New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's possible that were Burnham the red angel all along, she would have to end up there because that would be the end of her timestream, closing the loop.

Clearly they didn't go this way.

Basically stole my reaction tonight from Tilly, mid-episode: "What just happened??"

2. I kind of figured it was going to be one of her parents particularly with the big reveal about who was behind their fate and the fact that they werefocused so much on what happened to them in this episode

3. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Even with the twist at the end, how can you be stupid enough to make a plan to capture your future self, when future self already knows how it turns out!

budwhite likes this.
  4. From a common sense perspective, yes but, because they were putting her in jeopardy that, no matter what even if to stop it from occurring, they knew that, because of casualty, that she would have to show up and either prevent it from happening or save her. Either one would have worked. Even knowing that was going to occur, you have no choice but to, somehow, prevent it from happening. Otherwise, there would be no future self. Either way, that was a Trojan Horse with a different result.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Tilly could have brought the information directly to Pike and Section 31 and left Michael out of it. The plan could have been carried out without Michael's knowledge. Yes, they would need to capture Michael and use her, which would have come across as monstrous. It would have made for a very interesting twist if we, the audience, didn't know what they were up to when they captured and held Michael against her will and exposed her to the atmosphere, only to discover their motive for doing it. But even as I'm typing this, I'm realizing that that would have been far too sinister for someone like Pike to be a part of or to allow. I can see Section 31 doing something like that but not Pike and the crew of Discovery. Still, Michael believing she has foreknowledge of what is to come just raises too many questions regarding the efficacy of the plan.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

Everybody's on board that this is an insane plan. The fact that they elected to go for it anyway shows how wild things are getting onboard Discovery.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

You can tell that the show has switched showrunners a couple of times. And how much was really plotted out before? The writing is all over the place.
    Airiam and the section 31 with Burnham's parents feels like a new thing they came up with for example.

The red angel doesn't make much sense and it's been dragged out for too long.

I hope they map out the next season way better.

And Georgio leading a whole new upcoming series isn't a great idea at all. Her character is badly written. She should have stayed in the mirror universe

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Deesky likes this.
  8. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Wow.

It's not often I disagree with everything someone posts, but here we are.

DreadPikathulhu and Dr. Pepper like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yep, to me this is the best season of Star Trek since TOS season 1!

Giant Hogweed and Meng like this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

It seems all but official that we will be getting a Pike, Number One, and Spock Enterprise centered series. I think it's title should be simply Star Trek.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You think so? I would welcome it, but I've not heard much to suggest the possibility.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Oh I do like it. I just think that some of the Red Angel stuff was pretty weak. And I don't like Georgiou. I think it's weird that they brought this Hitler person over to our universe and now she can move around and even works for the federation

13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

If CBS is determined to flood us with Trek - which they seem to want to do - this would seem logical (sic).

It would make more sense of the all-too-brief appearance of Rebecca Romjin in Disco.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Exactly, there is no way you get an actress of her level to do a couple of scenes. Also the Enterprise would take a lot of work to create in that detail, and they are just going to use it for one episode, right.:D

Meng likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

It looks like the smaller streaming services are realizing that if they have around a half dozen 15 episode or so series and they release a new episode each week, they can have new material for viewers 52 weeks a year.

This makes it far less likely that folks binge their shows then drop their service. DC Universe is already doing this to great effect with Titans, Young Justice, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, and Star Girl.

CBS All Access is headed this way, and Disney + streaming service looks like they too might go this way with their series Scarlet Witch and The Vision, Winter Soldier and The Falcon, Loki, etc.

Meng likes this.
  16. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I would love to see a Pike centric ST series.

17. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I just beamed in from the music board to see what everyone thought of this season because I'm really not enjoying it with the exception of a couple of episodes.
    I liked season 1 a lot. Probably my fave Trek since the 60's but season 2 is not doing it for me at all. It all seems very messy with a lot of very poorly contrived "emotional" content.
    Watched the most recent episode last night and Airiam's funeral was a complete barf-fest.

On the positive side, Pike and Spock are both excellent. I must admit I was worried about their introduction but the latter in particular is a major credit because taking over a part like that could be a disaster.
    Other friends of mine who enjoyed season 1 have already abandoned ship. Having come this far I'll probably watch the rest of this season but I'm not sure I'll carry on beyond that.

budwhite likes this.
  18. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

Is anyone else having trouble watching this week's episode ? I've had my video freeze several times, with the "video unavailable" message popping up twice. It took almost half an hour just to reach the opening credits. CBS claims that they want their service to be the best but seriously? This sort of thing is something they've had well over a year to fix. I've said it before and will say it again. I really wish the episodes were available as downloads every week.

19. BeatleJWOL

The video was up early but took about 20 minutes to load for me; once I got it working it played fine all the way through. Running the CBS All Access dedicated app on a Roku 2 using Spectrum internet.

I've heard other people reporting issues but not recently.

20. I’d love it but Anson is only signed for the single season.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

Seems this week's episode had lots of technical issues for many.

I used to have lots of issues, but when I switched to get CBS All Access as a sub channel of Amazon Prime I have never had another issue ever.

wayneklein and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Yes, a single season on the Discovery! How many seasons is he signed up for on the Enterprise? No one knows, but there is no way they haven't been aware of Pike's popularity and done something to keep control of the situation. Pun intended

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

For one reason or another, I just didn't feel like watching DISCOVERY last night. I'm glad I skipped it, reading of the technical issues. Earlier this afternoon, we sat down to watch it and it played through with no issues at all. I've gotten less comfortable trying to watch it at the exact moment of roll-out. It's better to wait a day or so.

Oh, and what is it with the sound on this show? It's barely intelligible. I thought it was my home theater setup, but I watched a part of last week's episode on my computer with good headphones and it still sounded like crap. It's all midrange-y and distorted within that range. And then this Michael character whispers all of her lines most of the time. I've given up trying to understand Michelle Yeoh.

24. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Not sure how you are watching it, but for me the streaming (on xbox one) through the amazon prime video app sounds many times better than through the CBS native app (and is in surround sound unlike the CBS native app)

wayneklein likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

CBS’s app on my Apple TV is the only app that regularly freezes and/or drops to dial-up video quality. No other streaming service I subscribe to has anything like the problems CBS does.