New Riders Of The Purple Sage-An Open Discussion of Everything NRPS.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Time to bump this thread.

The Thanksgiving in NYC release will be 3LPs or 2 CDs. The Bears Sonic Journal 5 CD release will be right before Christmas through the website and after Jan. 10 for retail.

Anyone get the Light In The Attic vinyl release of “Powerglide”? Wondering about pressing and sound quality.

Listening now to probably my favorite live release. Boston Music Hall, 12/5/72. Would love more Barncard mastered Authorized Bootlegs.

Man, I miss Torbert.....

2. samwise

samwise Forum Resident

Do we know anything about the quality of the source recording or pressing details for the Black Friday release?

I've always been pleased with the quality of Omnivore stuff I have in my collection for whatever that's worth.

Jerry likes this.
  3. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on the Bear release, such great news. I'm excited for both of these!

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

From what I can tell the owsley release is all with Garcia on pedal steel.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

love this album...Old Man Noll!

6. Michael

going to look into the upcoming releases! how exciting...

7. Michael

me too...I've missed him since he left the band...he was a perfect member with so much talent...I love his voice, songs and bass playing...the band was absolutely perfect when he was a member...a huge loss.

clhboa likes this.
  8. Henny

Henny Forum Resident

Dirty Business is the jammer on that record. Commander Cody on piano never hurts either.

For anyone interested in the dawn / golden era of country rock there’s a great book called “Are You Ready For The Country”. It’s a bunch of short essays in each chapter about things like Waylon Jennings playing Max’s Kansas City, etc. the intersect and “first contact”. Many written by musicians.

Are You Ready for the Country: Elvis, Dylan, Parsons and the Roots of Country Rock|Paperback

Relevant to this thread, there’s a chapter dedicated to Jerry Garcia’s tenure in NRPS and its very interesting. He basically put down steel because once his NRPS set was over and he had to play a few more hours with the Dead he’d get hand cramps in his left hand because of the fatigue from gripping the bar and all the practicing he was doing to level up on pedal steel (which he got good at pretty quickly). He ultimately concluded he couldn’t be great at both and the Dead was paying the bills. The chapter contemplates: what would have been the outcome had he chosen differently? Good nerd reading if you love the genre. I do.

I’ll plug Gene Parsons “Kindling” album too for anyone digging NRPS. An often overlooked “hippie country” gem from the era.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too, November in 71.

10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Owsley Stanley Foundation
    November 14 at 5:08 PM ·
    We couldn't be more thrilled to announce OSF's 4th release of Bear's Sonic Journals: Dawn of the New Riders of the Purple Sage. In celebration of the band's 50th anniversary, this new release contains 5 CDs of music, including 60 tracks from 9 different nights at 4 different venues spanning the first year of the band's existence -- all recorded by Bear! Nearly two-dozen tracks have never before been officially released by either the New Riders or the Grateful Dead. Pre-order through our website starting on Black Friday for delivery before the winter solstice. Won't be sold anywhere else until January 10. Hope you enjoy this complete track, "Fair Chance to Know," from Chapter 4, recorded at the Fillmore West on June 4, 1970.

11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Does anyone know when Torbert first joined the band?

Otherwise will we hear Lesh on bass on those 1969 gigs?

David Nelson sat in with the GD at the Family Dog on 8-2 and 8-3-69, no surprise there was an NRPS show (or maybe rehearsal at 'the Bears Lair?) on 8-1.

melstapler likes this.
  13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

There seems to be some mystery over who played Bass - hopefully this release will clear it up..

It's supposed to be Bob Matthew's on Bass at The Bear's Lair: Lost Live Dead: Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia Tour Itinerary July-August 1969

August 1, 1969 Bear's Lair, UC Berkeley Jerry Garcia, Marmaduke and Friends
    This show was billed as "Jerry Garcia, Marmaduke and Friends," the name the band used before Hunter coined the name New Riders Of The Purple Sage. The group played at The Bear's Lair, a coffee shop in the basement of the Student Union building on Bancroft (Pauley Ballroom was two floors above it). This was supposedly the only show where Bob Matthews played bass with the Riders. The subject of the New Riders 1969 bass player is worthy of a post in itself, but according to Robert Hunter, both Hunter and Matthews rehearsed as bassist, but Phil Lesh played all the gigs.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

15. davmar77

By November of 71 buddy cage had already taken his spot in the band. Where did you see them?

16. ssmith3046

It was November in 1971 when they opened for the Dead in Albuquerque at the now demolished Civic Center. It was snowy night and they let all of us who'd been in line in early. I heard that that was Jerry's idea. I could have sworn Jerry played steel but you're probably right. It was a long time ago and we were contributing to the heavy smoke pollution in the building.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. davmar77

I saw them in NYC a few weeks later with the dead although I had seem them with Garcia a couple of times before.

18. ssmith3046

I saw them again a year or two later when they were the headliners.

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Garcia played steel with them as late as 10/31/71. Just listened to that show today.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That was his final show, it was on the Archive once, but didnt seem to be last time I looked.
    I didn't know that about Matthews' one show, though I had read the piece about Lesh playing the shows.

Kevin55 likes this.
  21. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I think their first album is a classic. The second one I find has too many covers. I got panama red many years ago and was rather disappointed with that as well.

Michael likes this.
  22. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Saw them a few times with various friends while we were in high school, 2003-2007. Super fun times! Lots of weed.

Michael and John69 like this.
  23. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have just been told by Omnivore that COPYCATS pressed the vinyl for this 3 LP RSD release. Copycats is a new name to me and it is based here: - 2155 Niagara Lane North, Plymouth, MN 55447, United States. Website is www.copycatsmedia.com. From a brief scan through the website it would appear that they are 'quality conscious' and even mention 'audiophile in their About link. This is the text of the message I got from Omnivore:-

Hi, the LPs on this title were pressed by Copycats. They’ve been doing great work for us.
    Thanks,
    G.

Has anybody any experience of COPYCATS' work? I don't think even Michael Fremer has ever mentioned this plant in the State of Minnesota?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    clhboa and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

LP? no thanks...: )

25. Michael

I love all their Columbia albums...it ends there...MCA was abysmal!