New Savoy Brown album Witchy Feelin' due in August

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I am a long time fan and I'm looking forward to this one as they have been on a pretty good roll since joining Ruf Records.

Here is the track listing.

Tracklist

1. Why Did You Hoodoo Me
    2. Livin' On The Bayou
    3. I Can't Stop The Blues
    4. Witchy Feelin'
    5. Guitar Slinger
    6. Vintage Man
    7. Standing In A Doorway
    8. Memphis Blues
    9. Can't Find Paradise
    10. Thunder Lighting & Rain
    11. Close To Midnight

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    pool_of_tears likes this.
  2. John Fell

In addition, they have also released a live album that is sold through their web site only. They released Vol. 1 over a year ago. If you order a copy, Kim Simmonds will autograph it for you.

[​IMG]

Here is the track listing.

1. Nuthin' Like The Blues
    2. Monday Morning Blues
    3. Shot In The Head
    4. I'm Tired
    5. Black Night
    6. Street Corner Talking
    7. Ride On Babe
    8. Savoy Brown Boogie/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. John Fell

This is one band that actually deserves a box set as they have many albums and we don't really know what exists in the vaults. I know some of their BBC sessions appear on a bootleg.

unclefred, allbrosca and peachyg72 like this.
  4. John Fell

I guess there aren't many Savoy Brown fans around here.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Hellbound Train is all I know. Where do I start?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. John Fell

The early albums Blue Matter through Lion's Share are all worthwhile in my opinion. My favorite is probably Raw Sienna along with Street Corner Talking and Looking In.

If you can find a copy of the 2 cd The Savoy Brown Collection, it is a really good summation of their early material. The more recent albums on Ruf Records are a good return to form.

The Best of Savoy Brown is an alternative if you want a single disc sampler of their classic period.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    peachyg72 likes this.
  7. parman

parman Music Junkie

Is Kim the only original member left in the band?

8. John Fell

Yes.

9. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Love Savoy Brown. I saw them a few times at the Fillmore East back in the day. I can remember everyone in their seats (no one stood up in those days) bobbing their heads back and forth to Savoy Brown Boogie. Raw Sienna is my favorite SB album.

John Fell likes this.
  10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I have Savoy Brown's Raw Sienna & Looking In two-fer (2 albums on 1 CD), and I like both these albums very much. They were a solid talented group, not just some guys playing a dozen different versions of the 12-bar blues.

Some of their stuff has a slightly jazzy feel to it, and they occasionally used horns in their music. When I consider how old the band was, it's hard to believe how sophisticated their music was at the time. It's a very interesting and entertaining listen -- doesn't sound terribly dated to me.

peachyg72 and John Fell like this.
  11. John Fell

Kim Simmonds jazzier playing at times made them more interesting in my opinion.

peachyg72 likes this.
  12. John Fell

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's a shame that the Savoy Brown Collection seems to be out of print. That is why they are in need of a good multiple cd box set that also includes some live material and rarities.

Kim Simmonds helped compile the Savoy Brown Collection.

13. My Savoy Brown albums
    Shake Down (the debut album, only available as an import in the US to the best of my knowledge)
    A Step Further (couldn't live without the Boogie)
    Hellbound Train
    Lion's Share (first of their albums I bought)
    Boogie Brothers
    Wire Fire
    Greatest Hits Live In Concert
    Live In Central Park
    Hellbound Train, Live 1969-1972
    The Savoy Brown Collection
    Also Chris Youlden's City Child
    I know there's a lot of holes in there but....

peachyg72 likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I liked them up till 1972/73 with Dave Walker.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I was not aware of their first album until today "Shake Down" via wiki, I thought it was "Getting To The Point", after hearing "Blue Matter" I went to the record store and ordered 'Point'
    [​IMG]. [​IMG]

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Kim is still my favourite guitar player.

17. John Fell

Those 2 lps are pretty good but the first album is mostly straight blues covers. I don't think the first album was released in the U.S. and was only available as an import.

imawalrus likes this.
  18. Yes, I bought my copy of "Shake Down" as an import. Wikipedia says it was never issued in the US. Not that any lineup of Savoy Brown was particularly stable back in those days, the first LP was the only one made by that particular early one. It was a whole new lineup for "Getting To The Point" save for Kim and Bob Hall who played piano on a couple of the "Shake Down" tracks.

19. John Fell

Yes. there was a lot of band turnover with Savoy Brown.

20. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Savoy Brown has always been Kim Simmonds' group regardless of his sidemen. He started the group in the late 60's while a teenager and has maintained a traditional boogie blues style throughout the group's long run. Many of the group's members have fallen by the wayside or jumped ship along the way including 3/4 of Foghat, a more commercially focused group composed of a former Savoy Brown lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist "Lonesome Dave" Peverrett, bassist Tony Stevens and drummer Roger Earl. Their rapid ascension to fame after leaving Savoy Brown had little impact on Kim Simmonds direction. He just kept boogyin' along doin' his own thing picking up other musicians along the way.

Kim's musical direction and choices have always informed Savoy Brown's music. At one point Kim took over vocal leads after having the departure of Savoy's lead vocalist on their hit album Street Corner Talkin'. Although Kim has always controlled the direction of the group, he comes across as a music driven artist of mild temperament rather than an ego inflated showman. In that respect, he reminds me a lot more of technical perfectionists like Robin Trower than attitude driven control freaks like ...say, Ted Nugent.

Arguably, Kim's biggest failing may have been missing opportunities to expand the group's fan base through archiving professional filmed performances of Savoy Brown from various eras. There are plenty of recent fan shot videos of varying quality which display Kim's dexterity as an axe Man of the first order, but painfully little from this group's golden mid-70's period, when they achieved modest success with singles like Tell Mama and longer epic tunes like Hellbound Train that were a staple of AOR on FM.

Groups of similar fame have been much better represented based on YouTube and other video mediums. It may be that Kim is camera shy or has a stubborn preferrence for his audience seeing live performance music, but in today's heavily video oriented era, archived film footage is an important part of any classic group's legacy. Still, listening to Savoy Brown live cuts from their golden era it's easy to understand the group's popularity and Kim's vision.

:cheers:
    Cat

zphage, imawalrus and peachyg72 like this.
  21. John Fell

[​IMG]
    Here is the track listing for the first volume of the web site only live release Still Live After All These Years for those that might be interested.

1. Goin' To The Delta
    2. Laura Lee
    3. Looking In
    4. Miss Your Love
    5. A Hard Way To Go
    6. Sunday Night
    7. Train To Nowhere
    8. Muddy Waters Story
    9. Louisiana Blues
    10. Tell Mama

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Are you kidding? The 1966-78 era is great

peachyg72 likes this.
  23. pool_of_tears

That 1993 collection was produced by Bill Levenson...well worth having!

John Fell likes this.
  24. pool_of_tears

Raw Sienna has some jazzy moments...Is That So is a standout instrumental

25. John Fell

I think they sort of "lost the plot" a bit after Lions Share when Dave Walker left for Fleetwood Mac, although Boogie Brothers isn't too bad. Their more recent albums on Ruf Records are actually enjoyable and I was pleasantly surprised when I picked one of them up on a whim. All of the albums on Ruf are pretty good so I am looking forward to the new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.