD thread, but the upshot is that in comparison to that original US CD and an early Canadian vinyl pressing, the new SACD's main characteristics on my system were sharper and more detailed highs, as well as tighter and deeper bass, with great speed and dynamics. This was very good at certain key points (the bass and guitar solo section on "You Can't Get What You Want" sounded amazing, as did many sections of "Heart of Ice"), but sometimes felt like too much of a good thing at others (particularly the cymbals on "The Verdict"). Both the CD and LP felt warmer and more relaxed (what I mean by that is mainly less upper midrange and/or treble energy, and probably more lower mids and upper bass). While the older CD's upper frequencies were less pronounced, they had some harshness/hashiness that I associate with a lot of very early CDs, and the lows were somewhat murky. The LP, on the other hand, had a pretty ideal tonal balance and holographic palpability throughout.

In any event, what I was hearing was definitely a high quality mastering, but not one that I would call especially warm/relaxed/analog, but rather very precise and revealing in comparison to the earlier CD, and noticeably brighter than either the CD or LP.

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I detect increased bass and a "sweeter" high end on the new SACD mastering - but like @NorthNY Mark I would describe that bass as very tight and controlled - in fact, perhaps tighter than on the original CD.

NorthNY Mark and jhm like this.
  4. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Bought the girlfriend SACD once (cancelled), will buy it again.

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Just saw Amazon listing of Joan Armatrading, vinyl by Intervention Records. Someone has 2 used copies for $111.99 each. Is this for real?

6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This is a frustrating, BS thing. Amazon will not buy product directly from me, but only from certain distributors who were only willing to offer me very unacceptable terms to say the least.

So I have to be a "third party seller" of my own product on Amazon, and one of the pitfalls is I cannot offer pre-orders. And worse, some of their affiliates, who also do NOT get their product from me, apparently fish for suckers during the pre-order period and at any time I'm briefly out of stock on a title.

Annoying. They don't have product. No one does. Including me.

7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That's great to hear! SACDs of Girlfriend, Joan, Joe Jackson, Starfish, and Altered Beast will be instabuys for me if they happen.

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Goodwill or the local Sally Anne could make better use of them.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Which is high praise, because that original CD was damn fine sounding!

IR Shane and tmtomh like this.
  10. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Be still my heart...

eelkiller and IR Shane like this.
  11. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Wurd.

Altered Beast would be an instant (second time around) pre-order for me. My favorite of the three that were initially planned.

Also ,would like Blue Sky On Mars on SACD. :thumbsup:

12. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I gave the Joe Jackson SACD a first spin on my secondary two channel system. (Esoteric SACD player, Bryston, Proceed amp, Hales loudspeakers) Compared (by memory) to the vinyl the music comes off sounding a bit more round, full and extended. This dynamic disk is quite crank-able. Somehow, somewhere Kevin Gray found the beef. Could it be that it was there in the masters all along, and prior masterings deprived us of it? Hmmm. I'm looking forward to spinning Body And Soul in the big rig once my amp is back from the repair shop.

I'm up for the other Joe Jackson titles on SACD even though I already own the Intervention LPs. (Isn't choice wonderful.)

Excellent work.

13. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

This surprises me because I am 99% certain that I have seen some Intervention releases there over the years.

IR Shane likes this.
  14. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This is really hard to believe. Let your store know that URP has my records, they're my distributor and they are everywhere.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Instant buy

art, Juggsnelson and Dok like this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I would be in for any of the A&M Joan Armatrading (and the previously mentioned Matthew Sweet Zoo releases). Big fan of both artists.

@Craig Happy 120th. :)

17. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

I was at Sonicboom today. They said they don't work with URP. Well, that's that. I am sure there are other stores that deal with URP.

IR Shane likes this.
  18. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Shipping notice-Joan vinyl incoming soon...looking forward to it :pineapple:

Sedwards, Jthomp81, IR Shane and 3 others like this.
  19. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

20. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Drooling like a hungry dog here. What does this mean for shipping? I preordered from Acoustic Sounds several months back!

longdist01 and IR Shane like this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

ugh just take my wallet

jlf, tmtomh, IR Shane and 2 others like this.
  22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I pre-ordered direct from IR and received my tracking number yesterday. Now I have to wait a week for USPS. Can't wait!

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

My Joan A has shipped!:cheers::cheers:

JeffreyB and Sedwards like this.
  24. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I also preordered from Acoustic Sounds together with Night and Day and Body and Soul from Joe Jackson. Wondering if they will ship as they come in or hold on and ship all at once. Two Matthew Sweet's have arrived which complete's the set on IR for him!

Sedwards likes this.
  25. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I got the Body And Soul SACD and ordered the Joe Jackson bundle of Night and Day and Look Sharp LPs directly from Shane. So AS is not holding my Joan to ship all at once and still no notice for me. My experience with them is that they ship as they get it, so I don't think you'll have to wait.

allbrosca likes this.