New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Indeed!

1080p looks fantastic on my 114" scope screen projected by a JVC X35 from 2012.

2. budwhite

I'm rewatching Discovery. Season 2 hits Netflix on Friday.

What's up with the crappy reflexes in the actors eyes? It's almost in every scene and it looks terrible and is distracting

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Man, they're really desperate to get people to subscribe to their crappy streaming service and NOT to unsubscribe. That's what they tried to do with the drip-feeding of the pointless short-Treks and now they're throwing in Picard, animated series, Section 31, who know what else. But while Klutzman is running things with his mates from BadReboot, you just know it will be as 'wonderful' as STD is!

4. Yes, but I have to be honest here that, depending on the show and mastering, 4K does indeed improve the experience. Of course when BD is upscale, it still looks quite nice.

5. I’d suggest judging each series on its own and not go in with any preconceptions. There will be different show runners for each series and, while Kurtzman is involved, it also discounts the group of talented people (like Bryan Fuller who worked on Ds9 and Voyager also creating/producing Pushing Dasies, Dead Like Me and Hannibal as well as American Gods) that put these shows together. It’s like discounting “The Silence of The Lambs” because Dino Delaurentiis was involved. You give each a fair chance without preconceptions rather than prejudge a series based on dislikes.

As to “crappy” streaming service, have you seen the other original programming? There’s at least two other worthwhile series on the network. When Netflix first started they had a limited group of series and s9me weren’t great. “The Good Fight” and “Strange Angels” were both excellent and critically acclaimed series. I would make a blanket judgment call just because you dislike the direction of one show. It’s unfair.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They're burned too many bridges (including the Jar Jar movies) for me to give that lot the benefit of doubt. STD S2 sounds just as terrible as S1 (now with more Orville influenced jokes). The only way I'd watch anything fully would be through good word of mouth, but not through access media glowing reports (like CBS owned Comicbook.com, et al).

7. Yeah I doubt it can make that much of a difference. I’ve seen him in the previews. He just doesn’t look like how I envision Spock. If he gives a great performance, I will be able to over look it.

8. Bad Robot had nothing to do with the prequels. While it was certainly different than most Trek before, I hardly found it terrible (although it was uneven). As to The Orville I enjoy the show but I don’t want a clone of Next Gen or Voyager in a Trek series. It’s worth while to take risks particularly with a franchise where there’s the potential t9 become moribund.

As to “burning Bridges most of the creative team with season two has nothing to do with the neu Trek, Star Wars or any other Bad Robot productions.

You don’t like it, don’t watch it. I dislike some of the seasons of “Voyager” but I still gave the series a chance and, much to my amazement, it got better.

9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Oh, crap! He's Spock? Not just a new Vulcan? My apologies. I misunderstood.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, they do, they're just not credited as such. It's well known that Klutzman, through his side production company, brought over the people that worked with Jar Jar on the movies (Trek 4 officially cancelled BTW). It's why they look the same and why they have no idea of what they're doing narratively. Let me fill you in a little on the whole sorry mess that this has been.

Back in STD S1 they said that there would be no Enterprise in the show and Spock would not be a part of it. By the time of the mid season break, it was clear that the show wasn't performing, so they panicked and decided to shoehorn in the Enterprise and now Spock as a cheap way to bring in 'the fans'.

As for S2, they shot the first 5 eps, then they had to reshoot them because they were so awful that the test audiences gave them an approval rating of 15%. That put them over budget but they blamed the showrunners and then fired them! Fired them!

So CBS now needed new funds to finish the season, so what did they do? They shot the silly short-Treks and wanted to sell them to Netflix for $30mil. Netflix laughed them out of the room, even after price reductions.

CBS were panicked now. They thought that when the DVD/Blus of S1 hit the market, that they would sell like hotcakes, but no, they did not.They can't give them away!

Klutzman & BadReboot are now hanging by a thread and may be on the way out. Insiders say that STD S2 must be massively successful (Game of Thrones level) or else they will be given their marching orders. So what to do? BadReboot is currently flooding the outlets with press releases about how totally awesome everything is! S3 is already planned out and there are lots of new shows in the works. But that's contingent on S2 going gangbusters.

However, no one is signing up for S2 on AllAcces, according to an insider. There is no buzz and no one seems to care. Signups for the paid service were in the low 100s, days out from start of S2. The free week to binge watch S1 was ignored by the masses. In Canada, the total viewership for S1 was 44,000 people.

Does that sound like anyone knows what they're doing and a recipe for success? Not to me.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Quit watching Midnight's Edge on Youtube. Bad for your health.

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Actually I am looking forward to S2. I liked S1 a lot, and I also really enjoyed Tell Me A Story on the sub. Yes CBS is heavy handed, all you hav3 to do is consider 5hat they do not allow their shows to run commercial free via the DVR service on YTTV, but considering that every one of my wife’s favorites is on CBS (NCIS).

I also absolutely hated the rebooted movies at first, but then just took them for another silly comic book movie and checked my brain at the door and let myself be entertained. I put them right there with the FF movies.

