New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Indeed, according to this

'Star Trek: Discovery' Is One of Netflix's Most-Watched Family Shows of 2017

On Netflix it was their fourth most popular family show behind Stranger Things.

There will always be those who dislike something. If it’s not up to their standard or taste that’s fine they don’t have to watch. Despite some shaky episodes, ST: Discovery has an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. Granted that’s not the be and end all but critical response has been larger good.

Kurtzman who is one of the creative consultants on the show is like a lot of writers-he’s written crappy shows/films and good ones. He’s no Robert Towne or zwilliam Goldman but sometimes Towne and a Goldman weren’t themselves either writing the occasional bad film.

At least he is a Trek fan as well (something Abrams was not and it shows with his Star Wars Trek films).

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Eh, you realize that the 'source' of the article is comicbook.com which has been pumping out fake puff pieces about this because they need STD S2 to be mega successful? Why, I hear you say, would they care about that? Because CBS owns comicbook.com. You'll find similar fake articles on TVGuide.com, which coincidentally (not) is also owned by CBS! Read my previous analysis.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don’t need articles on websites to tell me that I like the show. The first episode this season was the most “classic” trek episode they’ve done.

I’ve been watching Star Trek since 1968 and this is the first series that I actually look forward to seeing what the next episode brings.

4. I agree.

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Caught the Season 2 premiere: Captain Pike is a vast improvement over Captain Lorca, but I’m not sure about the Red Angel, or whatever this year’s weird plot is. And can we please think of a new idea besides piloting the Enterprise through an asteroid debris field? Pretty sure they used this exact same device in the last Star Trek movie.

6. It wasn’t the Enterprise and it wasn’t just ordinary debris field though.

Spencer R likes this.
  7. It’s written by (acclaimed) writer Michael Charon but stars Aldis Hodge.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Oh, thank you for the clarification. I skimmed an article to get the actor’s name and made a mistake.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. Well there could be two Michael Chabons but when I saw the actor and read that Chabon (the author) had written the script, I realized it couldn’t be him because he’s not black.
    Pike is me of the uninvestigated major figures in the original Trek so this could be pretty cool.let’s see where the “red angel” leads us. I doubt it IS what it appears to be this is, after all, Star Trek.

Spencer R likes this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agreed. I also like the actor playing Pike more than the actor who played Lorca. Pike and Tilly
    brought some needed humor to the show in the season premiere.

DreadPikathulhu and wayneklein like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My pet peeve from this episode: just like in the original series, where, week after week, they always beamed down to the hostile planet Kirk, Spock, and McCoy - the three most important people on the ship - plus maybe two red shirts to “protect” them, with predictable results, on Discovery they decide, “hey, let’s send the captain and the first officer to pilot tiny ships through the asteroid belt! Great idea! Surely there’s no risk there!”

wayneklein likes this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's either that or make it the Ensign Ricky show.

Spencer R likes this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Pretty good start but way to flashy for my taste. This looked and had the same feeling as the reboot movie from 2009, much more than the first season had imo.

I don't know if Lorca is going to return or not. Being dead isn't usally a problem in a series like this. Maybe the real Lorca from this universe survived somehow... anyway, they should've kept Lorca alive instead of Georgiou at the end of last season. Much better actor and character.

Is Stamets leaving or not? I don't mind if he do. Didn't like him very much, nor his doctor friend.
    After watching Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise I realize how much I missed a good doctor in TNG and Discovery..

I liked the scope framing. I have a 2.35 screen and it does feel more like a movie this way. I don't think that I've ever seen a series in scope before.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Anson Mount looks great as Captain Pike. Spot on casting. I hope they they stick around with him for a while

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That’s why they established “away teams” on TNG, to keep the captain safe on the bridge while a trained team went to investigate. If they went with that prior to the events in the original series, it would violate canon.

wayneklein and Spencer R like this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

They are smart enough to teleport human beings from a spaceship to a planet’s surface, but not smart enough to figure out that teleporting the captain, first officer, and maybe two security guards onto a mystery hostile planet isn’t a good idea?

As for respecting the “canon,” in a series set ten years before the original series, they don’t just have warp drive, but also a gee-whiz-golly-wow “spore drive” that lets them instantly teleport the entire ship anywhere in the galaxy? Um, okay.

Deesky likes this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I suspect we're going to find out exactly why this wonderful invention isn't exactly mainstream. Couple shots of Tilly from the trailers indicate that she might find herself in a bad spot courtesy of the spores.

18. It’s a compromise that you would see with a drama. The audience wants to see the main characters be involved in the action, the actors want the screen time, you’re the studio and you’re paying the actors the big bucks so you want them out there as well. ST:TNG had the Gerrold rule which was that the Captainnever goes on away missions where his life could be threatened. Does it make sense? Sure. Is it dramatically more interesting to put the main characters imtodanger? Yep. You’ve confused something that is complete fiction with the logic of reality. David Gerrold made a good point and the writers were able to figure out a way to make this work. You either have to accept it and move on or not. I think that they did establish with TOS the precedent of the three main characters going on all of the away missions? Sure. You could just as easily criticiE the original series for that as well. You can either suspend your disbelief or not. Yes, it’s stupid but I give the show that bit of leeway.

19. The short Trek episode also suggested that they had to abandon ship which may have had something to do with all of this.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. I thought Lorca was kind of interesting and would like to see our universe version return or, rather, appear for the first time.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    DreadPikathulhu and budwhite like this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

You’re right. It’s still an absurd convention, which the writers satirized by having the cocky assistant to Pike die in the asteroid belt.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. I agree unfortunately, we just have to either acknowledge the absurdity, put on the seatbelts and ride or not go on the ride at all.

Taxman and Spencer R like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I like the
    I like Gerrold's model and I think it works for a number of reasons. It makes episodes with the captain on the away team seem less typical and therefore even more dramatic. In the regular episodes it allows the writers to highlight the regulars that need more screen time for their characters. That's part of the reason we got to see and care about the Next Generation characters so much. TOS Galileo 7 is loved for this very reason. It allowed us to see Spock's leadership abilities. Discovery can do the same thing.

sunspot42 and Spencer R like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, the sound quality of CBS All Access really sucks. We're watching it through Apple TV, and everything else there looks and sounds great. There's some phase **** in there I don't like. Lousy mix, kind of a wandering center-channel for dialogue.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Letting a few episodes build up before we start watching season 2.