New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

At some point during the past several years in one of his rare interviews, Steve also alluded to the idea that he missed working the Neal and theoretically would want to collaborate with him again. It is probably unlikely, but not something to rule out entirely.

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

A reminder of why Steve Perry is known as "The Voice".

A truly remarkable performance (wait until the end!) :

3. artfromtex

One thing I learned about rock n' roll, never say never!!

longdist01 likes this.
  4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

This performance is definitely one of the greats, and I assume familiar to everyone snooping this thread. :) Boy did I wear out my home recorded VHS of this show. I just started Jr. High and watched it every day after school for quite a while. In fact I never knew that it was Steve doing a falsetto at the end of Mother Father until I saw this show. I think I assumed it was a keyboard.

5. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I do not blame him for doing it, but it was Steve that gave them the success, and prior to him being in the band and after he left, they just do not shift albums.
    They make money with gigs.
    Steve really has that special something, it’s rare but he has it.
    It’s why Neal is so vocal about wanting to work with Steve again,he knows now what they had.

LittlePearl and OptimisticGoat like this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I agree with all of this and anyone familiar with Journey would, too.

However I feel this has no bearing on using the name or not.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    OptimisticGoat and Talisman954 like this.
  7. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Its never been the same group without him. If they didn't need him, how come every replacement singer in Journey is attempting to be a Steve Perry clone? That said I wish him luck on his return.

8. artfromtex

It's amazing. The first time I heard "Wheel In The Sky" on the Captured CD, my jaw dropped to the floor. I could not believe what I was hearing Steve do behind the guitar solo. That CD made me a Journey super fan.

Until I bought that album my senior year ('91) my entire Journey collection was a lone Frontiers cassette. I bought Captured on a fateful trip to Camelot Music and I was hooked on Journey and Steve Perry forever more.

9. Talisman954

I do think it does damage the legacy.
    Like Steve said in that Behind The Music episode, he asked Jon and Neal to start a group, call it what you want, but do not damage our legacy.
    They ignored him and shut the door forever, IMO had they called it a different name like they did with Bad English, then the real Journey would have got back together.
    People that are not as obsessed with music might not know Perry was no longer in the group, they purchase the new album and are left disappointed and won’t purchase again.
    Perry was the quality control, if you look at the tracks they put out after,almost none of them would have made the cut for a Journey album involving Steve.
    Have they ever put out a song nominated for a Grammy since? When You Love A Woman was, and IMO it one of his finest ever vocal performances.
    TBF was patchy but it did have 4/5 fantastic songs,the stuff put out after Steve really don’t.
    Steve is a perfectionist and it shows in the end product he puts out.
    They have kept the name alive with concerts,and fair play to Arnel he has been a good stand in,but if they were ever going to retain a singer it should have been JSS because that dude has written some great songs and has a killer voice.
    Hiring a clone damages the legacy.
    Just like Foreigner will always be taken seriously with Lou as the lead, Journey is the same with Steve.

LittlePearl, OptimisticGoat and Gezza like this.
  10. SteveMac

SteveMac Forum Resident

It actually reminds me of the Capt. Fantastic cover, with so much going on.

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Exactly!

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought the signed vinyl package. I don’t know if I’m expecting miracles - probably not, but it’s just nice to see him back after 20 years. I was at the RRHOF ceremony - it was a great moment, but it was very clear that Steve was getting closure. I think a surprise appearance might be possible, but there is no way he would rejoin the band at this stage.

As for the current version of Journey? They’re doing something right, because the fans keep going to those live shows, year after year. People just love those songs.

15. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I heard his interview with Trunk and I have to say he is really a humble down to earth guy.
    I wish him nothing but the best.
    Love pre Perry Journey but Infinity is one hell of an album with Roy Thomas Baker at the helm.
    RTB took Queen and Cars to the top shelf.
    Lights/Feel that way/Anytime is a 3 punch knockout......:bdance:

16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I was also hung-up on getting that signed blue one, but after just spending $90 on the yellow a little hesitant. I thought about it on and off yesterday and now again this morning.
    Was almost hoping they were sold out when I looked this morning, but no, still available.
    So I casually showed my wife his merch site and ask her if she care's if I get the signed blue. Guess what?? She said she didn't care.
    Now I just pulled the trigger on a blue one to compliment the yellow, and my wife has just gone clothes shopping. A win-win. Everyone's happy!

artfromtex and masterbucket like this.
  17. Don't agree with this assessment.

That's more politics than anything else. There were a number of very worthy Journey songs on both albums with Steve Augeri. While Arnel probably sounds a bit better than Augeri live, I'd say the two albums with him are a little worse than the ones with Augeri.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I haven’t heard any of those albums, but I remember being shocked by the success of the first album with Arnel. Then, they released another one that totally bombed, and I think Neal said something like the fans don’t want new music. What happened? Was there that big a dip in quality? Of did the first one just sell on the heels of the publicity about Arnel’s hiring?

Another question. I just saw that Journey and Def Leppard are playing AT&T Stadium - seriously, how is that even possible?

19. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Again, I'm not disagreeing with on what Steve Perry meant to the band. Nobody can deny that or ever take it away.

Giving up the name, however, is an entirely different matter whether it be morally or legally.

Personally I think Schon has been able to keep the Journey name out there and has done a great job of doing so. They still pack it in and entire new generations are experiencing these songs for the first time.

Jimmy Agates and Talisman954 like this.
  20. Talisman954

It wasn’t politics it’s was the product.
    Steve Augeri v Steve Perry. Cmon now.
    One is a rock n roll legend probably the greatest singer ever, the other ended up working for the GAP.
    The material released post Perry is just bang average.
    Just my opinion.

21. Talisman954

You make some valid points.

22. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

Do these Journey debates really matter? Isn't that another thread? I'm sure no one means any harm, but it isn't getting us anywhere.

Steve Perry is releasing new music. Let's talk about how cool that is and celebrate it!

23. Talisman954

I agree!!!

Exile On My Street likes this.
  24. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

You know what? If Steve Perry didn't have a history of being flaky, unreliable, and self-centered, I would agree with you.

But look at what happened during the "Raised On Radio" sessions. Look at what happened after the 1986 tour. Look at what happened in 1997-98. You take all of those things into account and then ask yourself, "Does this seem like a guy that we can count on to get back together with us after we do another Bad English album?"

A band cannot exist when the other members are being held hostage by the whims of one member. Otherwise it's just the Steve Perry Project.

25. With regard to the to the final two albums, I'd agree. For the two with Augeri, I'd say they were quite good (better than Trial By Fire, which had the Grammy nomination).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.