New St. Vincent album ("Daddy's Home") to be released May 14th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tlaloc, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Some great songs on this record but the constant use of sitar, or a similar sounding synthesised sound, is too much for me.

englishbob likes this.
  2. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Only listened once last night, but I guess I'm in the minority with this album - it was a letdown for me. Very few moments jumped out and grabbed me in the way that her previous albums did, and the more subdued, ballad-y tracks started blending together pretty quickly. I don't remember much about the last stretch of the album at all, other than patiently waiting for it to end.

Everyone else seems to hear brilliance that I'm missing, so who knows. Maybe some day I'll revisit this and it will click for me, but after first listen I don't even feel inspired enough to go out and buy a CD copy.

englishbob likes this.
  3. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Just done the first play of the black vinyl - European pressing - thankfully it retains the CB Chris Bellman cut, but you don't get away from the fact that its pressed by GZVinyl, and yep yet again its dish warped. Otherwise the cut sounds great.

As for the album itself, its 70's woozy laid back vibe is throughout the whole album, a concept piece then. Initially nothing really leapt out at me on the first play, but I'll spend some more time with it over the weekend. Its not as bad as Artic Monkeys attempt at it anyway.

I miss the mad electric outbursts of her other albums, this one is probably closer to the her first two albums than anything else. I'm sure her next album will be different still, and that is why we like artists like this.

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As with Bowie, who constantly wrestled with the same preoccupations, such as his and our mortality, from 1967’s “Mr. Gravedigger” all the way to Blackstar, none of St. Vincent’s albums are really that “different,” I’d argue. The superficial costume changes are meaningless. I’m not as familiar with her catalog as I am with Bowie’s, but Bowie’s observation that “I've never caught a glimpse of how others must see the faker” holds true for her as well. Underneath all of the masks, there is a real human being, with a constant personality and preoccupations.

notesofachord and DBMethos like this.
  5. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Gave this a couple of listens and thought it was completely forgettable. There was a point where I checked to see if it was almost over because it felt like I'd been listening to it forever, but I wasn't even halfway through the thing. I'll come back to it in a few months to see if I missed something.

It seems to me that the Bowie comparison is something she has made a conscious effort to cultivate over the last three albums. This one is probably the first where there are some actual musical echoes since she has rehashed elements of his stuff. Aside from that, it's extremely common for pop musicians to have a new "aesthetic" every album cycle and a narrative about the album to spout to the press.

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I really the songs, but her ballads and slower tracks are always my favourites on her albums. I have the black EU pressing from Amazon but it’s pretty noisy in terms of a lot of whooshing.

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

“Digital Witness” is one of my favorite tracks of the 2010s.

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

It's a '60s-vintage Coral electric sitar, like on The Box Tops' "Cry Like A Baby."

9. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

It’s great on those but I just don’t think it works on the St Vincent tracks. Feels a bit overused.

10. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Insanely catchy song, but I find her blank vocal affect and the general too-cool-for-school vibe of the track tremendously off-putting.

Instead of consuming detached, ironic art about how we spend too much time watching images on screens, maybe we should just turn off the screens.

12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Like listening to “Digital Witness” on vinyl. :)

13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Bowie was the ultimate trail blazer
    His vision and mystique - a tight rope to his soul

He grew in a period where he was the most visible example of the dramatic shift in sexual mores
    He wore his androgyny openly on his sleeve

Like the Beatles or Elvis before him
    He was the transition in music and cultural norms

His work has an underlying sense of detachment

Bowie was deep
    From an intellectual and emotional state
    Yearned to cross the boundaries

His brother’s tragic life had a strong effect on him

He enjoyed controlling just what you would see in his fishbowl existence

Then later, he relaxed, let go

Annie didn’t live in such a period of cultural shift
    But she molded herself on the impact that a David could bring from his craft, presence and detachment

Heady London or Suburban Dallas

She has the vision
    Hones the craft
    Brings the intelligence and insight
    Conceives and collects from those before her

I took a friend to see her Digital witness tour “cold”
    His comments “she is the female rock personification of Bowie, Byrne and Prince”

Listen to Marry Me
    Annie’s first album
    All the aspirations are there

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  14. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

St Vincent isn't really in my wheelhouse stylistically but ever since I saw her Nirvana rock n roll hall of fame performance, I've been intrigued. I listened to "Daddy's Home" today, I didn't think it was half bad. I definitely see some some "Scary Monsters" Bowie influence in this album. I'm inclined to give it another chance and see if it grows on me. It's always cool to expand the comfort zone a bit and not end up like so many in this forum - Stuck in an era of the past.

