NEW SACD D-07x from Luxman introduced in Japan

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SME12A, Jan 26, 2023.

1. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever Thread Starter

2. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Very nice indeed !

SME12A likes this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

This is now ready for pre-order in the UK, arriving in March. The price is £10,000. (I had been hoping a bit less.) I'm thinking to upgrade my d-03x.

The new d-07x has many things in common with their top-of-the-range d-10x (at £15k), for example the DAC chipset and the CD transport mech. It looks superb, with SACD playback, and DSD support through the DAC via USB in.

SME12A likes this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

So bummed they won't make a more affordable unit in between the D-03X and D-07X that has SACD playback capability. Still don't understand why they removed it from the D-03X when it's predecessor did have that functionality.

trebor2, bruce2, SME12A and 1 other person like this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

While I can't afford such a player, the fact that manufacturers are still developing new SACD players is a good sign for the format.

Recent new SACD players announced include the Technics SL-G700 M2 ($3,500) and the Denon DCD-1700NE ($1,500).

Dave, GKH, LeeS and 7 others like this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah surprised that Denon made a nice new high end SACD. Good news for SACD in the future imo :)

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I believe the Denon DCD-1700NE is just a refresh of the Denon DCD-1600NE, which I was able to pick up brand new from Music Direct for $900 during last year's Black Friday sale (it was also available at Denon's own website at the sale price).

Nonetheless, it is good to see Denon still marketing a new SACD player.

MikeJedi and SME12A like this.
  8. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

soooo having so much in common with the D-10X, what's the difference? Have we seen any kind of comparison chart kinda thing?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed, it is good to see.

The 1700 is bigger (deeper by 2.1") and heavier (by 1.7 lbs) than the 1600, so something is different: Compare Denon DCD-1600NE vs Denon DCD-1700NE | B&H Photo

soundboy likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone hear/buy one of these?

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I’ve been planning to go and hear one for ages. Must get around to it

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Look for a used D05u from Japan. Got a pristine 2019 model for less than a new Marantz player and it sounds phenomenal. One of the best purchases I have made in this hobby.
    Luxman D-05U Cd Player | eBay

13. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

@avanti1960
    How are you dealing with the voltage/x-former frequency (assuming it’s 100/50hz) or is this unit set for American power?

14. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I’d rather wait for a used US voltage version to pop up. There was actually one recently for a very low price. Not looking to add step down transformers to run a component.

Dave likes this.
  15. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

16. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

The frequency (Hz) you don't have to worry about, as Japanese market gear runs at 50 / 60 Hz as they have both in different parts of their country.... if you look at the back panel on most Japanese components you'll see 50 / 60 Hz.

And avanti, as most who own 100V gear, probably uses a step down transformer (in fact I know he does, as he's shared the Nissyo one on Amazon before, not sure if still using it).

What's interesting, if you're in an area where you're drawing 115V, many Japanese components are spec'd in a range of say 93V to 113V tolerance on voltage, and I know people who run their components with no step down in that case. Personally, I would still run the step down, but just sharing what some do. BTW, I measure 124V in my outlet, and use a 125V --> 100V step down.... there are 115V -- 100V versions too, but if I used it, the net result would be 107V, not 100.... just something to pay attention to.

But yes, if you're like most, the step down transformer is the extra piece you have to invest in, and I recommend getting a good one if you ever decided to. I used to recommend ACUPWR readily, I own a couple of those, but recently saw their prices have skyrocketed! Probably because of all the recs for them, they're good quality.... there are others.

Realize the step down range is typically around only 15-25V, and it's not something you have to worry about, you'll read all sorts of assertions about power issues of course, but as long as you have good draw and clean power to the outlet, adding a 20V step down to the outlet is not going to cause any power "starving" situations, etc. At least not audible, if even measurable.

One more thing - those who are industrious can re-wire most any component from 100V to 120V --- in fact, since some components sold in Japan as well as US, there's probably a terminal block under the hood already there for 120V, you just have to move the contacts :). But this is not for everyone!

inzite likes this.
  17. Designsfx

Designsfx Forum Resident

@Vinyl Addict
    Interesting info about your situation and use. I’m totally aware of the mixed use in Japan but it’s the voltage variance that seems to be the moving target on some of these components even though it makes sense from a production standpoint (just change a label for compliance).
    I used to design systems for use in Japan and one interesting note to this is the flexibility that can be worked in on the DC side of internal components that exist within the same tolerances. At the end of the day you find in some cases that there is really no penalty as long as the incoming voltage is not to widely out of spec.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Has anyone compared the d-03x to the d-07x?