New SONY SACD Player-$149

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taxman, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member Thread Starter

I may finally get mine at this price. This appeared on Twice.com today:

Sony Expands SACD Selection, Upgrades Systems, Receivers

2/26/2004 1:18:00 PM
    East Rutherford, N.J. — Home audio had its ups and downs here during Sony’s East Coast line show, where the company upsized its selection of SACD players and ATRAC3plus CD Walkman portables but downsized its selection of two-channel shelf systems.

The company also:

returned to the SACD-only changer market with two models, one billed as the market’s most affordable SACD changer at an expected everyday price as low as $149.
    launched its first home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB) system with DVD-recorder.
    added HDMI output for the first time to a DVD player, which also plays SACDs.
    added Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES 6.1-channel decoding for the first time to home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB) systems in the Dream Systems series and HTS series.
    added such features as component-video upconversion and 7.1-channel upconversion to its mainstream HiFi receiver series for the first time.
    The company didn’t outline a roadmap for home HD Radio or home satellite radio, nor did it announce plans to re-enter the home hard-disc-drive jukebox business, having dropped a single on-wall hard-disc-equipped audio system.

Here’s what marketing executives revealed in select product categories:

SACD: The company expanded its selection of combination SACD/DVD-Video players and changers to six SKUs from two in the premium ES audio series, the mainstream HiFi audio series, and the mainstream video series.

Four new models are combination SACD/DVD-Video players and changers, and two are SACD-only changers. The SACD-only changers mark the company’s return to SACD-only changers and increase Sony’s SACD-only selection to three models from one.

Sony targets the SACD-only changers to consumers who own a DVD-Video player and want to replace their CD changer, said senior corporate marketing VP Mark Viken. The two models are the HiFi series SCD-CE595, expected to retail as low as $149, and the $399 SCDC-2000ES in the ES series. Viken called the $149 model the 'most affordable SACD changer on the market.'

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Great news! I'm glad to see both ES and non-ES audio-only SACD changers. Hopefully these models will be the bargains that passed Sony SACD changers were.

3. KeithH

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I posted on this over at Home Theater Forum today. This is good news to see some additional hardware support from Sony.

Also, note that Samsung has just introduced 2 new SACD players. :)

5. KeithH

Great news! Collect 'em all! I just might! :D

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Uh, they're Universal players.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's even better news. In fact, perhaps it is time for Sony & Philips to go universal. I think that would help with the retailers-easier sell.

8. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Yamaha also announced a $400.00 universal player to be introduced in April 2004.

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Do those Samsung universal players have DVI and/or HDMI outputs? If they do, I'm interested. I'm already looking to replace my Pioneer 563a with a player that has DVI outputs because I will shortly be getting an HDTV and want to make full use of it's capabilities. I'm not so much concerned about the SACD playback as I have the 555ES for that, but as long as it can play DVD-A's well and can output 96/24 through the digital outs, I'd be pleased.

10. GabeG

GabeG New Member

...and Panasonic (and whoever else) should also go universal too. It's probably so cheap to do and can "put an end to this destructive conflict" as Darth Vader once said.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

IMHO it should be a no-brainer. It certainly would take away any format confusion and help both formats in the process.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm also waiting for an affordable good Universal Player with DVI. Hope my luck changes by the end of the year.

The only player I covet at this point is the very expensive Denon 5900 ($2K) and even this player is hard to find at retail.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The recent record company situation may have helped this turn of events.

This looks good for SACD.

14. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The new top end Sony has HDMI outputs (carries digital and digital audio including DSD/SACD). All you need is a Sony receiver that decodes SACD and switches digital video (and lots of money). By next year this stuff will be very common.

Richard.

15. JohnG

Yep. thats what I imagine will happen. It will be nice to cut down on all the players and wiring that I currently have behind my HT.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

HDMI and DVI are another version of the format war I'm afraid.

Why can't there be better coordination of standards like this in consumer electronics.

Shoot, the customer is already confused enough....

17. GoldenBoy

Yes, but at least DVI and HDMI are fully compatible with each other simply through the use of a relatively inexpensive adapter.

18. GoldenBoy

Where can I find information on that that SCD-C2000ES ? I'm having problems with my C555ES (currently in the hands of Sony for the past two months and in process to be 'exchanged' for the past three weeks) and I would like to see if it is comparable to the 555ES. The price is definitely way below what my 555ES was, but so is the new 555ES DVD/SACD changer. When I checked on the new 555ES DVP, I didn't think the features were comparable to mine, though the DACs may well be superior. I don't like the idea of not being able to turn off the video circuitry or the front-panel display and the absence of CD-Text display.

19. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

I know the question is rhetorical, but usually the problem is greed for patent money. He who owns the patents for the standard gets free money from mandatory licensing for many years.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have the CE595....the $150 SACD/CD changer now available at Best Buy.

OK, breaking in the player with the stereo hybrid of Spandau Ballet's "True".

Damn! This disc sounds excellent in SACD!! Even though the CD layer sounded wonderful to me, the SACD layer takes in up to another level.

[​IMG]

Let me try another disc and report back....

Update: Just tried, in 2 channel mode, my imported multi-channel hybrid SACD of Dave Brubeck's "Time Out". The CD layer is actually encoded in HDCD, verified with my computer's Microsoft Media Player, but unmarked on the disc or the packaging....the CE595 is very good with this layer. Despite not able to decode the HDCD info, it's certainly better than any $150.00 dedicated CD player I've heard. Like the Spandau Ballet SACD, the SACD layer performance takes the sound quality up a notch. The music sounded more real, the impact of the drums that much more dynamic, and the piano is just so....there. It's amazing this recording is 50 years old.

[​IMG]

Remember, this is just my opinion. The playback is thru the headphone out of a receiver, using Audioquest's almost bottom-of-the-line interconnects, and a pair of $70.00 headphones. I am satisfied with this player after about 2 days of breaking in. If it gets better with more time, then this should one heck of an audio bargain.

If your Best Buy has the unit in stock, try it. You have 30 days to return it.

21. JohnG

I posted last on 02-28-04 and my wish should come true this Fall as Denon will release affordable universal players for around $500.

22. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I'm glad they're putting out an affordable SACD player but I wish it weren't a changer. I've had problems with those and would rather have a single disc player.

23. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I think it's great that Sony is putting out some new SACD players. That said, what are they doing for the software end for these players? Another words, where's the beef? Their selection for SACD titles, seems to be dwindling.

Sorry, if this is a thread crap! :D

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I saw this one at Best Buy. Looks good for $149. Probably a bit better build quality than the CE775.

I too would rather have a single-disc version. The Pioneer DV-578A looks to be an attractive option for the same price, even though I'd prefer a Sony.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There is a big gulf between Sony and Sony Music. It should not be that way, even in a giant conglomerate; but I think it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.