New St. Vincent album ("Daddy's Home") to be released May 14th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tlaloc, Feb 24, 2021.

1. AlfonsoVG

AlfonsoVG all shook down

Anyone who's been able to collaborate with both Wire and the Swans gets a lifetime pass from me. But even so, as I said a few posts ago I find her last 2 LPs ultimately underwhelming.

2. GK

GK Forum Resident

Saw her show in Pittsburgh a couple nights ago and it was great. Really took me by surprise.

linklinc and wolfram like this.
  3. Jonathan Halen

Jonathan Halen Forum Resident

The Nowhere Inn (spotify link)

She released a new album today, the soundtrack of "The Nowhere Inn"

Pineapple and linklinc like this.
  4. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

5. Very much enjoying Daddy's Home after cautiously taking the plunge with some Xmas funds. I was disappointed by her last one - hence a bit of hesitation in stumping up for this, but after reading a few positive reviews I got it and have no regrets. Despite the odd stylistic flourish (sitar anyone?) I think this has a slightly back to basics vibe to it - basics in Annie Clark's case meaning some throbbing grooves, massed backing vocals and complex arrangements all over the place. Happily though it isn't produced to within an inch of its life, meaning the songs get to shine and Annie lets the melodies and her voice do the talking. Using real drums was a great idea, definitely more a band feel to proceedings, lovely record.

linklinc, Nike, Bill Why Man and 2 others like this.
  6. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Late to this particular party but glad I got here in the end. Late (for me) entry into my top albums of the year. FWI I hear The velvets, Prince and even Floyd but all mixed into a beautiful ambience...

Put it on random play with Lorde Solar Power and it was sometimes hard to see the join...

dmiller458 and linklinc like this.
  7. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Gave the album a listen recently and it holds up well IMO, lots of fantastic melodies and songwriting. My favorite off the record as of now is "Down and Out Downtown"

Pollyjean likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Definitely a very good album!

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  10. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

I only listened to the 30sec samples when Daddy's Home came out and wasn't all that enthralled, so pulled it from my wish list. After watching the recent appearance on Austin City Limits I ordered it the next day. I listened to it on headphones and immediately replayed it and listened a second time right away, which I pretty much never do. I loved it and thought it sounded fantastic. Should have known better than to judge on samplers.:oops:

notesofachord likes this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I’m listening to the LP for the first time at the moment. Excellent sound quality, IMO.

Excellent music as well, of course.

12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

From the St Vincent mailing list...

‐‐‐--------------------------

A Note From Annie

Daddy’s Home has been out a whole year. I think “year” meant something different to me the last time I put out a record. A year was endless travel and tours and interviews and fat airline mileage accounts. A year was longer. A year was much, much shorter. A year into a record release was a little road-burned, a little manic, a little emotionally strung out, but I could sleep. But the global-event-that-shall-not-be-mentioned made me, like all of us, re-experience and reimagine time. When does something start? When does it end? I set out to make something that had a different kind of relationship to time. It “started” with my earliest memories of road trips, listening to Steely Dan, looking out the window of a car not suited for children, watching the man-of-war laden, oil-slicked beaches of North Padre Island, Texas blur by. “Here come those Santa Ana winds again….” I didn’t know what a Babylon sister was, but I sure sang along religiously with my sisters…”So fine so young…tell me I’m the only one…” and the gulf air blowing the smell of tar and Texas throughout a car playing a song unsuitable for children.

And I learned you can tell a real sad story with a smirk on your face.

So time moves in it’s typically-perceived direction and years later I write a song called, “Daddy’s Home.” And I’m thinking back to those Haitian divorces and that Dr Wu and that smell and time’s all circling back on itself.

And then I looked up one day and I’m Daddy now.

I don’t know how it happened. I swear I was just a kid. Time just happened to me.

“I wanna be loved” is the truest thing I ever sang. I could primal scream it until my throat bleeds. Say it to yourself enough and you’ll start to cry. But as much as that line is true, I wanna love, too. I really, really do.

“Candy Darling” was the last song I wrote for “Daddy’s Home.” I can’t explain it, but I felt like Candy was guiding me through writing it all, so it only made sense for me to send her home on that last uptown train with a bouquet of bodega roses. I had to leave her there. She had to leave me. She had a pressing engagement.

We are all sinners. I’m just so thankful you made a cameo. That you could ever forgive me.

And I learned things don’t have to make literal sense to mean everything.

Lots of love and all my gratitude,

Annie

[​IMG]

tin ears and dmiller458 like this.
  13. linklinc1

linklinc1 Forum Resident

In between albums... doubtful it's from the "Daddy's Home" sessions, but... certainly of the 70's vibe that inspired lots of it...

From the upcoming "Minions" Soundtrack...
    ~"Funkytown"- St. Vincent

Porkpie likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

You know this is a cover right? I heard a new Diana Ross track with Tame Impala on the radio yesterday that had a real 70s disco vibe too so I’m guessing the movie is going for that sound.

linklinc1 likes this.
  15. linklinc1

linklinc1 Forum Resident

U betcha'!

At 58 years young this last 4-20, I've made many a trip to Funkytown!

That's the dancin' holy fool part of how I get to write "young" after "58 years"!

Porkpie likes this.
  16. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I finally got around to listening to this album. I had liked Strange Mercy and her s/t, but didn't care for Masseduction, so I didn't bother listening to this one when it came out. Then I saw her open for Roxy in September and it reignited my fandom, so I decided to go back and listen to all of her albums in order. This one is a significant step up from Masseduction for me...Live in the Dream and Melting of the Sun are definitely two of her best tracks.

wolfram and brimuchmuze like this.
  17. Nike

Nike Duke

This is great album, and i like mass original and altenrat version more than others

wolfram likes this.
  18. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Oof. This is the 3rd or 4th great song that she has done a very underwhelming cover of. This might be the point where I tap out.

19. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

It took me a while to bond with this album but now I absolutely love it...on vinyl of course, sounds like a future classic to me.

wolfram, pghmusiclover and fmfxray373 like this.