New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

'Cause we bad, we nationwide.
    Yeah we bad, we nationwide.

Davido likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm not a die-hard fan but I'm intrigued by the idea behind this album. Unlike a lot of his other later releases I think I'll get this pretty soon after it comes out.

DavidD likes this.
  3. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I like it. Not surprised because I find the songs mentioned here (“Good Time Charlie”, “Witchita Lineman”, “Everybody’s Talkin’”) to be very evocative/emotional and are among my favorites. My only criticism would be that the strings are a bit heavy given the sentiment and the rest of the arrangement, which is restrained and tasteful. But hell, it was only one listen and I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  4. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

At a first listen it's generic, aimless and very dull. I say that as a big Springsteen fan.

Purple, btltez, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Absolutely zero outrage surrounding Nebraska almost universal praise in an artistic sense the fact it followed a hugely populist record is an oddity in itself but not much really to do with a genuine critique of the record.

Tunnel has always been more problematic-loved by a section of his hardcore audience, not so much by another section and was a record that took time to digest. How well the production has aged is up for debate and it remains something of a contentious record.

8. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Admittedly, it took a little while for me to appreciate Nebraska when it came out. Have loved it ever since.

Tunnel was a brilliant concept, but I was never able to warm up to its sound or production.

Keeping an open mind with this one, still 12 more songs to come..

budwhite likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bruce's Secret Garden has a similar drum part to those 2 songs.

10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the thing has definitively grown on me, better than anything in the last 3-4 albums for sure. but like someone said its one song, and the single at that.
    however the hardcore, the ones who are always in the area in the front of stage at his shows, despite their protestations, will never truly warm up to this sort of music.

11. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Back in the day ...like in 2004 ...you would have been pounded for saying that on SPL.

12. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i heard that "hello sunshine" track just today and was woefully unimpressed. there was a fawning companion article on NPR that suggested that this was some "new musical direction" for him. i said "huh, what"?

but my not being at all "impressed" is consistent with my feeling about the vast majority of his musical output since day one.

i did like "pink cadillac" though.

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I really love this song.

DavidD, RSteven, Peachy and 2 others like this.
  14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The first line "Had enough of heartbreak and pain saved a sweet spot for the rain"
    is no doubt the keynote for the album. There will be less heartbreak and pain and
    more from the sweet spot. I look forward to it.

Springsteen's been having creativity issues for a long time. He's been blocked and
    frustrated in the act of creation, so he turns to memoir. I hope he recovers a muse
    in this new approach.

I also hope he tours. I plan to see him this year if he tours. He's an old man but
    so am I. It's okay for an old man to make an old man's music. You can't pretend
    to be a twenty-something forever. The mind changes. It's not up to you. It's all
    in the mileage.

max4334, DavidD, grx8 and 6 others like this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah, how rare is that nowadays - an actual fadeout!

16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm not complaining--just interested in the process.

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You're right--but this is a discussion forum made up of mostly serious and passionate and opinionated--music fans. You can't expect it to be all happy happy joy joy all the time. And as Clint Eastwood once said of opinions, "Everybody got one....."

How much fun would it be if we all agreed on everything?

budwhite and davers like this.
  18. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Let’s face it, Bruce Springsteen could make a recording of his digestive sounds and Rolling Stone, NPR, and the New York Times would all give it 5 stars. He’s their man. It’s sacreligious for them to say otherwise.

The consensus here seems to be that this is a good song. So far so good. Really, I think many people are just relieved that it isn’t another Outlaw Pete.

DavidD, J_D__, JoeF. and 4 others like this.
  19. Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris Hipster Doofus

I love this song! The understated lyrical theme of the joy of finding someone to stick around with when the pleasures of a restless life have palled is really gorgeous, and Springsteen's control of his phrasing is delightful.

dee, graveyardboots, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  20. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

I love everything about this track. Already pre-ordered the vinyl. Can't wait to hear the entire album.

DavidD, grx8 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  21. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

He hasn’t had a thematically cohesive complete album in years. Hopefully this is the one.

DavidD and Purple like this.
  22. rkt88

yes, he is a sacred cow. that i ( clearly ) never particularly liked.

i have always wondered quizzically at the notion that john hammond had anything to do with BS. but.. hey.

i think the song is highly unremarkable. but i've said as much, and this thread is presumably for fans of his. so i'm "done". thanks for the thoughtful reply.

23. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I think it’s pleasant, but agree that it’s somewhat unremarkable. Maybe that’s the point? My understanding is that he wanted to make an easy listening pop album. I’m expecting this album to be more “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” and less “Roulette”.

OptimisticGoat and rkt88 like this.
  24. rkt88

i would imagine my family in jersey appreciate it, and him, more than i do ;)

but a "new musical direction"? i have to draw a line lol. ( so much for being "done" eh. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.