New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Was the green supposed to be much more limited than the real?

2. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I have tried so hard to get into this album but it is so dreary. I put it on and in 30 seconds I'm switching the song or ejecting the CD because how many times can I listen to "I miss her" "I can't believe she's gone" on and on and on. Sorry, I know he lost someone special in his life but it's just not for me.

Rated-R-Ron and carlwm like this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

There was no teal. The tea green color they got wrong and more of a teal/green.

4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

It was advertised and depicted on the site to be marbled green and they just arbitrarily shipped a solid teal green color instead. In effect, they shipped something different than advertised and made no effort to resolve the error. :disgust:

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Got it. That would be disappointing.

bru87tr likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I just received mine last week - took a while to reach Tokyo. Vinyl was kind of a blue marble, and came with a signed album cover, and a ton of "Steve Perry" logo stuff that I will never use. My wife was looking at the turntable mat, keychain and socks (which are listed on the invoice as "black socks" but are really garish multi-colored little things), and asked me "why would you buy this?" I can't remember, but I assume it was the only way to get a signed jacket. Oh well, looking forward to listening to the album tomorrow

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I emailed them to see if an update.

8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I too emailed them again this morning since they failed to respond my original email from a few weeks ago. Not only is mine teal, but both lps are severely warped. All very annoying to not have my email acknowledged. Hopefully the 2nd attempt will work!

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Bummer they were warped too. A lot of people mention how flat, as mine were.

Usually that's my luck.

Its good more than one person emails and complain.

10. rushed again

Yes, this was the only way to get it signed.

11. rushed again

Certainly dreary. @Talisman954 comment about Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely fits but it's Steve Perry's version.

12. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Good news for us who ordered the green marble vinyl. I just received this email:

Thank you for your order of the green tree marble deluxe edition of 1000. If you are receiving this email, you were shipped a green vinyl deluxe edition.

The green vinyl deluxe edition was manufactured with the same exacting standards as the other deluxe Traces vinyl editions. It sounds fantastic. However, the vinyl manufacturer misunderstood the order and proceeded with a green edition without marbling.

The vinyl manufacturer wants the best possible solution for the Steve Perry fans. They have offered to manufacture a green tree marble edition, which will be shipped to you, for no additional charge

We anticipate your new green tree marble vinyl will SHIP to you during the week of DECEMBER 10. Sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime, enjoy the green vinyl edition previously shipped.

Thank you again for your support of Steve Perry.

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Just got the same email. Great news and hope they also get the color closer to the picture on the website.

NewKidInTown likes this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I am still listening to and loving this album (deluxe edition). One thing that has enhanced my enjoyment is altering the tracklisting. I drop a couple and then put it on random, always starting with "No Erasin'".

Just curious if any of y'all are tinkering with the running order. Do you have a "perfect" version of "Traces" you would like to share? I will post mine in a few days.

:cheers:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Following your post I went back and had a listen to this today.....as is often the case at this time of year, I played it a lot when it was released and then other releases' take over a bit.....however I still think as I did when it first came out that this is a pretty decent release and I actually quite like it as it is.....I do prefer some of the "bonus" tracks over the main release though.....but there is nothing I would drop.

artfromtex likes this.
  16. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

How is his version of I NEED YOU ?

17. artfromtex

maxwell2323 likes this.
  18. rushed again

A nice surprise email link I rec'd today.

artfromtex likes this.
  19. artfromtex

Very cool.

20. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

So I gotta be honest as probably his biggest fan, his voice on this sounds totally shot.
    I got this same email, and was excited to hear it, but it’s not good.
    Maybe I need to listen again.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is interesting how the buzz relating to this album has died down. Perry promoted the album hard during its initial release period, but without any supporting touring activity to tie-in, the enthusiasm only lasted for so long. Perhaps Perry will announce a tour of some sort in the new year, which will undoubtedly give the album a jolt, but I would be surprised if he engages in any extensive personal appearance work.

22. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Yeah
    The same thing happened with TBF
    Bottom line he won’t sing live, I don’t really blame him.
    He is nearly 70, he is known as The Voice.
    But I’m surprised he put out this Christmas song,
    It sounds so unfinished, and his vocals sound shocking.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do not think it was that shocking. It sounded fine to me. I suspect he put it together rather quickly without much post-production. Just a little gift to the fans.

24. rushed again

I eat my words now. They came through on the green tree marble replacement. Commendable.

25. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

It doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't sound much like prime Steve Perry. If you ask me, his voice hasn't been great since the 80's, and it's to easy to forget the slippage on records after that because none were big hits. I listen to post-80's Steve maybe once a year.

The comeback was a short one, I agree. I didn't hear any memorably good music. I don't think Steve cares much. He makes music primarily for his enjoyment.

Doggiedogma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.