New Roger Daltrey Album - As Long as I Have You (June 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrazyBrown, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Good stuff :)
    Hate to be that guy but it sounds kind of 'Loud' to me lol (maybe I should turn the volume down? lol) but anyway if the rest of the album has as much passion, conviction, energy, and vigor, I'm all in. I thought Going Back Home was an absolute surprise of a success and joy. I'll be equally engaged and enraptured if the rest of the tracks for this album sound as hungry and is as satisfying as this lead single. Fingers crosssed!

Matthew Tate and Benn Kempster like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Both Roger and Pete say one thing and do something else all the time. For atleast 30 years.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Maybe he's taking the Elton John approach. Perform the hits for the crowds and make money, and go into the studio for his own artistic purposes. EJ has put out some great music since he stopped trying to record hits.

4. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

First happy Who related comment, happening thing, I've read since 2006 & Endless Wire.

If Townshend writes 1-2 of the songs, plays guitar & Daltrey sings lead, that is a new WHO track Imo, regardless of producer's, additional players.

Big if, need more details.

5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Saw him do "Always Going Home" from this live as set closer the other night in Stockton. Very sweet song, he didn't say if it was a cover or not and I'm not sure.....it is strange after him not thinking it worthwhile to make a solo lp basically since 1992 that he decided now is the time, but good on him.

His solo show was sublime, small old movie theater, more Who rarities than warhorses, very nice selection of actual solo songs, great vibe and attitude and the best all around vocal job I've heard from him in many years....not a moment I noticed of him failing to hit what he was going for,the ballads weren't the "moving croak" but actual great ballad singing. Hearing Dreaming from the Waist, How Many Friends, Athena, Tricky Day, and Going Mobile such a joy. Dreaming gave me goosebumps, and Friends full on tears.

6. johnny moondog 909

Can anybody give me more info, ok Pete plays the only guitar on 7 tracks ? One of 2-3 guitars ? Does he sing back up, big question for me, whether Pete sings back up...

So Pete wrote zero tunes for this..Dave Eringa the producer, is the guy who coproduced Be Lucky...... So is there even one old cover tune, that qualifies as the WHO, because Townshend sings the backing parts, or because the WHO used to do it in 64-65 ?

No offense, glad Roger did a new LP & Pete's involved, but I'm looking for 1-2 bonafide WHO tracks within the album, im not really excited about Daltrey solo, but that's how they're pushing this, I need more info ! Puhlease

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. johnny moondog 909

Just listened to the title company, lead single, remake of a Garnet Mims hit, they ( The WHO ) did a couple of his hits on the ( My Generation ) first album.

That is smoking, Daltrey sounds great in a lower key, some of the horns sound like keyboard patches.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Disappointed, you will be.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. johnny moondog 909

Yeah that's great Roger Daltrey has another solo album. Good for him !

Personally I get more excited about Townshend-Daltrey working together as the WHO in the studio. I suppose that's unlikely to ever happen. Again.

Townshend told the press late last year he'd presented Daltrey with 6-8 new songs, & the WHO wouldn't be doing a new album, because Daltrey turned Townshend down on the material, didn't want to sing it. So if Townshend was telling the truth, I guess that's it.

10. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

I've got tickets for Daltrey performing Tommy in mid/late June this year. Reading here what you heard him play, I wish he would forego doing the rock opera again and do the deep cut gems.

Jet Age Eric and PhoffiFozz like this.
  11. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I think he said when he first performed it live last year for the first time that it was a new song he had written.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

great news

reb likes this.
  13. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I don't see what you're trying to achieve here. In a thread that's discussing Roger's upcoming solo project, you're saying that this is no good and where's a Who album?

Roger has ALWAYS rejected Townshend material that's been put to him for various reasons. Didn't prevent future albums or recordings appearing. It's his prerogative. He (and Pete) as part of what's left of The Who owe no one anything......

Ernest T and whodanny like this.
  14. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

I kinda would assume that we won't be hearing John on there, otherwise I feel that woulda been touted in the press release.

Fully agreed. I personally think it's great that the two living members of The Who are still working together, giving each other help. If they wanna do new music as The Who, awesome. If they wanna do other stuff, that's awesome too. I'm just glad that they are alive and happy and being creative. Plus, we are seemingly always getting vault material from them so there's no lack of previously unheard Who/Townshend material as of late.

Anyways, I don't get the obsession with fitting a square peg into a round hole and making this a new Who thing so some guy in some random place can add a new track to his Who playlist. And this is coming from me, a guy who would be over the moon if it were announced that Rog and Pete were going to put out a new song or album. I still feel incredibly lucky to have "Real Good Looking Boy", "Old Red Wine" and "Be Lucky" (didn't care much for Endless Wire) and if that's is all she wrote for the studio career of The Who then so be it.

