New Rhino Handmade release - "The Stooges" Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by El Toro Rojo, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Yes. Rhino Handmade recently had a poll asking people which out-of-print release title people would like to see reissued most, and a lot of people voted for The Stooges Complete Funhouse Sessions. So I am speculating that maybe they will reissue it. Another possibility would be a Funhouse reissue with the previously unreleased Ungano's concert that Rhino has purchased which has many of the same songs live.

2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

What I hope for is a 3 disk set (2 of selected tracks from the Funhouse Sessions + Unganos on the 3rd)

I'm a huge Stooges fan but always found it a little hard going listening to all those takes one after the other on the Sessions box.

3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

>>>I'm a huge Stooges fan but always found it a little hard going listening to all those takes one after the other on the Sessions box.

That's why I just decided to settle for the two-disc Rhino of the LP tracks and selected outtakes from the sessions. Which I bought on Thursday. Just in time, of course, to probably have to re-buy most of it to get the Unganos material :sigh:

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Anyone get their copy?

5. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for mine :(

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I received mine and they sent it in a padded envelope instead of a box. I really don't know what Rhino is thinking.

7. LordThanos1969

Oh geez, I am not going to be looking forward to seeing how damaged this box might arrive in a padded envelope.

8. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I personally find the Sessions box a fascinating listen.

9. LordThanos1969

Mine arrived on Friday, also in a padded envelope. Fortunately, there was no damage. I haven't listened to the music yet, but I was happy to see the packaging of the CDs is an improvement of other recent Rhino box sets, as they do not use those awful cardboard sleeves to hold the disks.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As great as the rest of this album is, I would pay $50 to ensure that I never heard any version of "We Will Fall" again. ;)

11. Chris M

I haven't received mine yet but there are several reviews of the set on the Stooges forum.

- everyone seems to agree that the packing is first rate.

- the Little Doll and Real Cool Time session tape bits have no overlap with the versions used on the LP. I'm really looking forward to hearing these.

- mastering is the same as the 2005 reissue.

- Asthma Attack has been described as similar to LA Blues but better executed and recorded.

- the alternate We Will Fall runs on for another minute or so after the LP version fades.

- the Cale mixes run WAY too slow. Apparently 7-8% off.

Rhino has to fix this. You don't charge $50 for a collectors set like this and have an entire disc unlistenable. I guess it's possible Cale vari-speeded the whole thing down but that much? I really hope they fix this as it sounds like a perfect reissue otherewise.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

And if in some weird twist, it turns out Cale intended it to be played at this speed, that should be explained in the liner notes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Chris M

No doubt. FWIW I have read that the source tape used was better than the 2005 reissue. Not sure how accurate that is. Fan reviews have described it as "comically slow" :(

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Mine arrived today in a padded envelope, but it was an oversized one that they folded over, so it was like a double-thick padded envelope. No damage at all, but I'm sure some will arrive a little beat up. They really should use a hard covering.

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

It should be easy enough to fix with a program like Audacity but it should never happen in the first place! 7-8 % is a lot!

16. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Chris-would love a review when you get it!

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There is also some irony in the fact that Rhino has already announced that they'll be sending out replacement discs to all purchasers over something far more trivial.

Hopefully they'll simply delay dispatching the replacement CDs and wait until they've pressed correctly mastered CDs. It probably costs far more to ship the CDs than manufacture them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Well, they do call themselves Rhino Handmade now... :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Ken

Ken Forum Resident

Sad confirmation on the painfully slow Cale mixes; it reallly does essentially ruin a major portion of this otherwise superb package; particularly frustrating as they have evidently gone to all the work of re-pressing the discs because of labeling error, whereas this is the more important reason to re-press. By far.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

It is a shame.

Thankfully, nowadays this can be easily fixed at home.

In case you don't know how, just find someone(s) on the board that have said they have the new set, and PM them. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you a link of their lossless speed-correct versions you can download and burn on a cdr...

21. Chris M

Such a bummer. Anyone else get their copy?

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm not familiar enough with the material to say if something is too slow or not, but I trust everyone else here. Has anyone written to Rhino about this and have they acknowledged it? If they are already going to re-press the CD's, why not just delay it and correct the speed issue? I'm sure most would be happy to wait a little longer for the replacements.

23. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I got mine but I have nothing new to add. Padded envelope, no damage, same mastering as previous Rhino CD for the album itself, Cale tracks noticeably too slow, CD labels switched. I like "Asthma Attack" on CD2 but haven't listened to the 45 yet.

24. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

I'm glad I held out on this (due to high price for too little "new" or "unique"). I hope they correct the slow Cale mixes for those who did buy it, and I hope they lower the price somewhere down the road.

25. Ken

Ken Forum Resident

I contacted Rhino via e-mail ("Dr. Rhino") but haven't heard back yet.

by the way Mike D', thanks for your reply...I will probably have to rely on the kindess of strangers down the line if this isn't rectified, as technical tweaking isn't my strong suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.