New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Fantastic show in LA last night. Jim appreciated that the crowd stood the entire time, and also cracked a lot of good notes. He commented near the end that Once Upon A Time was released this week back in '85, so the final 3 songs of the night were all from that album - "Once Upon A Time," "Alive & Kicking," and "Sanctify Yourself" (they performed "All The Things She Said" earlier in the night).

I miss Mel being there but Charisse did a wonderful job, and was also wonderful to look at! I agree with others who said the lack of synths is a disappointment, but I was still immensely pleased with the show. I waited 5 years for them to come back to LA and it was worth the wait.

2. Radical347

Radical347 Well-Known Member

Just saw Simple Minds for the 5th and final time of this tour and wow -- what an incredible experience. I almost never thought I'd get to see Simple Minds once in North America, let alone 5 times. They were in top form every. single. time. Was also interesting to see the different venues (with sound/light/staging variations) and different audiences.

Probably safe to discuss the set list now, since the original leg of the tour is done and there haven't been any comments about people waiting for the second leg:

Set 1:
    The Signal and the Noise
    Waterfront
    rotator (but usually Love Song)
    rotator
    Up on the Catwalk
    Sense of Discovery
    Promised You a Miracle
    The American
    Hunter and the Hunted
    rotator
    Dirty Old Town

Set 2:
    Theme for Great Cities
    She's a River
    Walk Between Worlds
    rotator (or empty)
    Someone Somewhere in Summertime
    See the Lights
    All the Things She Said
    Dolphins
    Don't You (Forget About Me)
    New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

Encore:
    rotator
    rotator (or empty)

Alive and Kicking
    Sanctify Yourself

Every set has gotten 23-25 songs. Looks like the same 19 in all sets and a couple rotators. Always 11 in the first one, 10-11 in the second one, and 3-4 in the encore.

Rotators include Love Song (most sets), I Travel, Celebrate, Let There Be Love, Stand by Love, Glittering Prize, Once Upon a Time, Hypnotised, Midnight Walking, Honest Town, Moscow Underground (only one appearance in DC & probably not likely to appear again), Book of Brilliant Things (Sarah on vocals), Let the Day Begin (Sarah on vocals), and the Cross (Prince cover -- both Sarah and Jim on vocals.) Mexico City also got Mandela Day.

Soundcheck has been 3 songs at every show. In addition to most of the rotators, other songs that have shown up include Big Music, Speed Your Love to Me, Summer, Barrowland Star.

If I missed any let me know. I'll also post if any new songs show up on the remaining dates. Interested to see if Stars Will Lead the Way appears, as they played that in Europe a few times this summer.

Vox78 likes this.
  3. Cycles2

Cycles2 Forum Resident

Saw Simple Minds in Miami last week. 1st time live but I've been listening to them for 30 years. Terrific show. I'm sorry Mel Gaynor wasn't with them but Cherisse did a fine job. In a tribute to Mel, she played the iconic drum fill from 'Don't You Forget About Me'.

I wish the guy who was mixing the sound would learn that when you turn up the PA volume too loud it turns out to be a wall of distorted noise and you don't hear Charlie's legendary steely guitar melodies. He had the perfect PA volume on 'See the Lights' only to go into volume overdrive mode for 'She's A River' and Charlie's brilliant guitar work was all but lost.

My wife commented that they reminded her of U2. I replied that U2 reminds me of Simple Minds, but U2 never had the soul, funk and musicians that Simple Minds had in their heyday.

JeffMo, DTK and godslonelyman like this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I picked up Catherine's album (as The Anchoress) and it's great really. I enjoyed it more than Walk Between Worlds. She's one talented lady.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:-popcorn:
    hey, my iPod and iPhone are insulted by this remark!!

are you really a SM fan? :agree:

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Saw on FB that this album came out 2 years ago today.

wow!

7. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Wow indeed, doesn’t feel like two years.

I liked it when it came out and i still do, play it quite frequently and also enjoy the live versions that are on ‘live in the city of Angels’.

It’s probably my favourite album of theirs since ‘Once Upon A Time’ which is where I got off the train first time around.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Well I did see three different tours in Montreal before the Breakfast Club was released. :laugh:

JeffMo likes this.
  9. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  10. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

wow, was not expecting the 2 signed pictures along with the magic single:

[​IMG]
    very cool

later

SJP and wallpaperman like this.
Thread Status: