New Roger Daltrey Album - As Long as I Have You (June 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrazyBrown, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Alright, only one day away from the release of the new album from one of the greatest Rock N Roll singers of all time! My CD is already waiting for me at my local shop with the vinyl on order for next week delivery. Heck I could go pick up the CD today, but saving it for a Friday night jam!

So today I will be firing up my vinyl of "Going Back Home", My Generation, and A Quick One, to wet my appetite.

My top 5 Rock singers are - Daltrey, Plant, Jagger, Rodgers, and Marriott. Maybe this will be the release that firmly (Plants) Daltrey as my all time favorite. Been fortunate to have seen the original "Who" over a dozen times live, so no doubt I am more than ready for this one, and having Pete playing on 7 of the 11 songs make it that much more exciting!

CrazyBrown, thanks for starting this awesome thread!

Matze S., CrazyBrown and Ernest T like this.
  2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The Japanese version has an exclusive acoustic version of "How Far"
    As Long As I Have You [SHM-CD] [Japan Bonus Track] Roger Daltrey CD Album

melstapler and WhoTapes1 like this.
  3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

It’s nice time hat this is a new CD in a jewel case - a rare thing these days!

Spanish Prisoner likes this.
  4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Just on my first spin. It’s good... I don’t love it, but it’s good.

J_D__ and dee like this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

most smaller labels still use jewel cases on new releases. I just bought 5 new releases all in jewel cases

6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Soaring vocals and some very generous treatments of material that really suits a mature Daltrey. Pete's contributions are understated enough to not warrant any comparison with The Who of recent vintage. That being said, all the Daltrey originals here are infinitely better than "Be Lucky".

"Certified Rose" is beautiful and I can't wait to hear the version with JAE on and Pete's attack.

Sounds to me like this is Roger's love letter to Heather.

Easily the best solo release of Roger's career.

7. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Just playing it for the first time now. You couldn't call it innovative but its pretty good. His voice sounds fab for a guy of his age. "Certified Rose" is indeed excellent. Lovely horns. Nothing like the Who. Really enjoyable though. Well done Rog!

No Bull, Jet Age Eric, J_D__ and 4 others like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Good to hear...just picked up my CD and will have to wait for my wife to get home later before I can play it. What I really wished would have happened is that Pete played guitar on the entire album and added a little more influence and made this the Daltrey/Townshend band...I believe fans would have respected not putting The Who umbrella over it. I also think it could have helped make what sounds like a pretty good album from early feedback, a great album.

9. Received the blue vinyl version from www.jpc.de

The blue color is very bright and looks nice with the red, old-style Polydor label. Pressing seems to be quite nice, did not see any marks and it plays back without any clicks or pops.

And the vinyl release comes with a download code in WAV format, which I always appreciate very much. Makes me feel like a get the CD with it.

Musically, it is safe harbor area, but I quite like it. I think the vocals have a nice, "aged" quality to them. The production is decent, there are some horns on several tracks, and it is a soulful album.

I like the album cover and the overall presentation. It is good to have some new music by Roger, and Pete Townshend plays on quite a few tracks, I think.

No Bull, longdist01, andybeau and 3 others like this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Enjoyed reading your review, thank you for posting it! The colored vinyl and label sounds like an attractive match.

WhoTapes1 and rjstauber like this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw I alluded before to the wishful thinking that Pete both enjoyed playing on it and maybe it will inspire him to either work on or just release more of his own recordings, perhaps with and without Roger, and both new and old. There, lol I eventually managed to express what it is a fan 'wants' PT to do rather than realising he's going to do what he's going to do. No kudos for me lol. Anyway, Disc 2 of WCF reissue has been enjoyable to me and the Primal Scoop LP, despite leaving off a few key demos, was also really enjoyable for me fwtw.

arthurprecarious and scotti like this.
  12. Here's the dynamic range info for the CD version:

Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-06-01 20:39:12
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Roger Daltrey / As Long As I Have You
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR6        0.00 dB    -8.01 dB      3:17 01-As Long As I Have You
    DR7        0.00 dB    -8.42 dB      3:04 02-How Far
    DR6        0.00 dB    -8.49 dB      4:05 03-Where's A Man To Go
    DR7        0.00 dB    -8.63 dB      3:31 04-Get On Out The Rain
    DR8        0.00 dB    -9.46 dB      3:30 05-I've Got Your Love
    DR11      -0.41 dB   -14.60 dB      4:09 06-Into Your Arms
    DR8        0.00 dB    -9.11 dB      3:57 07-You Haven't Done Nothing
    DR7        0.00 dB    -8.69 dB      2:05 08-Out Of Sight
    DR7        0.00 dB    -8.45 dB      3:15 09-Certified Rose
    DR7        0.00 dB    -8.77 dB      3:06 10-The Love You Save
    DR9       -0.33 dB   -12.03 dB      3:26 11-Always Heading Home

Number of tracks:  11
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           1411 kbps
    Codec:             PCM
    ================================================================================

laf848 likes this.
  13. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

It's not really to my taste, but it's better than anything the Who have done in the last forty years. I forgot how good a singer Roger can be when he doesn't have to deliver Townsend's ridiculous lyrics.

