New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

We have an Apple TV as well, and CBS All Access consistently has the worst picture quality compared to any other channel - Netflix, HBO, etc. During the first season of Discovery there were several occasions where new Discovery episodes wouldn’t stream at all, or were so buffered and choppy as to be unwatchable.

Vidiot and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I had the same issues with using CBS All Access directly with commercials. Then canceled bought it without commercials through Amazon Prime Video and it looks and sounds great now!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. electricmetaphor

electricmetaphor Forum Resident

we use CBS All Access through Roku TV and it's been fine every time!

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

CBS All Access on Apple TV has improved this season and I’ve been watching a few other shows as well with no problems. Hopefully the issues that plagued season 1 have been corrected. I do tend to watch Disco when it appears and is likely at peak viewers.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Haven't seen choppiness, but we have killer bandwidth at the house (960Mbps). But the audio is stunningly bad. They've got a deaf person in charge of this stuff. Everything else coming out of the Apple TV box sounds fine, so it's CBS All-Access, not Apple's fault. Maybe I'll try accessing CBS All-Access on another device.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think it’s CBS’s fault. When I live-stream sports or CBS This Morning on CBS All-Access, the video quality is frequently noticeably worse than the video on any other app and channel I watch on Apple TV.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I’ve noticed that NFL football and CBS This Morning have a prerecorded tape look to them, though they are live. I stream through a Roku. On the other hand, Colbert, Cordon, the Good Fight and STD which are prerecorded look fine to me, not worse than other channels.

Spencer R likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I kind of liked the first episode of season 2. It didn't have long periods of subtitles to understand Klingon diatribe and and Michael Burnham's shell shocked love interest was nowhere to be seen. It's hardly Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek but it could be a lot worse.

David Campbell likes this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

People are saying it's better through Prime - has to be the $9.99 commercial free version though, I think.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I signed up through Prime (because I read it was 5.1), and watch via Apple TV 4K. So far, I've only watched the Short Treks episodes. The sound is horrible. It's like there are old sweaters stuffed in the speakers. It's a shame, but most people don't care about audio, I think.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

Another great episode, very much in the classic Trek style but with modern serial elements. I’m glad the other bridge members are staring to become real people.

12. Dr. Pepper

I've noticed this too! Smart how the had Pike ask them all their names, so we could be reminded. Also many have had costume and make-up upgrades that all seem to be improvements.

Linger63 likes this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

Detmer is getting some good lines and they took Owosekun on the away mission where she actually made a contribution.

There seems to be more focus on Airiam, though the character looks somewhat different than she used to. IMDB lists two actors playing the character so maybe something is up?

14. Dr. Pepper

Man, I love Pike and the way he is written! This might be my favorite version of Star Trek since TOS. Almost cried twice in this episode, silly old man that I am.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Linger63 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

New actress. The original actress appeared out of makeup in the first episode of season 2 as a different-named character:
    Nilsson.jpg

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, it's a nice balancing act. They did that a bit last season as well.

I'd like to see some of these side characters shine a bit more as the season progresses. I didn't even remember the names posted above and had to Google them.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Interesting commentary about Clarke's third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." It reminds me of the TNG episode Who Watches the Watchers in which Picard is believed to be a god because the civilization the crew of the Enterprise comes into contact with doesn't understand the Enterprise's technology.

Linger63 likes this.
  18. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I didn't like the episode because of the way it depicted people of faith as fools. Trek has commented on religion more subtly in the past (for instance, the TOS episode "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"). Also, I just can't see Spock needing to be in a psych unit.

19. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Finally decided to start binge watching Discovery this week... And I don't get the hate. Make no mistake the show has its problems and the first few episodes weren't that great but I'm on episode 12 and I'm liking it quite a bit. The people having a conniption fit over this show make me scratch my head. People say things like "This is not Gene Roddenberry'' Star Trek!". Well..I hate to break it to them that it hasn't been Gene's Star Trek since 1981 and Wrath of Khan, and pretty much everything done after that until he passed away he hated with a capital "H", yes including Wrath of Khan itself.

Some of the criticism is valid. I really wish this series wasn't another prequel. The design of the Klingions are weird and I'm not a fan of the idea of Spock having a secret unknown "sister". (I thought it was a bad idea that he had a unmentioned half brother way back in 1989, but I digress). However, some of the other stuff people bring up is borderline asinine.

Need I remind people the celebrated Next Generation series was with a few exceptions, was frankly pretty bad for the first two and a half seasons. (Seasons mostly ran by Gene,btw) Half way through season 3 it started to improve , and Voyager and Enterprise was pretty spotty over their runs, especially the later. I think Discovery is doing pretty well all things considered.

Is It "my" Star Trek? No. My Star Trek will always be the original series and TNG post season 2 and the first 8 movies. But does it have to be "my" Star Trek? No. What's wrong with someone else having their Star Trek?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Dr. Pepper, sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

I think the first couple of episodes from season two bode well for Discovery being maybe everybody's Star Trek.

David Campbell likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

I'd forgotten about Sybok. I wonder if they'll address that or leave him forgotten?

22. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I'd rather forget him unless they can do something interesting with him. Maybe make him a rival to Michael perhaps?

Frankly though Star Trek V as a whole is probably best forgotten....

sunspot42 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

I difinately think he is best forgotten, but amzingly I trust the writers of this series enough to go along with whatever they think is best. I'm all in!

24. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I forgot about Sybok too - though 5 is a film I try not to recall too much.

25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I LIKE PIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spencer R and Encuentro like this.