New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

As long as you insert "Somewhere North of Nashville" between Sundown and Moonlight Motel.

2. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

So you’re having the album’s lead character die on the fourth song, instead of at the end?

A new resurrection record.

peopleareleaving and NunoBento like this.
  3. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I mentioned this before, but I think as listeners we're benefitting from knowing about some of the issues that Bruce dealt with, including depression and his mother's health. I think much of that, or at least a lot of the details, came out through the autobiography and Broadway show. So if this album had come out instead of Wrecking Ball in 2012 or so, it'll still be that great music, but we wouldn't have that extra insight into the songs.

I'm so glad to have this album.

4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I get your point, but I would rather have had these songs in 2012 instead of Wrecking Ball.

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Can someone explain to me how you see the last 'shot' as a gunshot and not a shot literally poured out in honor of memories gone by at the motel?

I don't 'hear' a lot of things and this may be one of them. But I just looked at the lyrics again and I don't 'see' a gunshot suicide. To me, the image of a guy by himself at night remembering days gone by fits a lot of the albums themes of looking back at things gone by.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  6. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

I think Chasin’ Wild Horses has become my favorite track on the album.

7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Hahaha exactly. Moonlight Motel must be the last track in every possible iteration. You cannot have much of a story after the murder-suicide of the hero!

The MEZ likes this.
  8. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

I think this is my favorite album in his entire catalog (and I've got them all, like most of us). What a great piece of work. I would like to see a timeline of when each of these was recorded - his vocals are incredible on this record.

9. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

My reading of MM is actually a murder-suicide. He had company, didn't he?

10. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Not saying the narrator definitely commits suicide, but the song is open to that interpretation if you want to see it there, and that makes it a great piece of art.

An older man ("And the wind blew through the window and blew off the covers Of my lonely bed"), all alone at the end of his life is driven back to the once deserted, now haunted Motel, where he remembers his happiest moments with his long gone lover, his one true love. There is nothing left for him in the here & now present, all his happiness lives is in the past.

Everything about this song works as a haunted ghost story to me. The deserted Motel could might as well be a graveyard calling him back to this ritual that has been performed before, the raising and pouring of a toast for a long forgotten love.

But this time the ritual is perhaps different. Its this line, after he pours the two drinks "Then it was one more shot poured out onto the parking lot To the Moonlight Motel"

The line just hangs there, and the word "shot" stands out so starkly, the only time it's used.

11. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I agree with everything you've said. This song could be a movie.

The MEZ, RSteven and Hawkman like this.
  12. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

There was no one else in the car with him. One shot for him. One for his beloved ex. And then one more to the sky.

I know what I make of it. The album is a masterpiece, by the way.

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Interesting. Thanks, guys. I still don't 'hear' suicide. Just a lonely guy remembering the past good times. A wistful, lonely moment.

However, I can see how the last line could be interpreted as a 'gunshot' if one wants to hear it that way.

Truly a great album. Truly a great song that can hold at least two interpretations at the end and be valid either way. Like a musical Rorschach.

Such great art.

14. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Or a Mavericks song......

The MEZ, Paul Mazz and RSteven like this.
  15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Or a Dwight Yoakam song.....

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

There are so many small yet fantastic songwriting touches in this album. One that I've been keen on lately is in Moonlight Motel. After the line "I pulled in and stopped into my old spot", I always expect the verse to keep going. But there's that pause in the lyrics, with the instruments setting the scene for that perfect last verse. Wow.

17. Henry Spencer

Henry Spencer Forum Resident

Just finished listening to this. Anyone else experience pops and clicks on record 2 of the vinyl version. Sending back to Amazon for a replacement.
    Anyone else experience this, if so i will cancel the replacement and just order the CD. Could be a defective batch.

18. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I'm hearing lyric lines and little pieces of melody rolling around in my head throughout the day. It's an album that got under my skin, which hasn't happened to me in ages.

19. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

I agree. The main melody for Tuscon Train has been stuck in my head basically ever since that song was released weeks ago.

alan967tiger, The MEZ and RSteven like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have been playing this CD almost everyday and it is emerging as one of my favorite albums of all time. Stones just blows me away every time I hear it. Chasin' Wild Horses and Sundown are both outstanding. Tucson Train could have been a huge country-pop hit back in the day when country radio actually played great songs with great melodies. There Goes My Miracle and Hello Sunshine could have been huge radio hits back in those days too. I coming at this as a very casual Bruce fan, who only had one album of his in my entire record collection, and that was his Greatest Hits. I am looking for recomendations for what is the next album of his that I should try to get my hands on, knowing how much I love Western Stars.

21. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Any definitive answer on where the photo shoot for the album/promotion took place? It looks like my neighborhood.

22. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I COULD NOT get "Hitch Hikin'" out my head today. Walked to the market with my wife this morning, singing it to quietly to myself the whole way.

23. Tunnel Of Love maybe.
    That being said Western Stars is a glorious outlier in Bruce’s career.A masterpiece I had long given up hope he would ever create again.

24. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I hear one very slight tick on "Chasing Wildhorses." Otherwise a quiet and pleasant pressing. Got the black vinyl from Amazon.

DavidD likes this.
  25. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

It’s just great folks!

DavidD, RSteven and The MEZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.