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Actually the MassEducation album is Annie on vocals (no guitar) and THomas Bartlett on piano

It’s very stark and beautiful

MassEducation - St. Vincent | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

mradmack, tin ears, Bassist and 3 others like this.
  16. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I have very bad experiences with favorite bands going retro - Opeth or Pain of Salvation anyone? This St Vincent direction has unfortunately the same been there done that vibe. Im hoping for the disco or metal direction next time (or both simultaneously), should fit her just fine.

17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Really digging this album based on first listening impressions. Strong vocal melodies and the overall audio aesthetic is up my wheelhouse too. Her self-titled so far is my favorite, and I am already quite liking this one a bit more than the last album (though I dig that one too)

18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Soooooo, she should pick from two other genres that were from the ‘70s for her next project?

Very un-retro...

o_O

19. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

Liking it. Sounds pretty great too, can’t wait for the vinyl.

Still waiting for the album where she finally shreds on the guitar.

20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

21. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

If I were to form a supergroup, Annie would be my lead guitarist. Man, she can play the guitar! Listen to her performing ‘Dig A Pony’, very cool.

I picked up Daddy’s Home at my local record store yesterday and I listened to it three or four times now. It is a fun record, really soulful. A bit too much for my liking, but I have listened to it more than I listened to her previous record. It harks back a bit to her first two records, which I loved, but I consider Strange Mercy her definitive record, the most true.

I’m not joining the discussion on Bowie, because different times etc. I’ve followed St. Vincent for over a decade now, and she really changed after the album and tour with David Byrne. More focus on the act/art in stead of just music. Her gigs became performances, not just concerts anymore. St. Vincent became a persona, which I think is cool and interesting.

BCJaysfan, audiotom, linklinc and 2 others like this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Still not sure what I'm making of her but the first Spotify listening was good enough to order the Vinyl Me Please version.

linklinc and MonkeyTennis like this.
  23. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’m on my second play through. First time round, I was reasonably certain I was going to love it. On second airing, I’m not sure. Maybe it’s the reviews, but there’s something very arch about it-it feels rather impersonal, like she’s more interested in showing what she can do than expressing her thoughts in music. Nothing wrong with that, but when she’s capable of songs as heartbreaking as Happy Birthday Johnny or Severed Cross Fingers, I’m finding myself wanting more this time.

24. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

On my 2nd listen now and I'm loving it even more this time. It's definitely a contender for my album of the year so far and is it just me or does Live In The Dream sound a lot like Us and Them by Pink Floyd?

linklinc and MonkeyTennis like this.
  25. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

A quick look... it seems like you can't start a full new thread directing to your self authored link. That makes sense. Otherwise, writers could constantly be posting about their new blog entry with thread after thread clogging up the board- especially if lots of different writers did this.

In Steve's original post it speaks about an author starting a new thread & explains that the thread started will be removed. It says nothing about making a post within an already existing thread & doesn't mention "posts" at all, only threads. Obviously a post & a thread are two very different things.

As far as I could tell, it was fine to make a post, within an already existing thread to such a relevant link. That also makes sense.

Stopping an author from posting relevant material within an already existing thread doesn't make sense. Others post links to outside articles/reviews/blogs all the time when it's relevant to an already existing thread. It would seem a trivial detail if it was the author themselves posting it, or just an appreciative reader.

If I am wrong, I am guessing a Gort, or wiser veteran of the forum (maybe yourself) will educate & correct me here.

Just wanted to clarify... and, just for the record, I really liked the review in question here too.

Last edited: May 15, 2021