New SONY SACD Player-$149

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taxman, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtail

bigtail Senior Member

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the discontinued Sony DVP-NC 685V player and the latest version Sony DVP-NC 875V, besides price?

Thanks,
    Randy...

2. mpstuff

mpstuff Forum Resident

RickHunter,

Check out Abt Electronics in Glenview. I picked up the NC875V/B several months ago for $120. So far, I've been pleased with its performance. Video quality and SACD playback are good. (Although, I don't have anything else to compare the SACD playback with.)

My only complaint is that the player is very slow to recognize discs and exchanging them. For $120, I am dealing with it.

Mike

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

4. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Nice review - thanks for posting it. It sounds like this would be a great player for a second system although I'd still love to get one that also could do DVD-A.

5. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

UPDATE on SACD CE-595

For those owning or contemplating buying this player, I thought I'd share this. This weekend, I brought home a pair of Harmonic Tech Truth Link Silvers to try out on a friend's Rega Planet 2000 I had borrowed. After a night of liking the match with the Rega, but not hearing anything that blew me away, I decided to try something that for some reason had never entered my mind. I tried the truth link silvers with the SACD CE-595. I popped in a few jazz SACD titles that I knew really well and I must admit--I WAS blown away. Incredible warmth, bottom end, separation, and non-fatiguing detail that I had never heard before. The difference was much more subtle with redbook cds-- probably not worth posting about. Is it crazy to spend twice the cost of a component on cables? Any thoughts?

6. peter

peter Senior Member

Not crazy at all. It IS what it IS.

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

If I may ask, what kind of cabling were you initially using on the CE-595?

8. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

I have the CE-595 in my bedroom system and it is most certainly the best CD/SACD player I've heard under $200. I love the way this player sounds coupled with an inexpensive Pioneer receiver in the bedroom. Just a killer little system for chump change.

I have the XA777ES in the big rig and had the 333ES SACD changer until recently in the bedroom. I sold the 333ES and picked up the CE-595 and I don't miss the 333ES one bit. I love this little player :thumbsup:

9. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Indeed a very good question. I'm almost embarassed to say that I had never replaced the stock cables that came with the unit. It may very well be that $50 or $100 cables would yield nearly as much improvement as the $300 ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.