New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a veritable positive oasis compared to BTX which is both dominated by trolls and negativity. It is interesting how negative diehards get.. it also makes me think that artists just are not ever going to satisfy constant scrutiny like what happens on msg boards...

2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Some people need to lighten up

3. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Good to hear you're in for the long haul.
    Although, part of my comments were wondering if you're enjoying the ride.
    It doesn't seem like you are.
    Thanks for clarifying that you never cared, one way or the other and that Bruce was never a hero. But, you put cared and my hero in quotes, like I said something about heroes or caring, I didn't.
    And no musical heroes. Well that's kind of a shame. Lots of musicians have done or taken heroic action.

Record Rotator and Efus like this.
  4. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I've always considered BTX to be dominated by sycophants. The discussion is generally more discriminating around here.

5. Efus

Efus Senior Member

You do realize this isnt a Springsteen message board, right?

Truthfully, I don't see much humor in what happens in just about every Springsteen thread on this Forum.
    What I see is a small number of middle age guys trying to hard to impress each other, saying the same sh#t over and over,
    and aren't entirely aware of how that comes off.

And to just about nobodys surprise, its everybody elses fault, its not that bad, and everybody else needs to lighten up.

6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

im not on a ride.
    im just listening to records.
    no musician heroes for me. I dont really look to Bruce or any musician for guidance.

The MEZ and DavidD like this.
  7. INSW

INSW Senior Member

My father used to tell me my Monty Python records weren't funny.

budwhite and Dr. Zoom like this.
  8. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

It sometimes takes a lot of patience when it comes to reading the passive-aggressive, carefully-worded Bruce bashing that keeps some members from breaking the forum rules here. I for one can't wait to hear the coming new full-length album. I know I can block some of the most annoying posters but why? They do sometimes have worthwhile things to say. I think what bothers me most is the enjoyment they seem to get from apparently putting Bruce fanboys in their place and watching some threads get locked. I hope this one doesn't become one of them.

Efus, Martin Byrne, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

“Tucson Train” is apparently the next single, or whatever they call it nowadays.

The MEZ and brettster808 like this.
  10. FingerPickin'Triumph

Springsteen twitter : "Waiting on the Five-Fifteen #tuscontrain" .... could the next single be released today in a little over an hour? ...look no cowboy hat! [​IMG]

DavidD, dtuck90 and brettster808 like this.
  11. FingerPickin'Triumph

Look like the 5:15 got delayed.

12. let him run...

Ride, duration...whatever you want to call it. We're all part of something similar once the needle hits the groove.
    I'm just listening to records too. But, I'm also reacting as well, I assume most are. Music doesn't simply wash over me, although it will if I let it. I don't really look to anyone for guidance. Musician or otherwise. I'm okay with instruction here and there. I have an innate sense of direction morally, spiritually whatever you want to call it. I try to listen to my first voice. I'm open to be inspired though.
    This relates to Springsteen because I often find him insightful and inspiring.
    Perhaps because we shared similar experiences growing up and we are very close to the same age. We came of age as rock and roll came of age. We were discovering the same music at the same time. We both became 18 within months of each other, we both had the draft board breathing down our neck. We were both deferred, but for different reasons. And we both felt a bit ashamed to realize someone may have died in our place.
    We both struggled to understand our dads. I think Bruce's dad made for a tougher road than mine.
    He and I diverged when he found a talent and a means of expression that I lacked.
    For all those reasons and more, he ends up the one artist I respect and relate to more than any other. Although I'm a bigger Beatles fan. And I'm pretty sure Bruce would be good with that. I know Little Steven would be in total agreement with me!
    Like lots of us, the 78 tour is THE tour. They're all good, but he set the bar really high in '78.
    I'm pretty sure I like his later stuff a lot more than you do. Even though, I think we both agree that Outlaw Pete doesn't work very well for either of us. It kinda seems like one of his goofy songs that missed the goofy on ramp and turned into something else.
    I'm pretty forgiving of a misstep here and there and am willing to admit that just because I didn't get something, doesn't that mean there's nothing to be got.
    When it comes to opinions, I go along with what Tom Waits said about opinions, which I can't share here because they have rules.
    As far as you and I, I'm sure we are more similar than we are different. Even though I'm also pretty sure we're different.
    Looking forward to this new record, I'm hoping he's tries out some stuff that might piss some people off. It's good for him and it's good for us.
    If anyone read this whole thing...well
    have a good weekend. It can only get better from here.

jricc, Paul R, Alan57 and 4 others like this.
  13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

You seem to have had experiences similar to Dave Marsh. He was on the radio the other day praising the Miracle song to the skies and how Bruce has been such an inspiration to him.

