New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Bink likes this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I guess I represent the largest group of Star Trek Discovery viewers - I am a moderate fan. If I have access to the latest series then I will happily sit down and watch it. However I am not likely to subscribe to a new streaming service for it.

Unfortunately what I see happening here is those people who really want to watch it will find an illicit site where they will stream each episode for free, so by the time Paramount+ is available, they would have already lost a number of potential viewers. The upshot is that the powers that be will think the series has dipped in popularity and therefore may question whether to continue with the show.

3. If I added up all the things suggested to me that individualy cost the price of an extravagant cup of Starbucks Coffee per month I’d be broke!

RolandG and Bink like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

No worries I can add it all up for you if you simply send me via venmo the price if one cup of coffee!

Shawn likes this.
  5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

What's the difference between that and the $5.99 plan?

6. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

On the topic of Star Trek, I finally got around to watching the first few episodes of Prodigy. The graphics are amazing, it looks like a Pixar Star Trek series. The plot is a bit silly at times (it's a kid show after all), but definitely has potential.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I absolutely loved episode one of season four. It kept me on the edge of my seat at times and where I used to find Burnham to be a bit annoying at times, she was much more likable in this one.

Curveboy and GentleSenator like this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agree! the familiar silliness and clunky script issues are very much still present and it took waaaaaaaaaaaayy too long to get the character into the captain's chair, but i think episode one opened the door to some actual fun this season. we shall see.

SJP likes this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

After the last season which was a bit meh and the clusterduck that was Picard I can pass quite easily.

GyroT and sharedon like this.
  10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Picard was amazing, can't wait for season 2

will_b_free, Curveboy and SJP like this.
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We must have watched a different show. :laugh:

Drew, GentleSenator and Shawn like this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Great fun to be back in the 32nd century again. Love this cast, this crew, and although I could live without the galaxy-threatening menace hanging over the whole season, I'm very curious to see where this goes.

Doug Drexler, who worked in various capacity (makeup, scenic design) on Next Generation, DS9 and Enterprise, has been part of the creative process on Season 2, and recently said on Facebook:
    Facebook

He's been previously open about strongly disliking Discovery in particular, so this might bode well for the TruFans that can't abide by this newfangled Trek :laugh:

13. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Well, based on the teaser it should be a rollicking good ride, hope they don't go overboard with all the call backs though.

I am totally loving Lower Decks and Prodigy. Discovery looks like it will be an exciting season, and I can't believe we still have Strange New Worlds and Picard 2 coming soon. It's like Star Trek heaven right now.

sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's amazing how much Trek product they're pumping out at once. I feel like it's probably one series too many, although I'm guessing one of them (likely Discovery) will probably end after next year.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

It’s nice to have some Trek options for sure. It’s a topic for another thread, but what I’d like is a really epic well written new Trek movie!

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. I did. While it wasn’t great. It was very good. The conclusion was disappointing.

17. My concern is franchise fatigue. It’s happened before and with the. Restive team spread too thin.

18. BeatleJWOL

I'd be content if Disco got 5 seasons, just to see some nerd heads explode (one more season than the also-derided Enterprise).

19. I wasn’t crazy about last season. Here’s hoping season four improves. Season two was still the best. Anson Mount is perfect as Pike.

20. BeatleJWOL

Extremely excited for Strange New Worlds purely because of that, though there's a lot more that I like too.

Curveboy and wayneklein like this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Enterprise was a trainwreck. I know people are trying to rehab its reputation, but Bakula was whiny as Archer, Reed was peevish, Tucker surly, Sato was also whiny and Mayweather kind of a handsome non-entity. That once again left the aliens to carry the show. John Billingsley did what he could as Phlox, and as with Jeri Ryan over on Voyager Jolene Blalock was brought in as eye candy and proceeded to steal the show as T'Pol, easily the most interesting character in the cast.

The show itself was created as a prequel to get out of the rut the producers had gotten themselves into with TNG, DS9 and especially Voyager, and then they promptly began reintroducing aliens and technologies from subsequent Treks. The production design and music were also not far-removed from the series' predecessors (apart from that dreadful theme). It just ended up feeling like an inferior version of shows we'd already seen. Berman and Braga really needed to get the axe after Voyager limped to its conclusion - Paramount were idiots for giving them another Trek series.

The final season of Enterprise did make the most out of a bad situation. But really I think you'd need to dump most of the cast and introduce new characters to have any hope of making a truly good show, including the captain, and that wasn't going to happen.

22. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I tend to agree, though there were really solid episodes sprinkled throughout. The 4th season was really good, which just shows that the problems weren't with the characters, but with the writing. The franchise just needed some time off to regroup at that point.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I think, with streaming, that the risk is low. Even with more series, they all have low season counts, so they can all stretch the shows throughout a year, with different ones popping up every few months. It's a great strategy to keep the fans happy, because there will always be something new happening just around the corner, even if the one that is running now isn't to your liking.

sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I wonder if they realise that and are happy with it - it almost seems that their tactic is to release as many products as they can in a short space of time. Then when fatigue sets in, they have a hiatus until they feel that audience and media appetite is there again and start all over again with a new team.