New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I keep thinking of going back and rewatching Discovery from the beginning, as it's going to be a while until season 3 is released.
    I don't know if I can stomach the ridiculous new take on the Klingons again, though.

RolandG and Linger63 like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

We've just started doing just that! We are also doing a Podcast to chat about the episodes starting from the beginning with some folks that are watching it for the first time, and we all love it! Have a listen if you wish.

Star Trek Time Podcast (001) 2020-08-08 Star Trek Discovery First Two Episodes Chat

Or here is the extended video if you prefer, don't get to Star Trek until about a half hour in, I'm the one with the Twilight Zone Background.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. Dr. Pepper

West coasters if you tune into CBS right now, it just started. Its on Thursday nights at 10 on plain old CBS for free

4. Dr. Pepper

West coasters the third episode just started on regular CBS. Its a fine place to start the series!

5. Dr. Pepper

This is the episode where we meet the Captain and see the ship Discovery for the first time.

6. Dr. Pepper

Goodness I love Tilly's first scene. Her character is established within the first few lines of dialog.

7. Dr. Pepper

I had forgotten how we get introduced to Captain Lorca, the Tilly in the next scene along with the mysterious Black Alert all within 5 or so minutes. All of this is designed to keep us of balance, which it does!

8. Dr. Pepper

Love the Beatles mention in this episode and that it shows that John Lennon will be remembered far into the future. I hope at least that part of Star Trek is true.

Phil147 likes this.
  9. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I highly suspect that part will be true.

10. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

But will they still be discussing who sang the ah's on A Day in the Life on this forum?

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  11. David Campbell

I enjoyed the first season of Discovery with some reservations at the time, but knowing how awesome Season 2 ended up being and knowing now how certain things and characters turn out,on rewatching it now I'm finding I'm enjoying it more. Still not a fan of the new take on Klingons (they should have been just a new alien species ) but I can overlook it.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Now ya had to do it...a perfect storm of mention of the forums' biggest obsession, and the internet's biggest obsession...with plenty of intractable, stodgy traditionalists to bloat any conversation...:rolleyes:

BeatleJWOL and Dr. Pepper like this.
  13. David Campbell

I can see it now...

#notmystartrek #notmybeatles #notmyjohnlennon #cbsruinedmytrek #appleruinedmybeatles etc.....

:D

Dr. Pepper and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Giving them hair fixed most of the problems.

I think there was an attempt to get away from the "bumpy space Vikings" or "bumpy space metal band" look. But a) balding them and b) not showing any other types of Klingons in that multi-house Zoom call in the first episode were both bad choices.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. The lead actress showed some personality and humor. I also liked the premise of the duo traveling around this future world. The following episodes were good but more of the same. Still, I’ll continue watching.

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Never really had an interest in this show. Gave it a chance when 3 or 4 episodes aired on CBS over the last month or so and I like what I saw. I have no idea what season they are showing and don't know anything from previous episodes but we liked it. I have no plans to subscribe to CBS whatever pay service.

And I miss Klingons looking like this:
    [​IMG]

Can't go wrong with that look, these new purple looking Klingons don't cut it for me.

17. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

each season that launches i try to give it another go but i last 4 or 5 episodes and just give up. Its awful.

18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

The only reason I stuck with it as long as I did was because some of the other Star Trek spinoffs improved over the first few seasons. Discovery keeps getting worse. Too much emoting. Not enough boldly going. I fell asleep in the middle of an the episode a few weeks back where Phillippa went thru the door back to the parallel universe. I'm out. I'm done.

19. I like the show although this season has been a bit disappointing with too many coincidences. It’s an example poor writing but the explanation of the Burn is rather unique. I just don’t buy Tilly’s new role(there weren’t any other candidates that were better qualified?). Some episodes are good, some have been ok. The first season story arc and especially the second were pretty good even when shortcuts in the writing process to resolve things were used. The other issue I have is not enough conflict in the ship but, on the whole, it’s been a good series.

I suppose it goes down to expectations-lots of folks don’t like it because it’s not what came before but EVERY Trek series faced criticism (except maybe Next Gen) when it was compared to what came before until given a chance.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  20. My only complaint about that is that the parallel universe plays as a extreme cartoon of ours. I had that complaint also about it on DS9 (although it wasn’t quite as extreme).

robertawillisjr likes this.
  21. Love the background.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  22. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Ive liked every start trek series, even enterprise which a lot seem to hate. But this is awful, terrible acting, terrible writing, ridiculous storylines. I hate the whole concept of the spore drive and the klingons were ridiculous too. Have tried to get into the season and just find it equally as bad. Its like they came up with one quick story for the spore drive over too many beers at the beginning and now have to make up even more ridiculous storylines to justify why its never been mentioned before.

They would have been better off making this a totally different sci fi series and drop the star trek name.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  23. Why? I mean if it’s bad for you, it’s bad. I thought the way they introduced the spore drive and the reason it isn’t in other Trek series was a rather clever idea. To each their own.

24. Dr. Pepper

Yes wouldn't that be exactly like on Wesley's final season on Next Gen, making him 2nd in command? I mean weren't his path and Tilly's alomost identical, but Tilly's was even faster.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

The first series was average.
    The second series was pretty good.
    The third series was utter piffle.
    In a word, “dull”.

skimminstones, thegage and wayneklein like this.