New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

yes magic is underwhelming...

so, another vote for signal and the noise. great song, with a classic touch but progressive overall.

it has the dark synths, good lyrics, and great guitar work on it. a winner overall.

looking forward to the rest of the album.

later

manicpopthrill and DTK like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

After a few listens I must say that The Signal and The Noise is the best SM track in years. Dark, moody, melodic but uplifting, just like their best material. Hope the rest of the album is along that line.
    No, I wouldn't mind deluxe editions of Real To Real, Empires and Sons either.

3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

DTK likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I need to check these new songs out still.

5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Magic is one that needs to grow on you. I pick up little colors the more I listen and it improves each time. "Signal"? Wow. Best song I've heard from them since........well.....OK, I really, really liked "Lightning" from Neapolis and there's some great tracks on Big Music but I might have to go way back to find something that's made the impact this track has. Did not expect this after seeing how they goofed with the dynamic. Track really feels like it has the feel from "Secrets" where they were reaching for something that they couldn't quite pull off. This has the same edge "Swimming Towards The Sun" has but just better in many ways. It's a modern classic IMO. Kudos gents, I can't remember being gobsmacked like this by a song in a long time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    godslonelyman, Dave 81828384 and DTK like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I agree, Signal is a stunning song and recording.

Havoc likes this.
  7. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Signal sounds awful on that radio transmission!
    Compressed!?

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I recorded the stream and it sounds fine in my earbuds.

9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yeah, that was their last great album. Not been too impressed with anything since to be honest.
    Still a good live band though and always buy a ticket if they're playing local.

sunking101 likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

For me Good News is a disaster, a bloated mess with three valid tunes, She's A River, Hypnotized and Great Leap Forward.
    I gave up on the band at that point l.
    I rate anything they've done over it. I think Kerr and Burchill agree actually :).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    The_Windmill and Dave 81828384 like this.
  11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Your probably right and I certainly lost interest after that album but continued to buy everything hoping for a return to form! They have not yet fulfilled my expectations but will obviously get this new CD as I never give up on my faviourite bands!

DTK likes this.
  12. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I rarely listen to anything between New Gold Dream and Neapolis. I'm a big fan of Cry and still listen to it every month or so. Might do so tonight. :)

DTK likes this.
  13. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I thought Neapolis was very worthwhile then the rest had enough to keep me interested but Big Music seemed to be that destination album JK speaks of. It had filler and was more of a collection of works than a proper album but it did the job. "Signal" came from a place I wasn't expecting, had to be some piece of music that they'd bopped around with some of those other musicians they work with recently that came together but............damn, did it ever come together.

DTK and Dave 81828384 like this.
  14. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Just in case it wasn't clear, I really like Neapolis. As I've said before, its the album that brought me back to the band after losing interest.

Havoc, DTK and Stuart S like this.
  15. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

As someone who loves SM
    i can't stand the video or the song magic

the vid looks like generic cgi crap. Some dude prancing around....yeck!

And musically the song sounds like something off a Katey Perry album!

Sorry guys...
    Very embarrasing

Dave 81828384 and Stuart S like this.
  16. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I didn't like it at first and don't care for the video at all, see how the song works for you after some close listens. I picked up a synth layer underneath that added an urgency and helped. It's very "iTunes" and a puzzling selection for a first single given the greatness lurking beneath in the album.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  17. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

"Magic" and "Signal and the Noise" are both outstanding. Can't wait for the album. Hoping this album will produce some good merch, too. I bought 2 different t-shirts about 4 years ago and both have been in storage because they were too small. I've finally lost enough weight in the past few months to wear them at last!

thxphotog, Havoc and DTK like this.
  18. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Kudos. I gained weight while recuperating from the broken body suffered at the end of my military career. I found therapy for the pain in Chinese buffets. I dropped 50 pounds simply by eating yogurt, cottage cheese and banana cream pie. I've kept the same weight for about 7 years and fit into all my size L shirts bought back during my high school concert going days. I'm looking forward to the merchandise as well, looks like they've put some thought into the physical product, I like the theme.....even if Mel and Andy are out of the pic. I've warmed up to things with Gordy (is there an instrument the bloke hasn't mastered?). My curiosity is peaked as to how they'll perform these tracks. "Signal" has a mean bassline in there, sounds very much acoustic with a treatment that might trick some, even I'm not completly positive although I've heard my own bass playing sound like that with the proper production. Stay supple Surly.

Surly likes this.
  19. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I really liked Neapolis, couldn't figure why it got panned the way it did and got caught up in the politics. I still play it often along with Secrets, trying to sort out what they were striving for. Now that I'm in Europe a new SM release has a different meaning, local record store has the poster up and I know a few people making the trip to see 'em.

20. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I think Magic is kind of ok, but not great, certainly not as good as the best tracks on Big Music, IMO. Hopefully it grows. Have yet to hear Signal, but the reviews here sound enticing.

21. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

They put it out on their Y \T channel.

shadow blaster and DTK like this.
  22. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

The one thing I did think while listening to "Magic" is how much more powerful it would have sounded with Mel on drums. Oh well. I'm not sure what happened - he was on The Hustle podcast a few months ago, and while he seemed disappointed about not being a part of the acoustic thing, he had indicated that he would be going back with them for the new album/tour. At least that's what I thought I heard.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Cry is very upbeat and unpretentious, exactly the right move at the time. The dirty little secret being that it's more of a Jim Kerr album than Simple Minds, with Charlie seemingly not that involved.

24. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Big music brought them Back.It was A Good album.
    Looking forward for the new one.

JeffMo, paradox55, Surly and 2 others like this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm not really bothered about the band taking this "Sly and the Family Stone" direction. Stodgy rock bands have no currency now. Yes, they could still back Derek Forbes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.