New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Surely you can't be serious. DS9 and Voyager had their fair share of top quality episodes.

Meng, ducksdeluxe, ggergm and 3 others like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley!

(Sorry, I had to).

Meng and Linger63 like this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The million dollar question is which universe will it be set in? Couldn't they at least reveal that much?

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Does it matter? One bit of space looks pretty much like any other bit of space.

Mazzy likes this.
  5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

If they can get Aaron Sorkin onboard, I'm all in.

6. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

As long as they have a good cast and fresh story lines, not the same stuff we have seen numerous times before.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Agreed. I think it's a foregone conclusion that the upcoming series will be significantly different than previous series, and that's a good thing. I love TNG and DS9, but there's a cheesiness factor that runs through all of the Trek series, and, of course, plenty of filler due to the archaic 20+ episode seasons. There was also a sameness that ran throught TNG, DS9 and Voyager. They all kind of felt the same: same production style, same music. They would use the same drawn out musical note to cut to virtually every commercial break for the 3 series. It is a new era for television, it's time for the franchise to move in a fresh direction with a fresh perspective.

Rubber65 and eddiel like this.
  8. dirwuf

Though it'll never happen in a million years, I would be fine if next years film was the end of the film franchise (for now), and the new series was the continuing voyage of Kirk's Enterprise (with a new cast obviously)...

9. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Agreed... I'd love to see a faithful take on the original with similar sets, costumes, etc. with new characters. Other than inexpensive planet sets with styrofoam rocks and such, most of the original technology design on the ship still holds up except for the occasional cheese like turning big knobs for controls, the occasional toggle switch, and sliding instrument panels that simulate indicator lights.
    I'm not holding my breath though.

10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The problem was with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga repeating themselves. Nothing wrong with those two guys but like all of us, they only had so many new and innovative ideas. All of the later Trek series had great episodes when The Powers That Be would let other people be the show runners. Ronald Moore did great things with both TNG and Deep Space Nine and the reason the fourth season of Enterprise was its best was because Manny Coto took over.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree about the importance of a good cast and stories. WRT the cast, I really, really hope they don't make the cast all pretty young things operating shiny consoles. A big part of what made the previous TV series' successful was the diversity of the cast - you had younger junior officers, more seasoned officers and perhaps older members in positions such as chief medical officer.

As for new storylines, that may be a harder ask. I think the best you can hope for is to tell stories in new and interesting ways and settings. What would help would be an ongoing arc like in DS9 with the Dominion War and Pah-wraith sub-arcs. Focusing on a long running arc gives you more flexibility to build tension over time as opposed to standalone episodes. So, I'd like to see the underlying DS9 arc model adopted, but with no Ferengi! :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  12. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Once DS9 started going with epic story arcs, that show became much more than just a cookie cutter Star Trek series. DS9 is the neglected step-child of all of the Trek series, however it's my favorite.

While I really like the first 2 seasons of DS9, I would recommend starting with the 3rd season for newbies, or people that gave up on the show. It had a different tone than Next Generation, and sadly DS9 started right when the Next Generation was at it's peak. So a lot of folks didn't give the show a chance.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I really hope not. Those sets existed due to the limitations of the era they were created in. Sorry, but in my opinion, that entire series was pretty cheesy. The sets and the costumes were awful. The stories weren't much better. The original cast were given a much better platform with the films. I like most of the original cast films, but I'm not a fan of TOS. It was essentially a campy space western with action, ironic considering that TOS loyalists criticize the Abrams directed films for being heavy on action and light on story when, in fact, more depth can be found in those two films than in the entire 3 seasons of TOS combined. The characterization in those films is much richer than anything found in TOS. We finally have a strong female character in Uhura rather than the bland depiction of the character in TOS and the accompanying films. Spock actually acknowledges and struggles to come to terms with the fact that he is of two worlds rather than the Spock of TOS who is essentially Vulcan through and through. We are barely given a glimpse of Spock's human side in TOS.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Not the one with billions of dead Vulcans, let's hope.

I just wonder which century it will be set in?

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I enjoyed Enterprise ! I have many doubts this will work !

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I understand what the article is saying, but Star Trek doesn't need to compete with the current crop of shows, the franchise has a big enough audience that it will be a success no-matter what.
    Enterprise already made steps in the direction of more realistic and serialized storytelling. Of course that show had its problems, but the same approach could work again.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't particularly agree with quite a bit in that article, but the broader point about today's audience and expectations, even compared to the most recent of the series Enterprise, have validity. The network might be tempted to go the way of say Minority Report - shiny sets, floating virtual displays all over the place, young kick-ass cast with lots of space phaser battles, etc, while only paying lip service to traditional (TV) Trek themes and conventions, in an effort to attract new (aka younger) viewers. I hope not.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I really like how Game of Thrones gives you quality over quantity.

Just 10 hours and it's all over till next Season............but WHAT a 10 hours.

Same with Walking Dead......

Shorter and sweeter.....leaves you wanting more and the anticipation of the next season is agony and ecstasy combined.

Maybe the powers that be should try that here.

I'm guessing most people would prefer a shorter season if the episodes were of higher quality.

Imagine spending the entire budget for 23 Episodes on just 10!!!

I know extra cash to spend per episode doesn't guarantee anything............but it sure wouldn't hurt either!!!

For all I know they're not even doing a 23 episode season.........anyone know yet??

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

True enough, as even the latest season of GOT wasn't as good as previous seasons. But when it comes to Trek, I would be disappointed if there were only 10 eps per season. It just wouldn't feel right. I'd put the minimum at 18 per season, even if some were sub-par.

21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I've only seen up to the end of Season 4 of GOT.....no spoilers please..:)

So you are a "more the merrier" type dude......me too really.

As a real Trek fan though I just don't want sub par episodes possibly causing early cancellation.

I guess we are asking a bit much.......more episodes AND higher quality. :p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  22. I'd love them to go bold and really shift like they did with the Craig Bond films

Man someone like Soderbergh. Shake it up

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

When it comes to Trek, yes (not necessarily for some premium cable/streaming shows). It might be for historical reasons, but I also enjoy binge watching the various series every few years and when you do that, you'd run out of episodes pretty quickly if there were only 10 eps per season.
    I agree with you about not wanting sub-par episodes (who does?). As far as early cancellation goes due to ratings, I suspect this won't be a big factor, for a number of reasons.

First, it's Trek and the series coincides with the 50th anniversary milestone, so it will get some slack. And besides, it will contribute to the catalog of all things Trek which will continue to be monetized going forward.

I reckon the ratings won't be great by traditional standards because of the way it's being released in the US, via All Access - hardly a mass market delivery system (something CBS is trying to change, obviously). However, while that's the case in the US, it's not the case across the world, where the show will be available either on TV or various streaming/cable services, depending on region. I think I read it will be available simultaneously too, so the combined audience across the globe could be huge, therefore local US ratings won't matter that much.
    Might be a big ask, but frankly I'd be happy if the eps were of the same quality as say TNG S3-S6 or DS9 all seasons.

Linger63 likes this.
  24. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I recently discovered CBS Access on my ROKU - I thought, ok, wow CBS is so behind on this kind of thing, but I'll click on it to set it up in case they had something I missed that I could stream, unlikely as that is... and
    then I saw it was a paid service. No way.

25. dirwuf

Doing a Star Trek series not featuring the Enterprise is doing a spinoff...Hope they have the common sense to at least see that.