New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Is this the first time in Star Trek that we’ve seen an all-female away team?

2. No one stays dead on this show so I’m guessing she’ll be back.

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Honestly, looong time Star Trek fan, but of the the various series dozens of seasons and hundreds of episodes, this season of Discovery may be the very best! Certainly for me the most emotional by far, I've never cried during any Star Trek episode that I can remember, but this season almost every episode brings a tear to my eye in the best possible way. The writing, acting, directing, and story lines have been unbelievably wonderful. This episode was the best directed of the series, imo. 10 out of 10 for me, but still not my favorite of the season, shows how strong the season has been and continues to be!

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm having big problems with the fact that every time Burnham in on an away mission she's giving every one else orders as if she's the highest ranking member of the team instead of the lowest (after being court martialed at the beginning of the first season).

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not human, not Vulcan: "Spork".

Meng likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Pike chose her to lead the landing party in this most recent episode. Apparently Lorca's field reinstatement of rank is still in play.

7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Burnham's rank is Commander. She was issued a pardon and fully reinstated in Starfleet in the last episode of Season One.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The very first scene of this series in the Season One pilot had females Michael Burnham and Capt. Georgiou on an away mission together.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  9. Maybe either way I’m happy to see them developing her and other characters for the bridge crew for the show for the secondary plot line.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Dr. Pepper likes this.
  10. I disagree. I think they gave the character an interesting background and, as was said, her memories were saved. Bringing her back would at to that story arc. There’s no way to tie that backstory into the over all season arc for proper resolution either but this does set up a dynamic — if she is more than the sum of her memories, if they bring her back, is she still the same being?

Dr. Pepper and Encuentro like this.
  11. Wasn’t it mentioned that there was a field around the station preventing them from reading life signs. Would that prevent them from beaming anyone off (we didn’t see if the away team beamed on or took a shuttle. My guess is it was the shuttle and that scene didn’t make the final cut)?

Once she is out there Discovery could scoop her up but, at that point, she may no longer have enough oxygen for her brain to sustain her.

12. But aren’t they already exploring this with Doctor Culber?

13. Yes but from a slightly different perspective.

14. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Question (plot hole). ... why didn’t they just beam her out of the airlock directly to the brig?

15. From my previous post

16. BeatleJWOL

That and beaming her to the brig runs the risk of starting the whole scenario over again. They had to neutralize the threat.

Encuentro and wayneklein like this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, Burnham suggested beaming her to the brig. The idea was rejected. I believe that Airiam herself said that it was too dangerous.

BeatleJWOL and wayneklein like this.
  18. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

So... who is the red angel? Michael? Airium? Tilly?

Also...season 2...are we witnessing to origin of the Borg?

Encuentro likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing about the Borg.

20. BeatleJWOL

I don't find that likely. Canonically speaking, we see the El-Aurians (Guinan's people) escaping from a Borg attack in the 2290s, only 40 years past Discovery's 2250s setting. I find it unlikely that the entire race would have originated only four decades before. Additionally, the TNG episode Q Who features Guinan mentioning that her people encountered the Borg "a century ago" and that they've been developing "for thousands of centuries". The second statement could be taken as assumption but the first statement seems most likely to be correct.

Encuentro likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Which is why I defer to people more knowledgeable on the subject than myself. I was going to post about a possible Borg connection a day or two ago but decided against it, as I'm not familiar enough with Borg history in canon.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

I personally enjoy the fan theory that the planet of cybernetic beings that the Voyager probe encountered, turning it into V'Ger, was the Borg homeworld. I want to say Roddenberry gave some credence to that at some point but I'm not sure.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Well it would be interesting if he did since he didn't invent the Borg. That said, this isn't the Borg. They've mentioned that this "race" destroys all sentient biologic life something the Borg never did.

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Well, since the Red Angel is something that has come back from the future, the only thing that enters my mind is the character of "Daniels" from ENTERPRISE. Now THAT would tie all of the generations together!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Up until the twist at the end, I was thinking
    ”How can you trap your future self, when future self already knows how it turns out!”

jeroemba, Shawn and Encuentro like this.