New speakers, which ones to consider?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kraan, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I have the little brother amplifier, 2010s2D with kef R and it's fantastic. Neutral sound, fast and dynamic ... not bassy, not over detailed.

I don't know if that can be extrapolated to 3010s2D and kef reference ...

timind likes this.
  2. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Well that's how we did it back in the 1960s and 1970s when I was a mastering engineer for Motown and ABC Records, among others. If things have changed or you disagree, you can state your opinion without being such a disagreeable ass.

If "your own room" sounds that different from the "dealer demo room", then your room needs some seriously tuning or damping treatment, or you need a new room.

I have been listening to the same pair of Altec 604e's since 1977, and I have had them in any number of rooms since that time. They sounded great in every one. And btw, I would never buy L82's in a million years nor any other thin sounding, tinny JBL product like the ones that we had a choice of listening to in many of the studios I worked in.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Your profile picture sums you up mate, a complete .....

4. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

The whole point of my avatar. The vast majority of comments on this forum, including yours, come from there.

bever70 likes this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Would you two stop arguing?

It’s a week from Election Day, and you’re distracting me from all the political arguing!! :realmad:

Tim Irvine, Twodawgzz and bever70 like this.
  6. Jens

Jens Forum Resident

How about Audiovector or Monitor Audio?

7. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

i have had monitor audio speakers and they're very good ... but as always, throwing brands over the table it's not a solution.

we need to know what we're searching for, the sound we want, and then fixing some parameters, the brand names rollercoaster can be cleared.
    source / acoustics have a great impact on the sound results, so you need to buy speakers that matches that aspects and personal taste.

kef signature goes very well in my case, i like a transparent, detailed and dynamic sound ... not that "musical" / "warmth" or other adjectives that many times i see as "dark / dull" sound or maybe as the classic "V equalizer" sound.

each one ... a different listening way.

8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’d buy the JBL’s over a room full of free Altecs any day.

DavidR likes this.
  9. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

When at a dealer only listen nearfield and freestanding, everything else makes no sense.
    And stay clear of these tiny bass drivers. A bass driver had minimum 10 inch, 12 or mor is better.
    This is an absolute statement :p size matters

10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

OP has wandered off?...

11. Kraan

Kraan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha, no still here! (Need to work during the week, so no time to check the forums)

But read some interesting things here - so will definitely take all the advice into account when auditioning and investigating what I'm going to 'settle' for

bever70 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.