New Rick Wakeman album 'The Red Planet' to be relased on April 3rd !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

I downloaded today.

Loving it. It's immediately familiar - like an old friend - yet it's new. Classic feel with plenty of chances to play name that synrh. Bit of choral and shared focus of instruments. Great old skool stuff

Mr Wakeman better be digging that cape out of the closet.

Looking forward to seeing the fold out album cover - I'll crack open a can if something special for it - or even just a cup of tea (RW would understand I know).

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Just had a look on Amazon, It's due from there on July 3 at £44 for a CD or £70 for vinyl.

As much as I am likely to enjoy the music, I might just buy myself a Mars Bar instead.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's the full tracklist and running times

1. Aseraeus Mons (5:52)
    2. Tharsis Tholus (6:16)
    3. Arsia Mons (6:10)
    4. Olympus Mons (5:20)
    5. The North Plain (6:53)
    6. Pavonis Mons (7:13)
    7. South Pole (7:35)
    8. Valles Marineris (10:02)

Total Time 55:21

[​IMG]

Rufus rag, boggs, anduandi and 4 others like this.
  4. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Do you know if Amazon US will be selling the single disc? All they have up now is this which is $58.00

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Planet-R...rick+wakeman+cd&qid=1592756301&s=music&sr=1-1

5. ponkine

6. ponkine

7. MANCHESTER MAN

MANCHESTER MAN Forum Resident

My wife and I saw Rick in Manchester last Christmas, and the memorabilia desk was by far the biggest I’ve ever seen in over half a century of concert-going ! Literally his entire career was laid out in front of us. Now he’s added what I’m sure is another gem to that little lot. He’s supposed to be back in Manchester this autumn, but that’s looking doubtful.

8. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Thanks for posting that ponkine. I just listened to the entire album.

It has its moments for sure. But I must say that I'm more than a little disappointed in the album as a whole. Granted some of the tracks have that nice old school prog feel in places but overall I found the entire affair to be more than a bit too mellow and dare I say too new age for me.

It's mostly medium tempo grooves, with not nearly enough synth pyrotechnics. Part of it may also be down to his choice of pads, some of which have that distinctly modern day new age vibe to them.

I'll give it a few more spins though. Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it today.

kenbefound likes this.
  9. ponkine

I listened to the complete album, and I really love it

It's a well crafted, matured prog, with finesse and melody-oriented mood
    The band plays fantastic, and every musician (incl Rick) plays for the song. Not showoff or shredding for the sake of it.

Also, I love the use of vintage keyboards.
    Overall, a splendid album from Rick. A man who has NOTHING left to prove, yet he keeps releasing fantastic music

:edthumbs:

10. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I'm glad that you dig it. I really wanted to like it as much as you do but for some reason it didn't happen. As I said I will give it a few more chances to grow on me.

kenbefound and ponkine like this.
  11. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I feel the same way especially since this was going to be a straight up prog album. It's not terrible by no means but I have played it 5 times and it really hasn't been any better then the first listen.

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The one word to describe many of the tracks is monotonous. It's very repetitive. It might work well as the audio for a video game but just to sit back and listen to the whole album it could have been better. Also I wished he used the mini-moog with those great fat sounds you can get from it.

Joe McKee likes this.
  13. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Got notification that the LP shipped today. Haven’t listened to any of it yet. Going old school and waiting for the record.

:cheers:

14. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Got my red vinyl today. Wow! Grrrreat job - a piece of pop up artwork, a very nice picture booklet - all Mars-related and really gives substance to the context of the concept album.

I love it - and it will have a special place in my collection.

On listening - I'm finding myself feeling I know this music already - it is not obscure or even too pretentious as some prog can be. Rick's earned his wings already, this is just a little (space) journey he's taking me on.

~dave~~wave~, Jvalvano and Rufus rag like this.
  15. What is the DVD content?

Is it a DVD-audio version of the album or video stuff or both?

16. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

To my disappointment my last understanding was its just a 'making of' type DVD rather than a music/surround version of the album

17. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

That appears to be correct, and now it's delayed due to covid.
    Just received this email:

Hi,

I am so sorry that the DVD has not been included in this package. This is due to the lockdown and COVID-19. Myself and Rob Ayling were faced with the prospect of using the footage which was shot before the Lockdown, which would have resulted in approximately a 15 min DVD or waiting until after the launch event where we plan to over an hour worth of footage and lots more contributions from the other musicians, fans as well as behinds the scenes footage etc. We made the decision it was better to go with a far superior DVD, than to short change you with an inferior one and just blame it on COVID-19.

From a practical point of view, Rob and his team will be mailing the DVDs out as soon as they come back from the pressing plant.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support and I hope you enjoy my latest album, The Red Planet.

Rick

This message was sent from Rick Wakeman: The Red Planet via Music Glue

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Really would have been quite Good for them to add just hi rez stereo even if they did not do a 5.1 mix.

boggs likes this.
  19. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

The Red Planet has granted your wish...

The Red Planet

When are you shipping each edition?
    • Standard CD - now
    • Signed CD - now
    • Standard vinyl - now
    • Signed vinyl - Monday 22nd June
    • CD deluxe edition - in about a week but without the DVD (see DVD below)
    Is there a surround sound version?
    No.

Is there a high-resolution version?
    Only available on the CD deluxe edition - for the time being, but this won't be shipped until after the playback event in August.
    Will you make the high res version available to download?
    Maybe in the future, subject to the fans' interest.

How does the deluxe edition differ?
    It has the deluxe pop-up packaging like the vinyl and eventually the bonus DVD and full booklet.

What's on the DVD?

The high res version of the album plus expanded versions of footage shown online, but because of COVID, the last parts of the footage will be shot at the space centre and include as many fans as possible. Production will start immediately after the event and the DVD will be sent out to all purchasers.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  20. ponkine

A quick stock update. The limited edition vinyl is now SOLD OUT and we are down to the last 100 copies of the CD/DVD popup edition and they're selling fast. Standard CD and downloads still available

[​IMG]

Crimson Witch and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  21. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I saw CDs for $57.00 on Amazon! What is that about? Isn’t there going to be a regular priced version?

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. ponkine

23. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I received the CD deluxe edition today (sans DVD as expected). This is a lot of fun to listen to - 70s prog without having to be taken too seriously - and as a 70s Yes fan, this works for me. Great interplay between the musicians, I particularly enjoy the melodic bass playing. The packaging and the Mars concept - fleshed out in a rather nice booklet - also get the thumbs up :righton:

24. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Nice bass!

25. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I just ordered...

George Cooke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.