New St. Vincent album ("Daddy's Home") to be released May 14th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tlaloc, Feb 24, 2021.

1. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

No major wooshing to speak of. Being coloured the surface noise is probably a touch higher than a well pressed black vinyl but it's within acceptable levels, on my copy at least.

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Somebody like me just opens up

Unveils itself

A little stark when Morning Train starts
    The choral backing resurrects it - but please a little less on the Indian embellishmensts

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Black smoke indie
    3 songs on side 2 have non-fill
    Returned it - fingers crossed

4. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Agree with this, and Byrne is such an obvious influence musically, so much so that they made a record together. I think they may even collaborate again some day. It's just that Annie takes the Bowie approach of radically changing her style and the "persona" from which she writes her music every 2-3 years. Like a lot of successful artists, she draws different things from past icons and puts them in her own blender.

5. Woodface71

Woodface71 Well-Known Member

Just bought this on CD & think it is a really good album. She has gone under my radar this far so will explore her back catalogue, where next?

6. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

A great little song. Very similar to the Eels song ‘My Timing is Off’.

7. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

That sucks. Very nearly cancelled my bronze to get the black smoke version too, glad I didn't now. Hope your replacement's better.

8. Vapour

Vapour Forum Resident

Of course, I'd forgotten about the tie-up with Furnace. Thanks.

9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

i picked up the US indie black smoke version at my local store friday , i LOVE this album , the songs , the cool production & i have to say this pressing ups my dwindling faith in Vinyl pressings , best i've bought in a while , flat , dead quiet & a joy to spin , certainly worth owning ...... my only gripe is no download code .

audiotom, bigdoug920 and Isitquiex like this.
  10. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

No download code in the EU clear vinyl variant either, same with Mass Seduction. But her eponymous LP had one and that was on Loma Vista.

Regarding the clear vinyl itself, it was a little noisy in parts, nothing too bad but hoping a clean will sort it out.

11. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Her run from Actor/Strange Mercy/St. Vincent is her best, IMO. Marry Me (her debut) has some good tracks but it's still very much Annie trying to find her own sound. Masseduction was a step down from her peak (thus far) and more purely in the "pop" vein, though it has its merits as well (its stripped down, reimagined counterpart, MassEducation, is a nice alternative). Love This Giant, her collab album with David Byrne, is fun but I struggle to think of any real standouts from it.

12. Kiezza

Kiezza Active Member

Careful guys, the EU black vinyl sounds like it has a brush running through some of the tracks on the first version of this I bought, got another and half way through side one, so far okay, brush sound there at the beginning of the album but is gone now.

had to clean it as soon as I opened it. Odd… EU versions seem to be a bit miss more than hit generally no?

Porkpie likes this.
  13. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

I've been experiencing more issues with EU releases this past year (e.g. John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth, Plastic Ono Band, Amy Winhouse Live At BBC), they've been a bit sloppier lately. I half-expected it to be the case for Czech Republic pressings, but also noticed it for German ones. Basically anything that came with a printed inner would have paper dust stuck in the grooves and the first tracks would skip like crazy until you wet cleaned the record.

Haven't encountered the brush sound issue though...

14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I had the same thing! Wait til you get the penultimate track on side one, that’s when it was worst (“Live in the Dream”). I’m returning it and getting a US pressing.

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Foking hell... I've had that very discussion with a friend yesterday because I ordered the VMP version - as non member. Their EU postage is pretty reasonable and all in all I'm paying like 15€ more. Glad I did this! :cheers:

Porkpie likes this.
  16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The CD arrived yesterday, gave it a first listen this morning. I think it hangs together better as an album than the individual preview tracks would have suggested - more than the sum of its parts, while Masseduction was arguably less than the sum of its parts. Only track I'm unsure about is the Sheena Easton subversion - I guess John Peel would have liked it!

It's got as much to do with the 1970s as The Mikado has to do with Japan, though. A disguise to let her talk about the present, a proxy for personal issues.

Slightly annoying thing - some of the humming transitions between songs get their own tracks on the CD, which makes it hard to reliably pick the right track. Given as this seems best digested as an album, that's not the end of the world.

Davidmk5, CWillman and notesofachord like this.
  17. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

"...At The Holiday Party" reminds me of this song:
    ("Rome Wasn't Built In A Day" by Morcheeba)

18. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Minor gripe, but I kinda thought if you buy directly from the artist, you might get the product closer to release date than one week later, and that is the estimated delivery.

Davidmk5, possumdude and CBackley like this.
  19. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

There’s a lot of musical “quoting” on this album. Someone mentioned the sheen easton song. And Down and Out Downtown, the verse melody, reminds me a lot of The Cars’ Drive.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It could be intentional in some places, some of her lyrics especially off the leadoff single directly referenced other artists

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Oh, I think it is intentional, didn’t she say something in interviews like this album was about the music of her youth?
    Anyway, I don’t mind at all, the album is really growing on me.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  22. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The Sheena Easton riposte has a co-write credit from the original songwriter of 9 to 5 (Morning Train), so that one's above board. Pretty weird choice, but if you read the lyrics of the original it definitely needed a bit of subversion!

23. Geezee

Geezee Forum Resident

It reminds me quite a bit of Beck's Midnite Vultures, both in terms of overall aesthetic but also how it fits into her relative career to date.

24. Pig In Chardonnay

Pig In Chardonnay Active Member

Purchased the Indie stores clear vinyl at the weekend & its been on heavy rotation ever since.
    No noticeable surface noise on my (modest) setup. nice, flat & quiet vinyl.
    One of the best releases (so far) of 2021, imo.

Darren Richardson and Davidmk5 like this.
  25. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I read an interview where she said she wrote the song and knew it sounded familiar but didn’t know why at first, then realised that the song was the same as 9 to 5.

Davidmk5 and Alexlotl like this.