New Series - Dark - on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dgstrat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

need to rewatch S2 before diving into S3

great show.

unclefred likes this.
  2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Some big changes going on! it's like watching The Prisoner back in 1969.

RayS likes this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm not sure if that will help. :D

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Every time the scene transitions in Season 3, I play "What year, which world?" It's like being on a game show!"

vegafleet, Vidiot and unclefred like this.
  5. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

So thankful this is back and not delayed like all my other favorites. On episode 2 of new season now, just as twisted as ever. Confusing as all hell, but i love this show.

unclefred likes this.
  6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Keep you eyes on which direction that trio of harelips are going. A small detail, but one worth paying attention to, and not a continuity error.

We've watched four episodes and are really enjoying it. The confusion ratio is certainly going up again with this season, but unlike other shows, its' creators have always done a good job of attaining clarity on what the heck is going on and when.

RayS and unclefred like this.
  7. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I just finished season 1. It’s one of the best things I’ve watched. I was skeptical but it amazed me from start to finish.

MikeInFla, unclefred and RayS like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Just found this! On season 1! Very strange things going on! On episode 8.

9. DigMyGroove

Two more episodes to go and we’re done with the series. I’ll be sad to finish, but can’t wait to see how things resolve.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is this really similar to Stranger Things?

I find that show unbearable. I know I'm in the minority.

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Not even a little bit, except for being a fantasy show. "Dark" has a very serious tone, I don't think there is even one funny moment in the whole series.

unclefred likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

I’m very happy with the moving finale, finally a show that explained it all to the audience, and still kept you riveted right up until the end. Kudos for the great cast,crew, direction and writing!

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The family flow chart might help sort out who's who to whom.

[​IMG]

JackBnimble, proedros and wolfram like this.
  14. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Well S3 certainly ratcheted up the confusion level, but it did get wrapped up reasonably well in the final couple of episodes.

JackBnimble and MikeInFla like this.
  15. RayS

I’m still not clear on why the clockmaker’s schism wouldn’t have created two continuums rather than three. Anybody?

16. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Probably just to serve the story in that it creates a world for Jonas and Martha, with his remaining as the source. I do think a lot of things got bolted on as the series progressed, eg the time widgets went from clockwork boxes to clockwork orbs, then suddenly that they can not only move forward and back 33 years (a good story device I thought) but could move not only anywhere in time but space also.

I didn't get what the 3 sons were about, I get they were a tool but didn't really understand why they were all together - and for that matter how they got into the plant so easy - given they materialized out by the bus stop.

And whilst I'm picking faults :) why on earth didn't Bartosz just call an Uber instead of riding to the plant with Martha on the back??? ;-)

unclefred and RayS like this.
  17. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Lol wondered the same thing and why none of the kids ever drove a car that I could recall. Overall really liked this show and thought the ending while bitter sweet somehow made sense. Still some questions but they did tie a lot up. Definitely helps to look at the family tree to keep track of who's who. On a technical note thought this looked great in 4k and the casting director did a fine job getting actors that could pass as the older versions of their younger selves in the various timelines. There are a lot of YouTube videos that delve in to various aspects of the show and attempt to explain things.

RayS likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The family chart makes sense while looking at it, but my wife and I had a devil of a time keeping track of who's who visually on screen! Still, I liked the show--quite a compelling story, though I could do without some of the pseudo-philosophical/existential dialogue and voice-overs--most were too clichéd for my taste.

19. RayS

And why try to free Ulrich from the mental hospital after he's rotted there for 33 years? Go back through the earlier portal and rescue him before he goes in, so he can come back to 2019 33 years younger, and not a borderline vegetable.

20. DigMyGroove

Far more poignant for Katherina to find him there, as well as her mother, especially considering how that aspect turned out.

JackBnimble likes this.
  21. RayS

Poignant, but dumb! :)

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I never did figure out who they were, but I guessed that they're all the same characters at different ages.

I agree with your spoiler comment about Ulrich, and I think it's a weakness in the story. We can assume with the final ending to the show, this problem won't exist anymore.

JackBnimble likes this.
  23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, Katherina only had the box device to travel with and via the cave (which means she can only go back 33 years to 1986 or 66 years to 1953, depending on which path she took).

Obviously she took the path to 1986 but I don't think many of the characters really knew how the cave and travelling via it actually worked.

DigMyGroove and JackBnimble like this.
  24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Finished it up on Friday and while enjoyable I felt season 3 dragged on a bit. Would've been nice to dig a little deeper in Adam. They somewhat explained the way he looked but it would have been cool to see it. And I think I have decided that Hannah is just not a good person at ANY age or in ANY timeline.

unclefred likes this.
  25. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I posted earlier but realised I’d misremembered a key point. Essentially, assuming Katharina knew how to work the time machine, it’s likely that she wanted to bring back the blameless Mikkel, leading to her becoming regarded as a nuisance by the police and Ines, back rather than her adulterous husband.

What confuses me is
    Why Noah and Helge went to the trouble of kidnapping the boys to conduct ‘experiments in time travel’ when they already gad access to a top end time machine.

vegafleet likes this.