New Rega Planar 3 sounds...OK

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

Agree with most of your post. I felt unsatisfied with the RP3. I recently upgraded to the Planar 6...just posted in that thread. While I disagree with your general Rega comments, my experience with the P3 echo yours.

Audition a Planar 6...

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes it´s good to have a heavy platter. It´s more difficult to accelerate and decelerate, the heavier the better in this respect. But as I said previously, it´s all about making money, which is much easier to do if parts are light.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. Night Rider

Night Rider Well-Known Member

I have the Rega Planar 3 and Nagaoka MP-110 cart. I have listened long and hard for "motor hum" and "distortion" and singularly failed to detect any.

Some time went into carefully setting up the table with spirit levels and protractors, but this was a couple of hours well spent.

I can only ever speak for myself of course, and everyone has slightly differing opinions and experiences, but I would honestly recommend Rega turntables to a friend.

For the financial outlay, which was modest, I have a lovely smooth sound, good tracking, tight bass, and the gentle warmth of vinyl.

KT88, Cyclone Ranger and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Regas don't boogie for me, they are fair on PRAT. That's an idler drive job at their best.

5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb Thread Starter

Finally received my speaker stands after almost 2 weeks. Built them last night and had to completely rearrange my apartment bedroom furniture to find a set up that would allow these speakers to be in an optimal position. But WOW, what a difference. The vibration and feedback I was hearing is totally eliminated and the stereo landscape sounds incredible. Having your speakers on a different surface from your turntable really makes a difference (I honestly always thought it was a bit exaggerated).

Loving my set up and this turntable a lot now. I do want to upgrade my speakers at some point in the next few months, but right now I cant stop listening.

Thanks for all the help.

HBJ, Bananas&blow, swvahokie and 3 others like this.
  6. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I've had the Planar 3 with the Neo for a few months and it sounds wonderful. I prefer this combo to the Planar 6 - though that might be the Ania - either way it's great and the Neo makes a significant difference. Mine was supplied with the Elys 2 and I like it enough not to change for a while....
    A lot depends on placement (light, solid platform) and system of course.

KT88 likes this.
  7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I second this.

8. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

You need to post a shot of your room so we can see. Congrats on your new set up. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.