New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Seems that is the model of this store front to generate multiple album sales. They are handling Billy Gibbons upcoming release also and doing the same thing with the multiple colored versions of vinyl.

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

He was nearly a recluse before he was fired from Journey. I have a very, very, very hard time believing that he would have suddenly changed if Schon and Cain had agreed to wait back in 1998. People rarely change.

I also have a hard time believing that anything Schon & Cain did would have an effect on Perry's life. Steve Perry has not allowed Schon & Cain to dictate any part of his life since 1984.

When Perry asked Schon & Cain to wait for him back in 1998, they had to base their decision on what they knew of Perry's personality. Was he going to be the guy who made the band wait in 1984?; who insisted on near-complete control of the band in 1985?; who caused the band to break up in 1987; who virtually disappeared from the spotlight from 1987-1994; who was flaky about a commitment in 1996? Or was he suddenly going to do something that he hadn't done since 1983 (be 100% committed to Journey)?

Schon & Cain evaluated their options and chose not to wait. And based on what Perry has done over the past 20 years (which was basically the same as what he'd done from 1987-1994), they made the right call.

If Schon & Cain had agreed to wait in 1998, they would still be waiting in 2018.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i think i was.

4. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I had totally forgotten about the hip injury story. It is quite interesting that this has not been brought up in any of the interviews I have heard online over the last week since the new album announcement. I wonder if Steve's people are advising interviewers to not bring it up.

krock2009 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is common for PR representatives to give interviewers a list of questions and topics not to be discussed. Perry has a reputation for being very controlling about his career, so it would not be surprising if there are off-topic areas. That said, Perry seems relatively unguarded in his recent interviews.

ptijerm, krock2009 and Echoplex like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

I do not entirely disagree. That said, he worked consistently through 1994 - 1997, with a solo album, solo tour, and Journey album. If it is true that he simply suffered a serious injury that prevented him from touring and asked for additional time, based on the extent of his then activity, there is no guarantee that he was of the mindset to walk-away. Obviously Schon and Cain interpreted it differently and ultimately made a sensible decision, one that could not have been easy.

Of course, the narrative Perry is currently promoting is that he was burnt out and walked away, which if really dissected, does not make sense because he was largely inactive between 1987 - 1994, aside from some unrealized session work. What seems more likely based on the timeline is that Perry indeed took considerable time away after "Raised On Radio," felt reinvigorated for a time, made a solo album during the 1993/1994 period and decided to continue with the momentum and agreed to reform Journey, but then ultimately realized he did not have it in him to fully commit to Journey (whether he actually suffered a serious injury seems to be up for debate). He certainly was not burnt out from 20 years of constant activity.

Jimmy Agates, krock2009 and Echoplex like this.
  7. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

I agree with a lot of what has been said regarding Perry’s non-committal attitude toward his ex-bandmates.

Being in a band and being committed to it is a two-way street. There has to be give and take in order for it to work. And to be fair to Schon & Cain, Perry has demonstrated multiple times since the end of the Frontiers tour that he is not really a team player in that sense. I think the reasons are many....partly out of not wanting to tour relentlessly, partly out of personnel/interpersonal dynamics within the band, and certainly with Herbie Herbert’s management style at the time. And then, to add more complexity into the fray, add all of his own personal issues going on at the time. He couldn’t deal, so he bailed.

And for the record, I’m not here to denigrate any of them, Herbie included. They all contributed their skills and talents to Journey and made it what it was. But, when you think about it all on a deeper level, the real friendships that have endured are Neal, Herbie and Greg Rollie. Where it all started originally.

Steve Perry? Not so much. I think he looks back on all of it with fond memories mostly, but the fact is, he never came into Journey from a place of true friendship. He came in as a hired-gun to fill a spot, and then had to prove himself. And when you put it all in context, that’s kind of how he’s treated it ever since.

