New Riders Of The Purple Sage-An Open Discussion of Everything NRPS.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

me too! he was a perfect fit...excellent voice!

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Watching “The Lost Broadcasts” DVD from The Beat Club in Germany May 1972. I’d love to see more video and hear more released shows from the Torbert era. Amazing to watch Buddy Cage get those sounds from his steel!

clhboa and Michael like this.
  4. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

John Dawson left side of Janis....!

5. Michael

me too! that was the perfect line-up...really felt a loss when Torbert left.

6. Michael

thanks Jerry!

Jerry likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    RSD Black Friday 2019

Bradd, melstapler, Dok and 1 other person like this.
  8. Michael

any more info on this? thanks...

melstapler likes this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

10. Michael

melstapler and fishcane like this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Well to read between the lines it says RSD “first” release which usually means there will be a follow up release that may include cd

melstapler and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

can't go wrong with the Columbia years...
    the strongest LPs
    thanks...not up on the RSD as I don't participate in the vinyl thing...many years ago I had thousands...I don't miss them.

melstapler and fishcane like this.
  13. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I am a life long fan of NRPS. I discovered them very early and their first Columbia album is an all time favourite of mine. I have duplicate copies of almost all of their albums and Japanese copies of almost all of the Columbia albums. I skipped ‘Oh What A Mighty Time’ and I sold my original U.K. copy way back. I always considered it a ‘contract filler’ album that was nowhere near as good as the earlier records. I agree that when Dave Torbert left, things seem to have gone down for them, but of course I loved Dave Torbert on that Kingfish debut album. Another superb record in my opinion.

Jerry Garcia’s steel playing on that first Columbia album is otherworldly and the quality of the songwriting is unbelievably good. My Japan original Promo copy is one of my most cherished records. After that, I think Buddy Cage’s steel playing on later albums is pure musical bliss. Just listen to his playing on ‘On My Way Back Home’ on the ‘Gypsy Cowboy’ album and tell me that is not the essence of sonic beauty? I think Buddy’s contribution to Dylan’s ‘Blood On The Tracks’ is a significant reason why I like that record so much, above and beyond his (Dylan’s) other (great) stuff.

I have Japan Promos of some of the later MCA albums to as well as my U.S. and U.K. copies. Just learned today of the 3LP RSD Black Friday release so I am going to get my sister and brother in law to ‘snag’ a copy of this for me. It won’t be released in Europe more than likely. Yeah, the New Riders of The Purple are one of my all time favourite artists.

Crispy Rob, bonus, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  14. Michael

cool! welcome to our thread!

15. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

A couple of years ago Peter Rowan (and his four-piece bluegrass band of young talents) played at the Petersham Bowling Club here in Sydney. I book the bands at the club, but I didn't book this show. I was out on the green - djing - playing 1970s AM radio one-hit or no-hit wonders. I had brought along my copy of the Old And In The Way album to get signed. I also brought along my seven inch of New Rider's "Panama Red" to play.

He was outside, sitting on the other side of the green with one of the band members, so when I finished djing I went over and introduced myself and told him I lived in Boston for a couple of years in the 90s. We mainly chatted about Boston radio stations! I told him I'd brought along the Old And In The Way album to sign so we went inside and he signed it.

Then I told him I'd played "Panama Red" earlier and he had a laugh. "I don't have that one," he said. "Would you like my copy?" I asked.
    "Oh no, that's yours," Peter replied. "You should have it," I said, "It's your song!"

So I went and got it. I gave it to him and he threw it into his empty guitar case.

We went back outside until it got dark. "Well, I better go play," he said.

Later on, after an amazing gig, he thanked me for putting on the show. And I didn't even book it!

16. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

That reminds me of some lyrics I made up to replace the lyrics in the chorus. Of course, I had a couple of bong hits beforehand. :cool:

One evening, years ago, we were at my apartment watching Monday Might Football. My cat decided he was being neglected and wanted attention So he proceeded to steal food from the coffee table. If that wasn't enough, he then grabbed my friend's hat and ran across the living room with it in his mouth. He was that kind of cat; not malicious, but very mischievous. :nauga:

So I started singing; "Knucklehead cat, knucklehead cat. He'll steal your food and then he'll rob your hat..."

Moral of the story; Don't do so many bong hits... and put the cat in the bedroom. :laugh:

sacsongs, Dok and Michael like this.
  17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I saw them with Garcia on peddle steel. Opened for the Dead of course. Love that first album. I ended up playing with Buddy Cage in the 90’s.

18. Michael

nice story and Peter seems to be a nice dude...thanks for sharing.

fishcane and melstapler like this.
  19. Michael

OMG! that's f'n hysterical! thanks...

Vic_1957 likes this.
  20. Michael

well that's cool...must have been fun.

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

With Hunter passing last week, David is the last remaining of the old guard and my holy trinity of Garcia hunter and Nelson...

I’ve been very fortunate to meet them all at one point or another and am forever grateful for the legacy of music they have left us with.

Carry that torch and hold it high, David!

WaterLemon, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  22. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have just emailed Omnivore to find out who is pressing the vinyl for this release. If they come back with any information, I will post it. I am hoping it will be RTI or a similar quality outfit.

23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

It is a Record Store Day first release. It is also going to be released on cd. So there should be plenty of chances to pick up a copy even after RSD.

24. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

fishcane likes this.
  25. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I’ve only recently discovered them and just picked up a cheap copy of Brujo (and listening to it as I write this). The cover isn’t in great shape but the LP is and it’s terrific. Someone said they’re nothing deep although enjoyable. I think more than enjoyable. Really love their sound.