New Riders Of The Purple Sage-An Open Discussion of Everything NRPS.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

We may find it too in the triple cd " Felt forum nyc march 73"...

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Indeed...

3. Michael

I haven't listen to the entire box yet, but from what I've heard is there any harmony? so far it seems to be just John singing solo...

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Michael likes this.
  5. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Who knows... he's pushing 74.

This place, Waterloo Village, is about 1 1/2 hours from me. Nice place for an outdoor concert. Been there a few times. Saw the H.O.R.D.E. Festival there w/Dave Matthews, Blues Traveler and the Allmans in the late 90s. Maybe I'll attend this show as well. It may depend on who else is playing.

Michael likes this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

He’s been quite sick

Michael likes this.
  7. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

I did not know he was ill. Thanks. We wish Buddy the best. His name is synonymous with the pedal steel.

Michael and fishcane like this.
  8. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that link. I just said to my brother the other night I really hope I get the chance to see the NRPS one more time. It looks like that wish will come true.

I don't think that Buddy will be able to play, though he may be able to attend (?). I would guess they will get Peter Grant or maybe Barry Sless.
    Such great news!

groundharp, Michael and fishcane like this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

rip buddy.... you were the only one who could fill Jerry’s shoes

10. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Agreed. I was saddened to hear he died just days after his name was mentioned here. :cry:

11. Michael

he was much better than Jerry as it was Buddy's instrument...he was incredible and elevated the band big tine! R.I.P. Buddy! : (

12. Michael

big time! : )

fishcane and clhboa like this.
  13. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Hard to believe won't see NRPS again. At least not the touring version that was touring from 2007 on. Was just thinking about the last time I saw the Riders 11/23/2014 at Fanclub (a now defunct venue) in Vancouver wondering if I would ever see them again and then read Buddy Cage died.

There is a great site Riderbase.info with very detailed setlists etc regarding the 2007 and on version of the band but it only seems to only go through 2012. Is there any more info out there for gigs they played after 2012? Wondering how many more times they actually played after the last time I saw them in Vancouver. I saw the 2007 to date version of the band 5 times and would have liked to have seen more but either location or timing didn't work out for more. Still grateful for the great shows I did get to see for that bands run.

There is still David Nelson band and they are great too.

melstapler and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

yes, sadly John, Dave Torbert, now Buddy...but Dave was a HUGE loss when he left the band...but they kept on truckin...I never felt comfortable with his replacement...When John died they were done as far as I'm concerned...I saw them live at least a dozen times or more...so many different incarnations! Damn...but we always usually had John, David and Buddy!a few times without David...years later it was just John, a guitar player and a very annoying violin player...I had great times talking with John throughout the years...he was a great guy. GREAT BAND.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Experiencereunited

Yes lots of incarnations. The 2007 to 2014? 2015? Longer? Incarnation had quite a long run of the same musicians 2 great albums with great new songs, great drummer and just an around great band. Every time I saw them I loved it and wanted to sse then again as soon as possible. I know they hadn’t played for a while due to Buddy’s bealth. When was the last known NrPS show ?

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

for me when John Dawson passed...

melstapler and ssmith3046 like this.
  17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I saw them in CT in 2015. Helped my friend deliver two trays of homemade lasagna to their bus. Great show from the front row.

Michael, clhboa, John69 and 3 others like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

While I appreciate all eras of the band, I even enjoyed the later Dawson trio years, I think the renaissance in the late 2000’s thru the end is a real gift, and featured some of the best music they ever performed. And being a huge Robert Hunter fan, the 2 studio albums are tremendous, out of this world

carlwm, Michael, John69 and 2 others like this.
  19. Experiencereunited

Looks like they toured through 2016.

Setlist.com lists their last show as being 10/23/2016 Chico Womens Club Chico, California.

So the final iteration of the band had nearly a 10 year run. Thats a pretty good run for any band.

melstapler likes this.
  20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

the last time I saw them was as part of a festival in upstate ny. on the same bill was albert lee with cindy cashdollar and the weight band. the riders closed out the day. that was 2014 and honestly I didn't think they were very good and we left long before they were done. maybe being so used to what they were like in their prime was a factor.

melstapler likes this.
  21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The last two albums... “Where I Come From” in particular... are very underrated. Then again I’m a big fan of the David Nelson Band. But still, excellent collection of songs. Wish they played them more live!

Michael and fishcane like this.
  22. Experiencereunited

I think much like GD they could be hit and miss. An off night might turn you off and preconceived notions based on any bands prime might also prevent one from enjoying. The Vancouver 2014 show I saw was probably the weakest (but it was still great) of the 5 "revival New Riders" shows I saw. Primarily the issue was due to Nelson's voice which was completely gone in Vancouver. Playing wise they were just as good as nearly as good as ever to me.

Crimson Witch and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

In recent years, David has had some health issues as well and I suspect that has affected his vocal range. With Buddy gone, hopefully David will continue to perform in some capacity.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Hard to believe indeed. Deep down I knew Buddy wasn't going to get well enough to play again, but his death hammers that thought home big time. I got to see 120 of the renaissance shows and had a blast at everyone of them! Too much fun as the Airmen once sang.

Ridersbase.info is my site. I have the files here up until the last show but for a lot of reasons I haven't updated the site in a long time. I need to do that.
    The last shows were in September 2016. David Nelson fell down and had to fly home. The band played a few more shows with some replacements, but then the tour was cancelled due to Buddy's health. They never got going again.

With that said, they recently announced a show in Stanhope NJ and hopefully more will be announced soon, though I doubt they will ever tour full time like they did for 10 years.
    Long live The New Riders Of The Purple Sage!

25. Experiencereunited

so the October 2016 shows listed on setlist.com never happened? They were in CA which would have been "home" for them