The MEZ and let him run... like this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

Ah hell after listening to There Goes My Miracle again I almost wish Bruce had gone all-in adding some girl singers around the chorus line and as part of the bridge lol. If you go Pop, go Big, lol. There is some subtle vocal layering the second time around on the chorus iirc (independent of the staggered delay effect of the 'walking away' lines).
    Am curious what the effect of the bridge would be without the vocal line. It seems initially to my ears it could have started strictly as an instrumental bridge with the vocal line an afterthought overdub. Also will try an edit without the bridge entirely and the song would be even more heavy on the chorus contrasted with the short verses.

15. let him run...

Possibly, I imagine we're of similar age, but I'm nowhere near as brusque as he is.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm honestly surprised at how much hate latter day Boss material gets. To me Magic and Wrecking Ball were both very strong records, maybe not Born To Run or Darkness On The Edge Of Town, but for "victory lap" era Springsteen I felt like both albums had a lot to offer. Hell, even High Hopes and Working On A Dream both have material I really like, even though as a whole they aren't the best records.

17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Magic I would agree was a good record. WB I really didn't like and it's clear from his book it's an album Bruce felt was very strong and important.

I think there are several problems with latter day Bruce records-the production and arrangements have added a sterility to an artist who was once natural and could surf that fine line. He writes a lot of songs but more importantly I think his quality control has went AWOL. I understand he's went from being precious and probably too much of a perfectionist with his recordings to a guy who thinks time is running out-people are going to want the stuff anyway so get it out.

I can live with that I don't expect any artist to do anything than move on and do what he thinks is right-in the modern era you will get overt negativity that I believe is the sometimes close relationship some fans/listeners have with an artist that is locked in-it's a bit like a special time in a relationship-you can't recreate it you just learn how to live together.

For me though I'm analytical I have to measure where does this fit in his back catalogue and for me Bruce has badly been let down by producers and those who he is close to with his material-a fair bit of what he's released has been mediocre if not downright poor. A good producer/manager should be saying mmmm can't we do better?

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

no Tucson Train?

DavidD and The MEZ like this.
  19. FingerPickin'Triumph

from twitter - Bruce interviewed in Italy this weekend.. tells reporter he plans on recording new record w/ E Street Band in the fall and follow that up with a tour. Also says that the making of Western Stars was filmed for a documentary.

This reveals potentially two things - No Born in the USA tour redux And a nice big whole in the calendar where a Born in the USA boxset would go this coming Holiday season.

DavidD, PacificOceanBlue and The MEZ like this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

That’s great but I hope the next tour is not a reheating of BITUSA. Been there, done that.

conjotter and DavidD like this.
  21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i cant see a box sandwiched between two new albums all in the space of 10 months.
    he said nothing about the box so i guess that gets moved to next year.

The MEZ likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Either way, I most likely won’t attend.

If he records a new album with the E Street Band, I suspect the associated tour will be a mixture of material, rather than a Born In The USA retread.

The MEZ likes this.
  23. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

or middle-aged guys who are upset that their erstwhile hero disagrees with them politically, interrupting their fist-pumping party time with actual thoughts. Easily and predictably identified with screeds on how he is a fraud for being a rich guy claiming to sing about the common man.

BourbonAndVinyl, TeddyB, Efus and 5 others like this.
  24. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Sadly, most people just want a nostalgia trip.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i guess we are just making up that his last bunch of albums have been pretty bad for any myriad of reasons.:rolleyes:
    except for the fact they are pretty bad.

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.