New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Rant:

i don't mind the comparison references [of any previous releases or various formats] at all on this thread.*
    However, once again, it seems this thread [II] is going off track from the specific format/packaging of the OP.
    "Come in little collectible boxes with mini-LPs inside... "
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-shm-sacds-last-word-on-packaging-sonics.335763/

We all know people here at SHMF luv CD's.
    We all know people here at SHMF luv Gold CD's.
    We all know people here at SHMF luv SHM-CD's.
    We all know people here at SHMF luv AP SA-CD's.
    We all know people here at SHMF luv ye olde SA-CD's.

Just try & relate all that too the subject at hand, please.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No need to, I was off today and had free time.

It took less time than that, it does not fade out and back in. The Mofi SACD does of course.
    Nice to have both mixes in HI-REZ.

PhantomStranger and RiRiIII like this.
  3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Many thanks.

4. eelkiller

No problem. Glad to help.

5. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the newly released Asia 'Alpha' and 'Astra' on SHM-SACD? Are they worth picking up?

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

What's your verdict on this disc, by the way?

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I have most of the SHM-SACDs. I deliberately didn't get the Stones Abkco stuff on SHM-SACD because what's the point when you have the 2003 versions? Likewise the Brothers In Arms disc.
    But other than that I have all the others bar the Jazz and classical stuff. Very few complaints on the series, apart from the new packaging. The new ones have the look and feel of box sets. For a single disc? o_O

8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

2014 SHM-SACD of Brothers In Arms is quite different since it has been flat transferred from UK LP analogue master of the album (with edited track lengths & LP equalization).

Jagger69, BIG ED and coffeecupman like this.
  9. Alpha is delightful. As is the first Asia LP released in this series. Astra is on order. Enjoying Asia more now then I did when these were first released three decades ago!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  10. eelkiller

Beginnings sounds very nice IMO, I have played it through twice. Worthwhile for ABB fans.

Lucidae and masterbucket like this.
  11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I just listened to Asia - Alpha. I can't recommend this one, it sounds dull to me.
    I compared it against the Japan Target CD which has much better dynamics.

12. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

Are you implying that more expensive gear always sounds better?

Claus likes this.
  13. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

Yes indeed. I own both, and I prefer the 2003 version despite its more compressed dynamic range. The original CD from the 1980s is also very good. My least favourite version of Brothers in Arms is the recent MFSL SACD.

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yes. Absolutes rule!

Honestly though, I hope my actual point came across. There is more to reproduced sound than the disc. The gear plays a huge role.

15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have listed to Astra and it's the same deal as Alpha. The original Geffen CD sounds better to me.

16. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I thought this album was a digital recording :confused:

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is, but transfered to tape for the original LP vinyl mastering.

18. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I see. So by introducing tape into the chain, is that understood to improve the sound?

19. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Legacy DAC too... ;)

20. I liked the 2003 SACD the best too and the SHM SACD a close second. Third would be the MoFi SACD. I know I'm in the minority here but I also liked the entire Warner Brothers SBM Dire Straits remastered series.

Jagger69 and Boris75 like this.
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup: I too have the same old CD's as you, and they're good enough for when I want to reminisce.

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have to agree, Purchase these if you are a die hard fan, the problem with Alpha is the recording, so the straight transfer I don't think really accomplished anything, btw I have the Platinum :cheers:

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, I think this needs to be emphasized. There is a reason they master recorded music. Flat may sound good, but could be better with proper mastering.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

No. But Bob Ludwig's mastering moves are locked into that analogue master. And those were some pretty great mastering moves.

Also, I have heard so many rumors about what is left of the digital masters that it makes my head spin. Some say the original work parts are gone, which were slightly higher rez than 16/44, or something. I'm not sure what PCM they recorded to in those days.

Anyway, the digital master is stuck at 16/44, and that won't change, because the original digital multis are gone.

Well, the analogue master was probably (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) made from the original multitracks, with Bob Ludwig's stellar mastering choices.

I took a chance on ordering this, and should get it in August (I also pre-ordered Steely Dan discs). Now that I hear it's from the analogue master I'm really glad I did.

ccm

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, Ludwig's analogue mastering is from the 44.1/16 stereo digital master.

SteelyTom and coffeecupman like this.