New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Eh. I think I’m drawing the line at Son of Altered Beast. No interest in this one at all.

Just kidding. Autographed copy preordered!

IR Shane, jamesc, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I understand the need for a catch-all release, but I feel these IR expanded editions have a good balance between some bonus cuts of quality and substance, and adding something just to make it complete.

Those tribute tracks, as great as they are, don't belong on AB or SOAB.

I would absolutely love to hear the entire shows those cuts from SOAB were drawn from, but that is another release for another year. My god the guitar tone on the intro to the live Knowing People is like sitting next to the divine.

3. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion as to what does and does not belong on SOAB (flawed as they may be : :D). But given its already short running time, the absence of bonus tracks on SOAB may end up hurting sales.

I was at the 9:30 club that was one of the source concerts, so no need to convince me that a live album from the Altered Beast tour is justified. But if it hasn't happened by now, it ain't gonna happen.

Slight tangent - does anyone know if Robert Quine was in Matthew Stweet's touring band in 1992? I know he was present for a live appearance by Matthew Sweet on the Dennis Miller show, but I wonder whether this was a one-off, as he reportedly hated touring.

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Sure, my opinion. Also Shane's. Also Matthew's.

IR Shane likes this.
  5. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I seem to remember that the best and brightest all thought that Vietnam was a swell idea too. Fortunately, the stakes aren't quite as high this time. :D

I found the answer to my question posted above. It appears that Quine's appearance with Matthew Sweet on the Dennis Miller show was a one-off. According to an interview Quine gave, his last tour was with Lloyd Cole in 1990. Cole's backing band also included . . . wait for it . . . Matthew Sweet. That must have been a hell of a show.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. BradB

BradB Birth.Music.Death?

My preorder is in too, for autographed copy.

7. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

IR Shane and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  8. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Jarleboy, IR Shane and DaK like this.
  9. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I think it's fair to speculate on the absence of potential bonus tracks for SOAB; I would've been particularly pleased to at least see the remaining Sweet-penned tracks from the "Devil" single and flexi releases. Nevertheless, it's likely they were discussed. I'll pick up the SACD regardless; so thrilled these have all been/are being released.

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Just a quick note to comment on the Intervention vinyl issue of Joe Jackson's Summer In The City. I had ordered this direct but it was eventually cancelled as being out of stock. I therefore resorted to Elusive Disc where I was able to buy for a reasonable price. Just now getting around to listening to the album and it is an absolute stunner. Beyond being utterly warm, you'd never know this is vinyl as the pressing is flawless. Another IR winner, glad to have this to round out my other Joe Jackson IR releases.

PS - I sometimes say "how may ways do I need to listen to an album" but count me in for the IR vinyl of Body & Soul despite the fact I have the SACD. And vice versa, any JJ IR titles that might show up later on SACD, count me in for those as well.

11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Summer in the City from IR is stunning. The medley In Crowd/Down to London just floors me.

12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I'm grateful to be getting Son Of Altered Beast on SACD since I'm pretty sure it was originally going to be a vinyl only release from IR. I really hope the Matthew Sweet/Intervention partnership continues with additional titles.

azideam, IR Shane, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Blue Sky On Mars!

azideam, Grampire, chaz and 3 others like this.
  14. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

A good choice, but I’d rather see Kimi Ga Suki Raifu if there is to be one more. That sucker is compressed to heck and needs some dynamics breathed into it...plus it’s my 3rd favorite of his behind AB and Gf. :)

tcj, googlymoogly, JorgeGvb and 4 others like this.
  15. attym

attym Forum Resident

I don't know if I'm late to the game on this issue but I'm hearing a lot of distortion on my copy of Joe Jackson - Look Sharp. Especially on Happy Loving Couples.

16. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

All that compression may be baked into the mix. It’s a good album, but it may not be susceptible of much improvement when it comes to fresh mastering.

marcb likes this.
  17. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I don't think so. What kind of distortion? Any particular instrument?

tmtomh likes this.
  18. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

These Intervention Records’ Matthew Sweet SACD’s have brought me to retrench my absolute love and enjoyment of the entire Matthew Sweet discography. Such amazing work.

PhantomStranger, ggjjr and Rollie like this.
  19. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

That is certainly quite possible. Maybe Mars - or In Reverse - would fare better in that regard.

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I purchased both the Intervention SACD & the Universal 96/24 download of the Joan Armatrading. Much to my surprise, the Download sounded significantly better on my Oppo 95. Difference of EQ choices, depth, & the reverb was much more prevalent on the download.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  21. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Shane, if the newest LP iteration of Priest=Aura sells through, and the demand remains high (secondary market prices as one measure), would IR be willing to tackle that project? I’m assuming the IR practice of analogue tape sourcing (rather than being handed digital files from which to press) and potential bonus tracks would create the most desirable product for a fan base that would $$$tep up and order up.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Don't know if it's just me, but I've had trouble w SACD's sounding good on my Oppo 93. Cant seem to get to the bottom of it. CD's sound much better. SACD's have a lower volume level.

23. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Late to the discussion on this one but i thought they woukd have gone for the Japanese 12 track SOAB listing if the tracks were available

https://www.discogs.com/Matthew-Sweet-Son-Of-Altered-Beast-5/release/2042598

Would still love a ‘Goodfriend’ sacd release hopefully mopping up the three bonus tracks from the ‘ive been waiting cd single’ , or maybe the whole Cabaret Metro live show :)
    https://www.discogs.com/Matthew-Sweet-Ive-Been-Waiting/release/3061071

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Reports of a lot of distortion on a vinyl pressing need to be looked into with some detail and care. Almost certainly not the mastering, and very unlikely to be a systemic pressing problem given no other reports (that I'm aware of, anyway). That would suggest either an issue with your setup (no offense intended) or an isolated defective copy.

25. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

The 95, 105 & 205 have very much superior audio to the 93, 103 & 203. In fact, afaik, the only difference between the 03's & the 05's is an upgraded audio section. SACD's as a rule sound great on my 95 as long as the mastering is well done.

I THINK the biggest issue with the JA for me may have been a difference of opinion on eq. Small sample, but one other person posted similar after I mentioned it in the hi-res thread. I usually don't hear a large benefit of a download from a major label over a boutique SACD; if anything it's usually the opposite which is why I mentioned it. I was surprised.