New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Nobody is under the assumption that John Wayne was a cowboy anymore than Mark Hamill is a Jedi. The extremely obvious incorrect assertion was that he couldn't ride a horse.

RSteven, DavidD and budwhite like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I have as much knowledge of the 2019 record industry as I do about quantum physics. But why the long time lapse between the release of the single and the album? Why not just put it out now?

3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It's all about building anticipation. They will have some marketing wiz who will have a graph showing increase in units shipped depending on the structure of the marketing campaign etc. Create a buzz, release a tempting song or two, get the pre-orders in, lengthen the discussion threads on SHF...

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I've asked this same question about other releases. Chrissie Hynde released two songs from her new album that comes out in SEPTEMBER.

If I had to guess I'd say that all these management companies are still clinging to remnants of the old system where print interviews and promotional appearances still have any meaning and they need to be coordinated. None of these things matter at all anymore.

5. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah, I suppose with streaming it doesn’t matter anymore.

6. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

With record sales declining seems like other than unrelenting promotion, tv, interviews, gimmicks (surprise gigs, viral videos) little is known about how to get the music sold. My guess is that Springsteen will do some of the usual stuff (late night interview week the record comes out, release one more "single") he is not or will not be up for memes, viral content, whatnot that seem to generate twitter trends, etc.

Maybe he'd do another spoof with Jimmy Fallon.

krock2009 and Dr. Zoom like this.
  7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Maybe they can feature the song in a cowboy movie.

I saw Jimmy on TV the other night for the first time in a while. Guy needs to cut down on the caffeine.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Shakin' the bush, Boss

Ernest T likes this.
  9. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Or booze. Or blow. That giggle of his is annoying as f***.

10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah, I used to really enjoy him, Whip My Hair with Bruce was truly hilarious. But lately he has become positively manic. And more than a bit obsequious.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. FingerPickin'Triumph

Jimmy Fallon seems very forced and fake. He really over does the "laughing at guests jokes bit". I'm not a fan of all the games either... prefer Colbert. Either way Springsteen gives an awkward "I don't really like doing this" interview.

12. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

There goes my miracle is going to be released soon.

Davido likes this.
  13. FingerPickin'Triumph

someone at BTX posted claiming the 24th for release... of There goes my Miracle... haven't seen anything since about it.

14. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Preordered the midnight blue and white speckled vinyl on the website.

35.99 and 9.99 shipping(crazy right?). Throw in some tax, I was all in for a 50 dollar bill.

Leap of faith to say the least.

15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

To be honest, someone like Springsteen has a different demographic than someone like Post Malone. His fans are used to anticipation and buying physical copies and waiting, whereas with a lot of younger stars more dependent on having chart hits (given the Boss is about to turn 70, it ain't happening), they need to strike and reach maximum potential. I don't think a "surprise" internet release would help him as much as it does younger stars. The Fleetwood Mac 2013 EP comes to mind as a perfect example, that release was essentially stillborn as FM is an act who still draws heavily on physical media and the sort, and a digital only release was barking up the wrong tree.

16. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Good point, that's the very reason I've yet to hear the FM EP from several years ago, and I was aware of it at the time from internet forums and wanted to hear it. Ah well.

17. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Nice boots. :cool:[/QUOTE]

remember that movie, Urban Cowboy.

18. FingerPickin'Triumph

Tomorrow we are already getting the next single - There Goes My Miracle --- source - Springsteen twitter. Apparently it is already up in New Zealand on youtube...

The MEZ and mark ab like this.

19. :laugh:

20. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

There Goes My Miracle

streetlegal, Turbo2k, DavidD and 3 others like this.
  21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Pleasant, kind of cluttered, but gonna need to hear that one in it's full context. Not a no.

RSteven likes this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

sounds like a re write of Hello Sunshine. Maybe the strings are a bit over the top and drum track
    not as good as HS doesnt do it for me.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Jimmy B. and DavidD like this.
  23. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Interesting vocalizing on both of the tracks. So far I'm liking the vibe.

RSteven and The MEZ like this.
  24. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Gotta give it more time. Not sure this stuff is my cup of tea.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I like the atmospheric backdrop. His vocal execution is interesting, likely receiving some "help" from engineering techniques. At first glance, I think I prefer this one over Hello Sunshine.

krock2009, Dbstay and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.