New Riders Of The Purple Sage-An Open Discussion of Everything NRPS.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yes, that's the one. As mentioned above, it's from the German TV show Beat Club. NRPS in their prime. I had no trouble getting it to play in my nothing too fancy Denon dvd player so it must be Multi region.

Michael likes this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The NRPS are one of my all-time favorites. Love these guys. Saw the reunited version twice about 10 years ago. Got a poster signed by the current lineup which besides David Nelson and Buddy Cage also featured Hot Tuna alumnus Michael Falzarano. Drives me nuts when people dismiss everything past the 1st album as "But there's no Jerry". Obviously the 1st album through "Home, Home On The Road" are excellent. But in recent years both "Brujo" and "Oh What A Mighty Time" have been growing on me. The tune "Little Old Lady" sounds like it could have been left over from an earlier session and is the highlight from "Mighty Time". "Brujo" has a fun tribute to Austin, Texas and the Cosmic Cowboy scene at the Armadillo World Headquarters titled "Instant Armadillo Blues" that I really like. Just wished they wouldn't have overdubbed the automobile sound effects over it.

The 1st MCA album still has the same lineup as the previous 2 and is worthwhile too. Unfortunately this one gets lumped in with the other 2 MCA albums where they started to have more lineup changes and are not that great.

Haven't listened to the A+M album, "Feelin' Alright", in years but I remember it was terrible.

Many of the Relix albums by the 1990's, John Dawson only, version of NRPS have some very worthwhile material on them as well.

I have all of the archive releases too. The "Veneta, Oregon" show is the best IMHO. It has the best combination of 1st rate performance and great sound.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

It's funny seeing folks mention hearing covers of Panama red and lonesome la cowboy considering they didn't write either song. Both are by peter rowan. I've known peter and his brothers chris and lorin since the mid 70s.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Get their first album to start off-preferably the vinyl LP version.

Tom Daniels likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Great thread! I love NRPS. Good time laid back hippie-country vibes.

6. davmar77

clhboa likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yup. Keep your dead and co, David Nelson is “where i get off best” these days, to quote mr Lesh. He plays with his soul and he is the only other guitar player I have ever heard really do that beside Jerry.

I was lucky enough to have met marmaduke many years ago and have “shared” the goods with buddy and David on more than a couple of occasions...

Their last 2 albums are not to be missed, the collaborations with Robert Hunter are out of this world and represent the best stuff he has done in the last 20 years. Ghost train blues!

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I've always loved this Armadillo World Headquarters poster...

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob likes this.
  9. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

I saw them in 1974 just after Skip Battin joined the band. During their set, Nelson or Dawson broke a guitar string and while it was being fixed Buddy Cage played "Mercy Mercy Mercy" on the pedal steel. It was incredible and I wish I had a version of him playing that song. That first album with Skip, Brujo, isn't too bad, but, for me, it was downhill after that. It just wasn't the same band without Torbert. Gypsy Cowboy is my favorite album of theirs and Cage's playing is outstanding on it. By the time of the A&M album the bad had included, not all at the same time, the drummer, guitarist, and bassist from Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band and they had done a tour combing their members with those of the Flying Burrito Brothers. That tour would have been an interesting one to see.

10. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

You can easily find the 3 CDs box of the whole evening...

11. davmar77

true but not officially for those who might look. we also saw the riders open for the dead twice that week.

12. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

... see John Dawson in a DVD bio of Janis Joplin..

Michael likes this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Dawson lived across the street from Garcia in Marin. Hunter was staying with Garcia while NRPS was in its infancy, and he was briefly considered for the role of bass player in the band. According to him, he and Dawson wrote it and Nelson contributed the descending riff. Then Garcia got home, heard their recording, and started tinkering around, adding a bridge. So by the time they woke up the next day, it was a Grateful Dead song.

IIRC there's a recording of NRPS doing it from that era, I searched recently and only came up with a live performance from the 80s.

There's not a ton of stuff from the 1970s in here, but there are still some gems.

www.archive.org/details/NewRidersofthePurpleSage

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

15. Michael

wonderful!

16. Michael

excellent poster...

clhboa likes this.
  17. Michael

I'll have to locate this?

18. Michael

nice! thanks for the video...

fishcane likes this.
  19. EXACTLY 47 years ago from today -8-27-72 was Veneta Oregon, here’s NRPS on YouTube with audio of their concert. So happy I found this. (Thanks to this thread for inspiring a new search)

Enjoy!

20. Michael

I bought Brujo & Oh What A Mighty Time on street date...they were different but I still loved them. MCA was the beginning of the end of the salad days...

clhboa and fishcane like this.
  21. Michael

thanks! so much cool stuff being posted!

Paperback Writer likes this.
  22. Michael

that's excellent.... the utube looks good, but I need to own this. : )

23. Michael

and it's getting better all the time! great stuff indeed...

24. Michael

I saw them at the Lonestar Cafe...: )

25. Michael

Indeed!