New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Exactly he could be on the Enterprise for say a 5 year mission then on to Starfleet Academy for 5 years, then well...you know the rest

2. I don’t know how many years he would have in a series but it would be still a worthwhile series.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Apparently that is still way in the future. I’d love to see a new Star Trek series on the Enterprise with Pike, Spock, and Number One.

Dr. Pepper and wayneklein like this.
  4. I agree. It's an example of a missed opportunity if they don't pursue it. Anson's performance (and Peck's as well) was terrific. i'm going to miss him after this season. This latest episode was terrific.

SJP and Dr. Pepper like this.
  5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

That's something of a truism for season 2.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

If you mean time line wise. The Menagerie episode was 10 years in the future, and they speak of the accident as fairly recent at that time, so it would seem like we have almost 10 years of time to play with. Even then a season does not have to equate with a year, so with these short seasons it would be easy to say 2 or 3 seasons equate to a year. I mean Pike could easily do 7 seasons on the Enterprise then 7 seasons at the Academy without it seeming out of place.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nice with a Pike centric episode. And what a choice he made!
    Was Tilly away on Starfleet Captain training? :whistle::biglaugh:

8. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I just finished watching this week's episode, which I loved. Every scene worked for me, and every single line of dialogue rang true. I have no idea where the season finale will take things, but I'm counting the days until I can find out. The look of the Enterprise was one I accepted with no issues. The Bridge felt like home, a home we've been away from far too long.

CBS has a series featuring Jean-Luc Picard that will begin filming not long from now, and a Section 31 based show is planned, for late 2020 or early 2021. But what I want to see more than anything else are the voyages of this Enterprise, with Pike in command.

Vidiot, budwhite, Meng and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Now I'm lost. That Enterprise bridge and turbo lift sets were amazing. How do they not use them in a series? Why do they keep stressing there will be no holograms on the Enterprise if they are not going to continue to use the Enterprise? Number One still hasn't been utilized enough to justify the actress who plays her. It all sure seems to point to an Enterprise with Pike series.

budwhite and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

The episode itself was a bit meh, but that’s expected when it is the first of two parts.

Loved the Enterprise bridge, especially since it wasn’t simply a redressed version of the Discovery. Can’t believe they’d spend the money and not put it to use. I’m sure somebody is already putting together a comparison of the original series bridge with the new one.

I don’t understand how Control can prevent Discovery from self-destructing and activate the shields, but can’t stop the people on it from taking it to the future.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This was the most stressful filler episode I've ever seen. Can it be next Thursday already??

That's not Control doing that. Remember how the sphere data was protecting itself when they tried to delete it, a few episodes ago?

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There were way too many goodbye moments in this episode.

Based on what we saw in Calypso, I think we can see where this is all going to end up. Those who wanted a series that takes place well after the events of Voyager are, in a sense, going to get what they want, though I doubt that that development is going to appease the show's detractors. I assume that Spock will find his way back to the Enterprise before the end of next week's episode.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Spock is seen in a shuttle in the preview for the next episode. There's your explanation for the spoilery thing.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I believe that was already virtually confirmed when they said Discovery was renewed and Anson Mount was leaving. The hologram thing was mentioned a couple months ago as well - they had to get rid of holograms before TOS would occur in the timeline.

15. Dr. Pepper

The problem is Doug let is slip in a interview that Pike would be the lead character in the Starfleet Academy series, which also sadly makes sense. I would just prefer him on the Enterprise for awhile first.

16. DreadPikathulhu

I don’t really see the appeal of an Academy series. The show would be stuck in one location with a cast of cadets.

17. Dr. Pepper

Oh, I could see trying to reach a younger audience and all, but not wasting one of the best captains we have ever seen.

18. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

One question I had was how they
    got back to Discovery (from the Enterprise) after Control had raised its shields? In the original series the shields had to be down to beam in or out.
    I realize this may be nit-picking but what good are shields if anyone can just beam through them?

19. BeatleJWOL

Control didn't raise the Discovery shields. If Control had Discovery, there's no way it would have let the crew back on board; the mission would have already failed.

20. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Discovery's shields were raised when the Enterprise fired photon torpedoes at it

21. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

My mistake - I was talking about the sphere data taking control of Discovery. As Meng mentioned the shields were up when Enterprise fired on it. Also, if the sphere data is able to raise shields it could probably take over the whole ship at some point and just fly out of there.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

That's what was hinted in the pre-season "short trek" that took place in the future.

JohnBeas likes this.
  23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Not necessarily. In Wrath of Khan, Spock was taking recruits on a 3 week training mission using the Enterprise. Perfectly possible that Pike could also be using the ship for training purposes.

Vidiot and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  24. gogators1

gogators1 Forum Resident

Is Captain Pike a male in the new iterations? Or is it Christine Pike?

25. BeatleJWOL

Discovery follows the prime timeline so it's the same ol' Chris Pike.

gogators1 likes this.