New Rhino Handmade release - "The Stooges" Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by El Toro Rojo, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neil

neil Senior Member

Does anyone know who to contact directly to get replacement discs for the Stooges set. Some one was asleep at the wheel in quality control.

2. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I was under the impression you did not need to contact anyone for the replacements if you purchased directly from Rhino. In the message they sent out to customers, Rhino mentioned they would be sending replacement discs. Who knows for sure with all that company's quality issues?

3. neil

neil Senior Member

stooges replacement

these were given to me as a gift.

4. cdice

cdice New Member

Got my Stooges Deluxe from Rhino Handmade this past week. The spine was crushed. The labels are, indeed, backwards and yellow (instead of red like the original vinyl), and the John Cale stuff is confirmed too slow. For fifty bucks, I sort of expected perfection. No replacement discs yet. And, did anyone else try to sandwich the booklet in with the 45rpm so it just doesn't flop around on a shelf? I did, but it's a really, really tight fit. I hope I don't split the seem that holds the 45rpm, but I don't like the idea of the booklet hanging loose inside the gatefold. They could have done a much better job with this, I.M.H.O.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Finally got my copy and the packing is beautiful. Some killer unseen color pics (at least unseen by me) with interesting liner notes in a very nice package. Mine had no damage at all but not having a TT haven't bothered with the 45. The discs 1 and 2 contents are swapped but I can live with that if replacements are sent out.

The Cale mixes are hilariously slow. Think the alt studio Young Man Blues on the Odds & Sods reissue but the entire Cale mix of the album is that slow. I can't imagine someone listened to this and didn't know it. We're talking close to 10% too slow. Rhino has to fix this. You can't charge $50 for two discs and have half of one disc unlistenable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Someone at the Stooges forum has e-mailed Rhino Handmade's project manager for this release with regards to the speed issue on the Cale tracks. Great idea, potentially more effective than e-mailing Rhino's customer service department in India or Dr. Rhino, who doesn't always respond.

7. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Someone on the Stooges Forum got a reply from the Rhino Indian Call Centre saying that Rhino would not be sending out replacements correcting the speed on the Cale Mixes.

I suggest people express their displeasure at this to [email protected] (the project manager for this release) and their media relations guy: [email protected]

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow. Glad I didn't splurge on this now. Geez.

9. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

:agree: Me too.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I emailed them. I let them know that unless Rhino announces they are issuing new discs to correct the speed issue, I'll be returning the set. I'd love to have it, but at that price, it needs to be free of obvious errors. I'd be perfectly happy with them delaying sending out the replacement copies until they fix the speed issue, as long as they commit to doing so.

11. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

I had expected the replacement discs to correct both the labeling and speed issues. Rhino's not doing so is not acceptable.

12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

This was the message received from Rhino customer services I mentioned above:

Thank you for contacting Rhino.

We have received the update from our management team.

We are sorry to inform you that, we have no plans to correct these mixes on the replacement discs.

We regret your inconvenience.

Wack.

13. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I lost my faith in Rhino a while ago, so did not expect them to correct the speed issue, but +1 to your second sentence.

14. Chris M

I cotacted the project maager ad if I get the same response, and I'm sure I will, then I will return the set as defective. If a refund isn't forthcoming then I'll take it up with AMEX and get a refund through them.

15. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

I was close to ordering this set but no thank you.

16. I guess I'll have to see if I can get a second hand or stolen copy. It sounds sweet packaging-wise but I'm not paying a company for a willfully defective item.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Has anyone gotten through to the [email protected] address? My message bounced back and said it was invalid.

18. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Oops that should be [email protected] and he hasn't replied to my email of a week back which sounds about right for Rhino current service standards.

Is there any way I can edit post #107 to show the correct email address?

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Same here. What a debacle.

20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I think you'd have to PM a Gort for that...

21. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

So I just emailed these guys. But I have a question for the group-

How the hell did the speed on the Cale mixed get so screwed up? Any theories?

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

lack of knowledge of the music contained...

23. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Unbelievable, glad I waited for the reviews. Are they trying to put themselves out of business?

24. Chris M

Well, everything else is at the right speed.

25. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

OK I got a response from John Hughes saying they are looking into the slow speed issue so maybe all is not lost, but I wish there was better communication to the India call centre about what is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.