KingPrawn19 likes this.
  14. Cyriaxx

Cyriaxx Forum Resident

The blue vinyl looks nice:

[​IMG]

15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

First half is really good and second half is alright. It's how I hear it after two listens.

rjstauber and jl151080 like this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

99.9% of musicians would love to be able to create Townshends rediculous lyrics:)

17. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Very jealous. Ordered from the official store and... they ran out and basically sent out a notice to say "you'll get it when you get it".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Has to be the most ignorant post I have read on this forum!

laf848, marcb, The Big Guy and 4 others like this.
  19. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Wonder how many masterpieces this :wantsome:JD has come up with during his professional career in the music industry. :crazy:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. RupertPupkin

RupertPupkin Forum Resident

there's a lot of covers... "Into My Arms" - Nick's cave cover is just piano and Roger Daltrey's voice is superb.
    There's some fifties cover (subtly arranged; in the vein of Run Devil Run (McCartney)
    Pete plays guitar on most of the songs.

"How Long" is amazing. Acoustic guitar, thin bass, drums. With this typical lick on acoustic guitar and Roger Daltrey's powerful voice; this could have been from the Quadrophenia era or Who Ny Numbers...

at first when I bought it I was afraid to be disappointed or realized that Daltrey lost his voice, that's why I'm so enthusiast...

so many left us recently (Lou Reed, David Bowie, etc...) and a lot of singers who were born during the same era lost their voices; so I was really impressed to hear Roger Daltrey on this humble album. Not trying to sing and show us a "demo" of "tour de force" (= I have still my powerfull voice). It's just a nice collection of songs, assembled much more like a solo album- the presence of Pete Townshend on guitar is a plus. But I'm amazed about he still has a chamelon voice - his low and steady voice, very moving on Nick Cave's cover "In Your Arms" (now I would like to hear Daltrey sing Tom Waits "Ruby's Arms"*) a voice which is still really powerful (the second track ""How Long" could have been from the seventies, you can't guess when you don't know - I love this guitar-acoustic-lick - very catchy)- one of the best track of the album IMHO
    and there's a lot of classic piano (no synth) which works nicely...
    "Where Is A Man To Go?" has some great piano arrangement which can be believed this could be on a Who album from the very end of the seventies. I love the little gospel touch. Which has never been done on a Who album. You have Townshend on electric guitar... It's really a great song.

But song after song, the album tends to go into a much more "stripped-down" arrangement; closer to "roots"... (the 3 last songs for instance)...
    so the A face / and B face have a different feeling...

since it's nicely produced, not overproduced and that there's an humility with this nice selection of tracks- I think that's the kind of album which can grow listen after listen...

a great surprise after Robert Plant's album which came out a few months ago....

Is there a Japanese CD release (generally they have some extra/bonus exclusive tracks) ???

*with Marushka Detmers walking naked in the room like in First Name Carmen (J-L Godard movie which used "Ruby's Arms" on this movie; in the best way it could be...)

No Bull, rjstauber, andybeau and 6 others like this.
  21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Zero, I'm in marketing.

22. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

"How Far", it's a Stephen Stills composition originally released in 1972, love the folksy vibe and how they rearranged the song some.

Yes, it includes an exclusive acoustic version of "How Far".
    As Long As I Have You [SHM-CD] [Japan Bonus Track] Roger Daltrey CD Album

Dog Ear likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got a chance to crank it up last night and with all due respect, this is a very disappointing album. Yes, his voice sounds fantastic, and yes the instrumentation is good, but it's the over all choice of songs and just way too laid back at times. The back ground singing does not work and way too much horn work IMO. Roger, could you not have fired up the harmonica instead?

Sure there are some good songs here, especially "How Far" but after the kick as$ "Going Back Home" I was expecting much more bite to it. The CD sounds ok, but not great. I have no reason to get this on vinyl now. Of course I will give this some more listens, and maybe I just had my hopes too high for this and it will grow on me more, but with that said, this could have been a much better album IMO...

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Looks like I need to purchase this one :)

Elliottmarx and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Always Heading Home" and "Certified Rose" are my personal standouts. After one full listen (plus multiple listens to the preview tracks), Pete's contributions appear to be so pedestrian as to escape easy notice (as in I never had a "Oh, there's Pete" moment), perhaps by design.

I love the first Manassas album, and I was definitely surprised to hear Roger pluck a song from it. Perhaps the original is far too ingrained in my brain, but I have not warmed to the cover which changes up the melodic quality that's central to the original.

No Bull, Elliottmarx and jlf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.