New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The first season of TNG is "dull and boring", the second marginally better. Both DS9 and Voyager took the template that was established after the second season for their own spin on the concept, but they all come from the same late 80s/early 90s aesthetic and that's what most people seem to think of when they think about "Star Trek".

Enterprise tried to do someting different and update the series for the 2000s, but there were better science-fiction shows on the air at the time that blew it out of the water, and the adjustments made in the fourth season weren't enough to keep it on the air.

sunspot42 and budwhite like this.
  2. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Actual enjoy a lot the first the 2 seasons.

coffeetime likes this.
  3. I've been re-watching the animated series on Netflix and I'm surprised by how good it is. Spock (as a youngster) has a pet dog-like animal in an early episode, it would have been cool to see it referenced in Discovery.

coffeetime likes this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

Spock's pet sehlat I-Chaya is currently being cared for by his half-brother Sybok.

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I just caught up to the eipsode where they rescue the doctor from the “mycelial network,” which combined my two biggest problems with the show into one episode: 1) What’s the point of having characters die, when no one ever really dies on this show? It’s cheap and manipulative to exploit a character’s death only to have them magically re-appear. 2) I can deal with pseudo-science, but the magic mushroom network really makes zero sense, as did having the Enterprise jump half-in, half-out of it.

skimminstones, Shawn and Deesky like this.
  6. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

The character we knew as Culber has most definitely died, as Stamets is (ahem) discovering. He is someone else now.

7. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Indeed, and let's face it 'coming back from the dead, or what appeared to be dead' is nothing new for Star Trek. This time though as you rightly stated it looks like there is a payoff.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Yes. There was a character, I'm struggling to remember his name, in one of the films - was it Speck? Or Spack?

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Everybody has to decide if certain Trek series or episodes are satisfactory or not. However, I wouldn't compare a new series with one of the most highly regarded episodes in all of Trek, like 'In the Pale Moonlight.' Who knows, Discovery might produce one of those iconic episodes.

sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Need to give a Star Trek series at least two, three or four seasons before a fair comparrison with the old series

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Whereas I just found it entertaining and fun to watch. :)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

You can copy something perfectly physically but there is more to any living creature than that. You have to know why something is as it is.

Is he a bit perfect copy...probably not.

This is where sometimes even reverse engineering/copying mechanical devices falls flat. You don't get the insight of the designer and why something was built that way. Taking short cuts always has a price.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I watched several of them last year (hadn't seen them in 35+ years) and was surprised at how good a lot of them were for a 'kids cartoon'.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Wouldn't that also apply to every time someone uses a transporter? There have been a few episodes throughout the franchise with transporter malfunctions resulting in personality or identity issues, but doesn't canon claim by and large that the person rematerializing is the one having been dematerialized?

sunspot42 and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Who knows, just a TV show. :confused:

Just throwin' it out there...

RolandG likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

Best episode of the season and a surprising ending (I really expected Pike to come up with a solution). I’m really liking Peck’s Spock - I wish he were a series regular.

17. DreadPikathulhu

Some second thoughts

To learn that Airiam is a cybernetically augmented accident victim and to show her well respected and with many friends among the crew, only to kill her off is a waste of what could have been a favorite character for those of us with disabilities.

Encuentro, lambfan68 and Shawn like this.
  18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I thought it was the worst episode of the season or pretty close to it.

I've been waiting for some backstory on Airiam since the beginning of the show. To kill her off in the same episode that we finally got a little character development was stupid. I felt nothing when she died. And of course you can never be sure when a character is really dead anyway.

19. DreadPikathulhu

I still think it was a pretty great episode but....
    Why couldn't Pike beams Airiam out of space after she was flushed out of the airlock? She could have been sent directly to the brig and while a solution to her virus was found she could have provided some information about Control and served as an Ilia-like ambassador.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    JohnBeas likes this.
  20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Well, she did download all her memories, so I suspect we may see more of her down the line.

John K

Shawn likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

One thing that's missing from the series so far is the computer voice. That could be a return?

22. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I do like a happy ending ... :cry:

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That was a very disappointing turn of events.
    From afar, Airiam was one of the most interesting characters of the series. She was interesting in that I wanted to know more about her. She was a character with a backstory, and she had a tremendous amount of potential. She could have had a long, fascinating, emotional character arc. After nearly two seasons, she finally got her episode. They just started to scratch the surface, teasing us with a potentially powerful backstory. And they kill her off?! What the hell! That was the worst move they could have made with her character. I don't understand it at all. We didn't get a chance to become emotionally invested in her character. We didn't get a chance to see her build relationships with the other characters. Yet, they all breakdown and cry when she's ejected from the airlock. Imagine how that moment would have played if we had actually had some time to get to know her, to know her backstory and what brought her to that moment in time. Imagine how that moment would have played if we had had a chance to see her develop relationships with the other characters. But no. It was like a Cliff's Notes version of her potential character arc. Scratch the surface; tease us with a potentially powerful character arc, and blow her out the airlock. Unbelievable! What a wasted opportunity. What a waste of a fascinating character.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Same here. Airiam was a character that did nothing for me. Just a weird creepy robot for the sake of being weird. And when they finally gave it something to do I didn't care. I hope that it stays gone

I thought the episode was one of the weaker.
    It didn't really go anywhere. Filler.
    Frakes directed it, not his fault that he had a problematic script to work with...

Man, I had high hopes after last weeks great visit on Thalos IV.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019