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Street Talk came out my senior year in high school, which was such a majestic time that it's tied to a lot of great memories making it one of my all time favorites. Doesn't hurt that it's so wonderfully recorded, mastered etc. So my opinion of it is greatly influenced by everything surrounding it so I'm tremendously biased.

9. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I think you just answered your own question. :) Rainbow = red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet and indigo.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Nicely stated. I think it is interesting that Steve has been publicly complimentary towards Herbie in recent years, particularly considering he must be aware of some of the very damaging statements Herbie has made toward Steve in various interviews over the past 15 years. Perhaps Steve truly has matured and worked through some of his issues and demons and has been able to take the highroad and forgive Herbie to an extent. One wonders what Herbie thinks (or thought of Steve's public thank you to Herbie at the HoF induction) at this point, or if he is still bitter?

11. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

Thanks. I’ve often wondered this myself...

Personally, I think very highly of Herbie Herbert. I think he was a tireless work-a-holic; a very Type-A, no nonsense, get it done type of guy. I admire that. I really do, because Journey was his baby and he made it happen, for all of them.

I think your right in that Perry has come around in recent years to realize that he was very lucky to get that call from Herbie, and for all that he did for the band.

Distance sometimes provides a little more perspective and appreciation.

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Purely guessing here, and I remember the "hip" story well too, but I think having to sing those songs like he did when he was at his prime night in and night out probably weighed heavily too.

Perry scaled some high vocal peaks in the late 70's - mid 80's and having to replicate that was probably near impossible for him to do in 97 (and today).

He wasn't/isn't the most secure guy and I'm betting he had some anxiety just thinking about hitting the road again. Better to walk away/get fired while on top.

13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Strange how things go. First I was concerned with his voice, now carpal tunnel. :)

LittlePearl, Jimmy Agates and carlwm like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, Herbie Herbert thought Perry was aware of his in-concert vocal limitations and decided he could not commit to touring. Even now, it does not appear Steve has serious plans to tour behind this new album.

Echoplex likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

Herbie was one of best managers in rock history.

Echoplex likes this.
  16. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

Without a doubt!

17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The organization that he assembled was not only top notch, but groundbreaking in terms of logistics. He wrote the book on high-tech stadium touring. Big screens on the side, improved sound, etc. Those things were in play for single shows, but no one had a touring rig that was as state of the art as Journey.

Michael Jackson used all of Journey's crew for his Bad tour. The Rolling Stones' early 80's stadium show was a Mickey Mouse affair compared to Journey, from a technical standpoint.

Echoplex likes this.
  18. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

That's my wife's name. I always get that(look) when the song comes on. She hates it. My ex wife's name was Jenny so you can imagine her love for Tommy Tutone!

19. milo

milo Forum Resident

I've been a Steve Perry/Journey fan all my life. I'm really looking forward to this new album. I just found out today that there is a deluxe edition with five additional tracks, I went to Target.com but it is already sold out. So I pre-ordered it from his website, don't want to miss out! I'll check my local Target on the day of release, if they have them in stock I'll probably pick one up anyway. It never hurts to have two!

LittlePearl likes this.
  20. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Agreed. Raised On Radio is an amalgam of the more soul stuff on Street-talk, the melodic Cain stuff and still some selectively blistering Schon solos. It’s a very different beast to Frontiers though. I guess what I am trying to say is that Perry writes for vocal melody and when he is in a band the needs and influences of other writers surround that with other interesting stuff which improves the song.

carlwm likes this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with that! :righton:

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I struggle with Raised on Radio. Just seems bland to me. Have friends who regard it as Journey's best album though so it's probably just too different from the classic sound for my own personal taste.

deredordica and OptimisticGoat like this.
  23. manco

manco Forum Resident

There are only 7 good Journey/Perry songs.

carlwm likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

Many people on this thread will disagree.

LittlePearl, artfromtex and bru87tr like this.
  25. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I just purchased the deluxe green vinyl. It's nice to see that the album is selling so well.

sa5150 and bru87tr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.