New Season of Survivor -- Anybody Watch It?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

My wife and I are huge Survivor fans, but I gotta tell ya, after All-Stars and Rupert, this one looks like a big letdown. I really didn't grasp onto anybody, but, hey, it's only one night, right? Next week?......

2. GregY

GregY New Member

It always take a few weeks for my wife and I to get into it. I thought All-Stars was a great idea in theory but wasn't that great in reality because everyone knew had to play the game.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I've never seen an episode of Survivor...not to thread crap as I DID answer your question! :D Frankly, I suspect the only thing I'm missing is the radiation...(now that's a thread crap!)

4. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Well, I'm not a big reality show person, but I watched some of tonight's to get a feel for the location. My sister is moving to Vanuatu (the island chain where they filmed this), soon, as her husband accepted a job with the Peace Corps there.

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Same feeling here.... However, there were a few that were worth grasping on to! :D

6. Mark

Not to worry. I think I thread-crapped on my own thread!

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we never miss it.

i am not happy with split on the boys team between young and old already. it is way to early the game to draw those kinds of lines. the guy who couldn't make it across the beam should have been voted off, but he knew he had the "old" vote and wasn't even worried.

the women have a couple of really weak links IMO, and this will show in the coming weeks.

and i do agree with the one statement that the guy with the prothesis will be very hard to vote off.

renny

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Well, it should be interesting to see how they manage the physical challenges given the division of the tribes into male/female. No brute strength tests until the tribes merge. That said, I'm always impressed with the amount of work and thought that the producers put into all the challenges.

9. GregY

GregY New Member

For those of you that watch every season, which were your favorites and which were your least favorite?

10. Mark

I agree, Renny. I also muted out the pig deal. Why do they need to show that stuff? I know it's the culture, but c'mon.

11. Mark

All-Stars was clearly my favorite, by far. There have been a couple of recent duds, but I jut don't remember the specifics. I also liked the one where Colby essentially gave the million away because he made a promise, which he kept. And, judging by the ads I see, he's doing OK these days, too.

12. Colby seems to be a very nice man, judging by his post Survivor interviews and his spot on the "best of" live show at the end of last season, but what a dufus. Giving away a million dollars to a woman who's family is already wealthy. :rolleyes:

My girlfiriend is a big Survivor fan. We watched last night's episode. I wasn't too big on anybody either. Maybe we missed something, but why was the person who was voted off, voted off? I thought they were gunning for the guy that couldn't get across the beam during the reward/imunity challange.

And do the producers have to bring on a "Tom" type every season? What is up with that? :rolleyes:

13. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

Made plans to watch it but two idiot drivers took out the utility pole that bring the juice into my side of town. It it really an accident if you do something you know is dangerous?

14. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

My wife and I have watched every season thus far, but funnily enough, are not huge fans (i.e we're like the completist that bought "1" and "Let It Be ... Naked" - which is also me :) ). I ususally tape it and we watch it right after - skipping the commercials and the challenges if they look uninteresting or something we've seen before.

I don't think we've ever really grasped onto anyone after the first episode, and then it's funny when they have the recap show halfway through, and you remember the first show (and by this time you know who's who). There are a couple of ladies who are worth a second look though.

The worst season was where you had a dead heat of goody two-shoes at the end (along with Kathy) - i.e. the southern judge, Neleh (from Utah) and the religious woman that won (Vesepia). Not surprisingly, none were invited to All-Stars (other than Kathy).

To be honest, I think it's run its course and I much prefer "The Amazing Race".

Cliff

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does anyone know whatever happened to colleen haskell from survivor season one?

i know she was in the movie with rob schneider, but what about after that?

renny

16. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Maybe the utility pole was covered in pig fat ....... sorry, I forgot, you missed the episode! :)

Cliff

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

That's the thing about Survivor....sometimes the season's bomb...the most memorable were the early ones (Borneo/ Australia/ Africa).

All-Star helped put some juice into the franchise...no doubt.

Why anyone would want to live on bad water and rice for over a month while standing in the soggy rain is beyond me. At times on All-Star...conditions looked miserable.

Yet they have no problem signing up more clueless (some of them really have no business being out in a jungle) people who appear to want just to be on TV.

Originally other than the $$$ one of them could win....most thought that this was their ticket to TV fame. The first Survivor had a few of them get face-time on TV (Colleen Haskell even appeared in a movie) but after time a Survivor contestant isn't thought in high regard anymore (see Jerri).

Yet I watch each season...my kids love the show and I do have my coffee each morning in my official Survivor mug. :D

18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Don't watch 'em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.