New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Oh wait, it's Countdown to Ecstasy that's on the schedule.

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

That and Pretzel Logic. I'm hoping they decide to complete the series.

Shvartze Shabbos and Mike McMann like this.
  3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Just got Beginnings and Zenyatta Shm sacd's in this morning from CDJapan.
    Picked up that out of print "Dylan" cd that used to cost a bundle on Blu Spec 2 before it disappears as well.
    Time to crank them up.

rstamberg likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Very interested to hear how 'Zenyatta' sounds. Mine is 'about to ship'.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Of that lot, I would agree that the SHM-SACD is the best of them, but the early MCA MCAD CDs pressed in Japan and the European MCDL and DMCL discs pressed in the U.K. by Nimbus are better in my opinion.

Plan9 likes this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My copies of Beginnings and Zenyatta Mondatta are waiting at home for me. They arrived this morning. :)

I was not aware of the Dylan Blu-Spec 2 CD. Thanks for the tip.

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'd like to hear some opinions of "Beginnings", especially the Idlewild South side.

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Please also let us know if Beginnings uses the original mix for the first album or the remix.

9. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the Carpenters SHM SACD, and what a wonderful experience...thanks a lot to everybody that chimed in recommending it (Claus, Espen R, and all the others).

10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Is Pretzel Logic coming out on SACD? I was on the CD Japan site and didn't see it.

11. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

ti-triodes likes this.
  12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Finally had a chance to compare the Rain Dogs SHM-SACD to my Island redbook. I like the Island a lot. It has a nice open sound, a little rough around the edges,just enough menace in the low end. Is the SACD an improvement? You could make the case. The differences are slight, but my impression is that they tightened up the soundstage a bit. Percussion is a splash more palpable. The overall sound is creamier and more coherent. This is a very enjoyable version of Rain Dogs and I am happy to have it.

But I dunno. The Island sounds just a bit more like 'Tom Waits', a scootch more grating, disconcerted and real.

Is the SHM-SACD worth $40 or $50, especially if you already have a copy? Of course not! The differences are minor and you well may prefer your original. Unless you're the kind of guy who would lie awake nights knowing there might be a better copy of Rain Dogs out there...

What a great freaking album

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thank you for your review. I was on the fence getting this, but since the SACD doesn't seem to be a big upgrade, I'll stay with the original CD, which sounds pretty good as it is.

15. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have not heard this.

But all other things equal, knowing what kind of resolution the original CD has, and what kind of resolution the SHM-SACD should have, there is no way I could be satisfied with CD. I hate that cut-off in decay, room ambience, less textures in sound and so on…

16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Good timing on your review, as I was about to pull the trigger on the SHM-SACD. Here's an instance in which the opportunity cost of the Japanese upgrade may not be worth it..... I'm tempted to feel regretful about that, but the original CD reissues of Waits' material were not bad at all. It doesn't surprise me that the CDs stack up pretty well.

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I just listened to Beginnings. Very good on the first round.... need some more playing.

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Original mix or remix for the first album?

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It said the same thing the last few times I checked my preorders? Let's keep our fingers crossed.

21. YSIA

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Good news. Now there is hope……

Please Universal, I need a good sounding digital version of "Even in the Q M", please do it! :)

Riccardo2 likes this.
  23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

No mention of Breakfast In America shm-sacd being reprinted.

24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Every member or this forum has got one. Who else would buy it?;)

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

So lately I've been doing a lot of listening sessions, and it occurs to me that most early SHM-SACD's were simply disappointing... some of them downright bad. The latest batch of Platinum discs is proof of that, with practically every one being an improvement. I really wish Universal Japan would release these new transfers on SACD, or at the very least offer them as digital downloads, seems like a no-brainer to me.