15. johnny moondog 909

I was trying to learn how much involvement Pete Townshend had with the tracks, when I read he played guitar on 7 tracks. At the time I posted, it was unclear whether he'd had a hand in any songwriting, vocals, or other participation, besides simply overdubbing some guitar. I was further intrigued & hopeful when I also read, members of The WHO & Daltrey touring band were involved with the tracks. I wondered gee does his involve Zak & or Simon as well ? Or the new keyboard guy that replaced Rabbit Bundrick. I also learned Dave Eringa who coproduced the last WHO single "Be Lucky" was the producer of this album.

So bearing all those things in mind, I thought, gee I wonder if any of these cuts might be considered a new, current WHO track, seeing as Daltrey, Townshend & other current people are involved.

Wikipedia & the press release I read had some information on recordin credits, but had a lot of gaps in info. I quickly learned "Certified Rose" was part of the album, of course that's been rumored to be a WHO song, since before Entwistle died, or in fact there was a big article saying there was a version Entwistle had played on. Later that story was expanded or elaborated, saying they had an Entwistle bass line for Certified Rose, that would potentially be flown in, to another version, featuring Daltrey, Townshend & Entwistle. As I recall the bass line stories were prior to Endless Wire in that time period, & then again in 2007-8 when people were discussing a follow up to Endless Wire.

So yeah reading all those things, only partially explained or clear, I wondered if amongst the new 11 Daltrey tracks on his album, if there were 1-2 that might be considered a new WHO track(s). Of course the WHO themselves have called numerous press conferences to announce their new album & follow up to Endless Wire. They've done it at least 8-10 times circa 2007-15 or 16. Going into great & specific details. A covers album with T Bone Burnett, then a Quadrophenia style rock opera called Floss, then a new WHO album where "some" of the more "Conventional" Floss songs would be included, & then about a 1/2 dozen more variations on that "Floss" theme, then how the new songs reminded Pete of pub rock by someone like Ian Drury. Then how it would be recorded before the 50th anniversary tour, then between tours, then after the tour, & finally they said, after all those many announcements they said "What album ?" Why would we bother with a new album it doesn't pay anymore....Right after Daltrey said that, his people announced a new album.

Honestly though I think you know a lot about the WHO & their recording history, & you probably already knew everything I just explained. About Certified Rose being a rumored WHO track & Entwistle's rumored bass line, & that Dave Eringa produced the last WHO single in addition to this new album, that you knew some of the current WHO band plays on the album, that Townshend plays on most of the tracks.

So in my view you're just being sarcastic or rude. I'm a lot more excited about a potentially new WHO track, & some of the info seemed to indicate it was quite possible. You seem to be down on my comments, as if I'm trying to insult Roger Daltrey & his new album. Because I had the nerve to ask about any WHO tracks or WHO connection. My inquiring wasn't to insult Roger Daltrey, he's great. But for a moment with the early reports & press release, I thought Certified Rose or another new Daltrey track, might also be considered a new WHO track, I was very excited about that possibility. I'm genuinely sorry you have such a problem with that. No hard feelings Ben

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  16. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The Who have called numerous press conferences to announce new albums since Endless Wire or it has just been dropped in random interviews?

17. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

I honestly think Roger Daltrey got tired of trying to coordinate something, anything with Pete Townshend regarding another album after Endless Wire. Its no secret Townshend's songwriting isn't what it was. I too remember a covers album by The Who was talked about sometime around 2009. Daltrey must have held onto that idea long enough to when he started to assemble covers for this album. Of course the potential payoff from a Who project would be sweeter than a solo project, but a solo project is better than nothing at all. I like the single that was just released. Hope the rest of the album's vibe is just as infectious. Breaking free from interpreting Townshend's increasingly peculiar songs of late is not a bad thing either.

Matthew Tate and melstapler like this.
  18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very interesting. I saw Roger on tour around that time and he played a handful of covers in addition to The Who material everyone expected. Like before, I'm hoping Simon will be part of the band on this tour as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

“You know the difficult thing for Roger and me is that we have never really collaborated on a creative level,” Townshend says, “not even in the way we plan stage shows. Either I am driving or he is driving.”

But he’s full of praise for Daltrey’s vocal powers (“Roger sings like a superhero”) and songwriting.

“The next ‘Who’ album if there is to be one really needs to feature songs from Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend in equal numbers,” he concludes, surprisingly.

The Who’s Roger Daltrey Flies Solo, With Help From Pete Townshend

[​IMG]

Johnny Reb likes this.
  20. Sandinista, Matthew Tate and Eiricd like this.
  21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Certified Rose was enough to tempt me. Pre-ordered.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Pre ordered

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The song is surprisingly good with Roger in solid form. Hope the rest of the album matches its passion and energy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

He sounds great.

which is more than you can say about the audio quality / mix on spotify...really terrible :(

25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.