New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

The Born to Run deep dive box was released in 2005. Five years later, they released the Darkness deep dive box. Five years after that, The River deep dive box was released. So if the historical pattern holds, the Born in the USA box will be released next year. As for Tracks 2, that really can come at any time but I would not expect it the same year as the Born in the USA box.

2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Western Stars film “soundtrack”?

There is no shortage of ways to spend money on official Springsteen merchandise these days, that’s for sure.

DavidD and JoeF. like this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

As long as it's music, it's legit as far as I'm concerned. Bandanas, pins, coasters and what-not are a different story.

NunoBento, windfall and RSteven like this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Soundtrack is coming in

1cd
    2cd (including original album)
    2LP (later release date than October)

RSteven likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wake when they get to the WS and Broadway Blu-rays, even if the latter is a single view split up 2-3 sittings for me.

6. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

The Who have mounted a full U.S. tour of orchestral performances (after Roger Daltrey did a similar orchestral Tommy mini-tour last year). So, it's possible. I'm in a major market (Houston). So, he would likely play here. I would pay good money to see a Western Stars orchestral tour.

Davido and RSteven like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

I don't know what to expect with this movie? The songs are performed live in how many takes? Is it a concert video? Is it a movie? WTH is it :)

DavidD and RSteven like this.
  8. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Robert Christgau just reviewed, just FYI, not much here:

Bruce Springsteen: Western Stars (Columbia) “America used to be better” is a political message of some potential use, but how many of his faithful will blame it on the rich and how many on the young? (“Tucson Train,” “Moonlight Motel”) *

Consumer Guide: September, 2019

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

There is a fair amount of crooning on WOAD, but the quality of the songwriting was a mixed bag. If you haven't heard it, stream before you buy.

10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Another
    Wow, insightful. Christgau's publisher obviously isn't paying him by the word.

Paul J and Mike M like this.
  11. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Just what the hell is that suppose too mean? Another useless review, and a long run of them by Christgau imo.

daveidmarx, dee, brownie61 and 5 others like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's been done a few times, not taking into account years-later anniversary performances of LP's later released as live albums/videos. Depeche Mode (Songs Of Faith and Devotion), IQ (Subterranea), the Black Crowes (Warpaint), Marillion (Brave on the Made Again double live album) and, uh...I'm not making this up, Bon Jovi twice (Lost Highway and This House Is Not For Sale).

mark ab likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Early on, a handful of fans suggested that Springsteen should play this material in theaters with an orchestra. Clearly it can be done. But what about the rest of the show? Does he focus mostly on this album and a select few tracks from other projects like Tom Joad and D&D arranged with the orchestra, or does he do what Rod Stewart did in the early 2000’s when he toured his initial Songbook albums where he played a normal arena rock set, had a short intermission, and then came out in a tuxedo and played with a live orchestra (Springsteen could come out in his Southwestern garb and present material from this album)?

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi and RSteven like this.
  14. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

If Bruce were to do a partial concert with orchestra accompaniment as you described Rod Stewart did, I think, in order to do the vocals justice, due to age, etc., would reverse the order.

Or like he did with the album shows in ‘09, and The River tour in ‘16, open with a few songs, and then do the album.

I do like the costume change idea.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

That would be a lot of extra overhead to take on. By today's standards, he's kept his ticket pricing rather reasonable, excluding Broadway as a completely different animal.

16. PacificOceanBlue

The costume idea was a bit tongue in cheek, but it could work thematically. I would imagine his vocals would need some assistance to pull off a performance of the album tracks in a live setting.

RSteven and DavidD like this.
  17. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Clearly the Christgau Artificial Intelligence software needs work.

daveidmarx, DavidD and dee like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

Not necessarily. Artists often bring in local orchestra players from market to market at union wages.

RSteven likes this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

"You can 'blame' it all on me Terry, it don't matter to me now, when the 'breakdown' hit at midnight there was 'nothing left to say'..."

20. dee

dee Senior Member

Western Stars shines mellow and swells deep. LOL.

After a second time listening to it from start to end, I heard stars :);)

A glower and a keepler.

I'll stop now.
    4.5 out of 5 stars...

21. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

it is a little strange that the extra track on the soundtrack that will have Springsteen fans interested to hear is Rhinestone Cowboy -- which my guess is was the source of jokes by his fanbase during that songs heyday... It seems in this era of permanent present and permanent nostalgia that anything will end up being reevaluated and re-appreciated... tastes change, mellow, etc. I know I dismissed a lot of music in my teens and twenties as not being punk enough, hardcore enough only to reevaluate and give it another go....

22. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I think the digitization of music, with streaming, helped democratize the music, or it did at least for me.

With turning everything music into individual files, and being able to shuffle then in any way, helped me appreciate music I would have derided in the past.

Suddenly an Abba or Carpenters, or whatever song will shuffle on, something I would have never actually bought at a store, carried home, pulled out of an album sleeve, and put on a turntable to play, will make me say "hey that's not so bad".

FingerPickin'Triumph likes this.
  23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

So the soundtrack available on its own, or packed as 2 x CD with the original album!!

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I love shuffle mode. I rarely drive more than 15-20 minutes at a time, so that's what I do in my car 99% of the time, and it's great. Lots of stuff I've added to my library but probably wouldn't ever actively put on, like a Moody Blues Moraz-era deep cut or a random Erasure remix, and it's always a nice surprise.

If I'm not compelled towards any specific band or album when I sit down to work, I'll just shuffle my Apple Music library until something clicks, could be the 3rd song, could be the 30th, but it's fun going from Coltrane to Opeth to INXS, and it all sounds great. The kind of thing we would've never been able to do before the digital age.

25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Ironically, Springsteen was one of the artists I didn't like in high school or college. I was put off by the glossy sound of the BITUSA tracks and thought, "Oh, just another Big 80's cheeseball."

And the "Glory Days" video, with Little Steven mugging for the camera didn't help. Nor did the video for "Dancing In the Dark" (or the hilarious Adam Sandler SNL parody). In fact, the very name "Bruce Springsteen" would actively irritate me. I derisively called him "poor man's Dylan."

Then, one day in a pawn shop, I found all of his CD's for a dollar apiece, up through Human Touch / Lucky Town. So, I thought, "Eh, I'll give this guy one last try. I mean, I do kind of like that 'Rosalita' song. And 'Born to Run' is pretty good, too. What the Hell. I'll buy that for a dollar."

Boy, do I feel like an idiot now. And a pompous jackass to boot. Springsteen has joined the ranks of my favorite artists. So, it's never too late to reevaluate music, and change your opinions. I'm certainly glad I did in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.