13. I’m not going to defend the early episodes that weren’t aired but every series can have issues. I’m always reminded of ST:TNG and even Voyager which also went through fine tuning as well. It’s Will8am Goldman’s first rule about Hollywood (God Rest His Soul), nobody knows anything and they don’t know what they don’t know (paraphrasing). Me? I’m fine with them bringing in early Trek characters (although I still feel that Bryan Singer’s “Federation” sounded like a much more interesting series). How popular a series is doesn’t indicate quality otherwise all of Michael Bay’s movies would be classics (and “Avatar” would be one of the greatest films ever made—it’s not, it’s mediocre recycling of other story elements with cool effects).

I suspect that there’s still not enough original series to attract CBS streaming (which is why they it on Amazon). Netflix also chose not to carry STD because of the cost of the series. Netflix had paid for the entire budget of the first season. I have no idea what the viewership is for Netflix nor CBS streaming Sometimes series find their legs after a shaky first season. It’s not just the show runners that matter but the quality of the work in the writers room.

I also think that Leslie Moovnes had too much input and, I suspect, that played a role in Fuller leaving the series. Is it a great series? No. does it have some potential? Sure.

As I said, judge the series on its own merits or lack thereof not necessarily. This reminds me of the kid who misbehaves in class where he’s never given a second chance.

Were arguing in a circle. You don’t like it. I get why but I also think think that you’re being minded to see what is on offer for season two. Try it and if you hate, it met what you expected or don’t but at least be informed on what the second season might be like before passing judgment.

greelywinger and Encuentro like this.
  14. Yeah, it will be interesting to see how he approaches the role. The actor is Gregory Peck’s grandson and supposedly has good acting chops but I can’t recall having seen him in anything. We will see. The casting for Pike is perfect for me.

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

In my opinion, many of the naysayers regarding STAR TREK: DISCOVERY simply say nay because they are rebelling against paying the fee for CBS AllAccess. And I get that - I don't want to tell anyone else how to spend their money. The All Access service is certainly not all it could be. And I agree with Wayne here that the series deserves to stand on its own and not be judged by its delivery method.

In terms of longevity, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY has a long way to go even to find its legs. The first "season" has only given us what? - 15 episodes? That's barely a half season in the old way of doing things, and not-quite two-thirds of a season in terms of TNG-era shows. I'm intrigued enough with the show to allow it to continue finding its way, because when it's good, it can be REALLY good. And as it finds its way, I think it can ultimately be great. I'm looking forward to watching S2 start this week.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Do you mean in closeups, when some actors have some kind of tic where their eyes keep flickering between the other actor and something else? I've seen that here and there for years, but didn't particularly notice it w/ Disco.

17. budwhite

It looks something like this. It's also very hard to tell the color of the eyes of many characters
    I think it was a poor choice from whoever was in charge. The eyes says a lot

[​IMG]

18. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

Not sure if it was mentioned here already, but there's a great book that's a prequel to ST:D called "Discovery: Desperate Hours". It's from David Mack, who also worked on at least one of the Section 31 books and really does a lot to fill out the relationship with Spock and Michael. The story is pretty well written and exciting to boot. The Section 31 spinoff should be interesting to watch as well. Sad to hear ST:D isn't catching on. given the massive fanbase.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I read it and enjoyed it.

Despite what some naysayers would have believe, Star Trek: Discovery is doing very well.

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. Brian Hoffman

On a side note, I was watching a great DS9 episode where they're being stalked by two Jem'Hadar ships in the heavy atmosphere of this planet (kind of reminiscent of the end of Wrath of Khan). After looking it up, it turns out David Mack was one of the writers. The guy definitely has a grasp on what makes Trek great.

Encuentro likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Short Treks is now available on Netflix outside of the U.S. and Canada. I really enjoyed the first two. Calypso stands apart from the rest and doesn’t include any of the series regulars. It has a Black Mirror vibe with an apparent 2001: A Space Odyssey influence. It takes place approximately 1,000 years after the events of Discovery. The main character, played by Michael Chabon, stumbles upon the abandoned Discovery floating in space. The Discovery’s computer has evolved to become sentient.
    Star Trek: Short Treks Is Finally Available on Netflix UK

budwhite likes this.
  22. Brian Hoffman

Yes! That was an excellent episode, and there was a Black Mirror vibe to it.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. budwhite

Thanks. Really hard to find if you don’t know where to look though.

Next to the tab “episodes”, you’ll find another tab called “trailers & more”. Click on this, and then scroll all the way to the right and – SUCCESS! – you’ll find four episodes: Runaway, Calypso, The Brightest Star, and Escape Artist.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Great start to the season. Many of the issues with the first season were corrected. My only complaint was I saw the death coming ten minutes before it happened.

Encuentro likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My wife watches CBS This Morning every morning, so I’m keeping CBS All Access for that reason alone, but Season One of Discovery was a bumpy ride. Sonequa Martin-Green is fantastic, but I don’t like the prequel concept, nor the way that the first season tried to reference every bit of Star Trek lore - Harry Mudd! The Klingons! The Mirror Universe! Not thrilled about adding Spock to the mix, but I’ll give S2 a try before giving up on the series altogether.