New Roger Daltrey Album - As Long as I Have You (June 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrazyBrown, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Completely agree with this post. I have been listening to the album quite a bit the past few days. This is by far Roger’s finest solo album. Roger sings his guts out and does an incredible job interpreting all of the material. “Always Heading Home” contains one of his best vocals since the 1980’s, even has shades of his vocal prime from decades ago. The production is also first-rate.

phillyal1, Fischman, dee and 9 others like this.
  2. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I am really enjoying this album by Roger on Spotify and will be buying the CD soon. It's actually my first solo Roger album that I have ever paid attention to. In any case, I don't know if anyone has brought this up before but on my first listen I was a bit distracted by the fade of the title track. It seems the fade is too abrupt. I noticed this on the first listen. Anyone feel the same or am I crazy?

longdist01, dee, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  3. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

His vocals on this album are so soulful. everything is coming from his heart.

dee, melstapler, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  4. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Both versions of the vinyl have been included in the U Discover Music winter sale at the bargain price of £8.99 (£8.09 if you have not previously purchased from the site) ordered this nostalgically desirable red Polydor design.
    As Long As I Have You (Exclusive Limited Red Vinyl)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Hep Alien likes this.
  5. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Do you know if the red version has a spine with printed Artist/Title info? (a little OCD about blank spines)

6. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

I only ordered it yesterday along with Elton John - Captain Fantastic so I'm not expecting delivery for a few days. From the picture it looks like it's presented in the style of a single be it 7" or 12". The blue vinyl edition has been discussed earlier in this forum but I believe that came in the original sleeve design. I will update on receipt.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  7. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Finally arrived this morning and am pleased to report that it does indeed have the artist/title information on the spine. I believe the sale is still running.

8. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

But no sleeve notes, inner sleeve or lyrics?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

The track details are on the label but absolutely no information beyond that. It's a replica of a Polydor single of old. It does come with a download code. The sleeved edition was at the same price . This was a nostalgic purchase based on the record company design possibly as much as the music contained. The vinyl is a deeper red than the label and the sleeve. Would have preferred consistently throughout, but it's still a nice item.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

The vinyl version of this is only £8.99 on amazon.co.uk at the moment for anybody still sitting on the fence. That was a good enough offer to tempt me. Have really enjoyed this album, possibly more than the new Who album to be honest although it is still early days to make a call.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

I can see how the fade on the title track might seem a little premature. At the end of the fade though Roger started vamping the vocals and the last one sounds like he drops down a little awkwardly to his speaking voice. I dunno. The timing and length of the fade seems okay to me fwiw. I can understand how it could seem to sound early though.

What a strong set of performances and solid selection of songs and tasteful arrangements.

I think John Hogg beefs up the sound of it all too, laying down a deep full end of sound, striking the right style with his nimble, melodic bass guitar playing.

The soulful and gospel-like background vocals in some of the songs are often mixed not too high and add another dimension to, rather than overwhelm, imo. Adding another nuance of emotion to the performances.

Roger's vocals are often mixed and heard quite clearly through much of this album.

Into My Arms, Certified Rose, Out of Sight/Out of Mind etc. At the end of the latter it sounds like he is channeling "The Lion" (Van Morrison) inside himself and his singing sounds spectacular.

Such a solid, strong follow-up album of tunes and performances to his lead vocals and the songs and music on the Going Back Home album.

Side 2 is on the more mellow side with some touching ballads.

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Heckuva good listen this album still is. Sprung for the blue vinyl which was a good buy and plays super and looks cool. This and the Jeff Beck Loud Hailer album I seem to have a great fondness for as a pair. I don't know the connection but I'd be interested to hear the two of them do an EP together of cover songs.

longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Reviving this thread as I just recently got the vinyl and listened to it for the first time today. I really enjoyed it and Roger is in good voice. The EU black vinyl is nice and thick, probably 180g and dead silent...a beautiful pressing. I was thinking of how well recorded it is, nice and dynamic. It is available on Amazon.ca for $17.12 CDN right now!

dee, No Bull, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  14. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I was not yet on SHF when this thread aired, so this latest bump is my first time seeing it.

I really have no brilliant input beyond what has already been said, but I'm happy to take any opportunity to say how much I love this album.

Roger did a great job selecting material and his delivery is fantastic.

And yes, what a well preserved voice!

phillyal1, No Bull, sharedon and 4 others like this.
  15. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

Is the vinyl version better than the CD? I find the CD pretty harsh, especially the title track.

16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I haven’t heard the vinyl. The CD sounds a little harsh to me as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.