New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I totally agree with this. This is a superb example of SHM-SACD. I put this in the top "Grade A" bracket of SHM-SACDs to date.

2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

So CDJapan tells me they haven't shipped Leon Russell to me because it was in an order for the now-delayed Supertramp 'Crime of the Century'. They advise cancelling my order for Crime and Leon ships. Now I know Crime may never see the light of day, but if I cancel, do I lose my place in the queue for it if I separately re-order it? Seeing how fast BIA sold out, I don't want to mess this up. Advice?

3. CDJapan's service is pretty good, they won't cancel the Leon from that order and allow Crime to remain? You could then simply order the Leon again.

4. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

If Crime will happen, you won't have any problem to reorder it. They NEVER sold out on preorders. The fact that Breakfast is not available anymore doesn't mean anything. It was available for a while.
    Just cancel it IMO.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Use the option to move items from one order to another, there will be an option to create a new order. Select "Send items separately".You will be hit twice for shipping of course. No loss of preorder for Crime.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  6. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

August new releases (Release date: August 27, 2014)

UIGY-9568 Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
    UIGY-9569 Free - Free

Both are 2014 remasters from "original analog tapes."

:wave:

art likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As much as I'm in a self imposed music buying ban there is no way I'll be passing on any Steely Dan SHM-SACDs :).

Bill

mrob0000 and masterbucket like this.
  8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I will be pre-ordering Pretzel Logic. :)

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

How was the sound quality on Aja and Gaucho received by forum members?

10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

The standard aluminum DCC of this albums is great as well!

11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Aja not so great. Gaucho got better reviews. Please note that both of these are from copy tapes, not original masters.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Gaucho sounds better than the original SACD. It is the best digital version of the stereo mix IMO.

Aja sounds good, but is... not essential if you have Steve's CD or a good LP pressing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  13. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

Just these two for August? Or more to be announced?

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Ok, so Pretzel will be the first Dan to be issued since the SHM folks began delivering proper mastering?

15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Countdown comes before Pretzel, but yes to your question.

jh901 likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I found the only way to get anything out of 'Aja' is to whack the sound really high...

17. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

Big thumbs up for Tears For Fears, in case anyone is still in doubt. This is an excellent SHM-SACD.

Beautiful, rich and detailed sound. This is the best version of this album, according to my humble ears.

Hope to see The Hurting and The Seeds Of Love getting similar releases someday.

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Did you have the opportunity to compare CD and SACD? Thanks :)

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Write them an email and ask to break up the existing order to keep COTC in queue but ship Leon Russell. They did that for me. They refunded the excess from my original order and sent me an invoice for the shipping involved for COTC. Slightly convoluted but there were no problems in the long run.

20. Hopefully the rest of the Steely Dan catalogue will follow. And perhaps the last two or three Sabbath titles from this series!

Jagger69 likes this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Listening to it as I type - really makes you notice how juiced-up the Deluxe Edition is...

D.D.

22. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Can't Buy a Thrill... now that would be a miracle. :eek:

Blue Cactus and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. I have the remastered redbook, SHM, Mofi and SHM-SACD. To my ears the Aja SHM-SACD is absolutely wonderful. It's the only version I play since it was released.

masterbucket likes this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have heard all of these and Steve's CD is still the best sounding, the SHM-SACD being second.

25. This has been announced, hasn't it?

I just wish they would put the pulled The Royal Scam back on the release schedule. Best Steely Dan LP in my opinion!